Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The demand for craftsmen

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 2:10 pm
A reality about the job market must eventually begin to affect the valuation of a college education: The spread of wealth at the top of American society has created an explosive increase in the demand for craftsmen.

Finding a good lawyer or physician is easy. Finding a good carpenter, painter, electrician, plumber, glazier, mason--the list goes on and on--is difficult, and it is a seller's market. Journeymen craftsmen routinely make incomes in the top half of the income distribution while master craftsmen can make six figures. They have work even in a soft economy. Their jobs cannot be outsourced to India. And the craftsman's job provides wonderful intrinsic rewards that come from mastery of a challenging skill that produces tangible results. How many white-collar jobs provide nearly as much satisfaction?

http://www.opinionjournal.com/.....09535

su7kids

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 2:13 pm
My father is a motor mechanic. I went to a Jewish Day school of over 1000 kids, and there was my father and one other who had fathers who got their hands dirty!!

What can I tell you? My parents managed to send me to a private school and we lived very nicely! My mom ran the office, and my dad fixed (and still does, at 77 years old) cars.

I am extremely proud of him.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 2:18 pm
there's nothing as exhilirating as fixing s/t yourself ... but most people dont want women workers even though they can be just as good and even better in the fact that they are more detailed and less messy...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics