Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Struggling schools in small communities

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 6:00 pm
Sorry, have to keep it anonymous...my kids' school is really struggling; we're not sure if it'll be open in the fall. It's not a new school at all but the community is dying. So the school is in serious financial trouble.

Anyhow, my husband believes that all smaller communities have this problem. Is this true? That they struggle to this extent? Or is it possible to have a strong and stable yet small school in a small community?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 9:34 pm
bump

ShanaMatele

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 9:40 pm
I live in a smallish, OOT community. It has been my understanding that many, many small schools struggle, as do many large schools. Our local elementary school isn't in danger of closing B"H, but our community is struggling financially.

ETA: our community is growing, not shrinking, B"H.

Deep

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 9:42 pm
Unfortunately, it is impossible for a small school to survive without a steady influx of donations. A class of 12 children, paying even full tuition, will not nearly cover the cost of running it.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 9:58 pm
I live in a small oot community. BH our school is not in danger of closing, but it does rely very heavily on fundraising. Thank G-d we have very generous donors but in the fum community and outside of it that support it.
ALso the annual banquet has to gain a large amount each year.
Also its important that even people who are not wealthy give as much maaser to their school as possible. This is what helps keep it going.

Dina_B613

Post Tue, Apr 29 2014, 12:52 am
Check out an article in the OU's magazine, Jewish Action, about schools in smaller communities, community schools, etc., and some solutions that are working. I think schools can thrive - but it's much harder to cater to everyone when there aren't so many ones.

I think a lot of it depends on the general economic health of the city or town where you live, as well.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 29 2014, 7:01 am
Oh yes... and sometimes even big schools in big kehilot...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics