Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking for testimonials - advice please!

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 1:08 am
I would like to get testimonials from people I've helped in the past, to use in promoting/advertising my business. I feel really awkward and self conscious about asking and am not sure how to bring up the request. Can people who have done this before please offer some tips on how to ask for testimonials?

Part of the problem is that my business is just starting out, so the only people I have to ask are either people I haven't known very long or people who I helped as a favor years ago (in the same field that I now do for a business, I used to do at a pre-professional level.) It seems to me really really weird and kind of pathetic to call someone up and say "Hey, remember you were my grad school case study 5 years ago? Can you write me a letter saying how great I was and how much I helped you?" Or things like that. How do I approach this? Prospective clients in my business really want those recommendations from former clients, I think this will be an important step in getting off the ground.

penguin

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 1:28 am
Our local cosmetician, who created her own line of skin-care products, offered a 20% discount on products for posting your testimonial on her website. I don't know if this applies in your line of work, but perhaps you could do something similar.

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 1:34 am
I could consider that for the future, but right now the people I need to ask are really history. That's part of why it's so awkward.

kb

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:01 am
When I put together my website, I emailed past clients saying that I was looking for testimonials and that if they didn't mind writing one I'd appreciate it. Everyone I asked did so without any issues!

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:02 am
I'd love to do it by email! I don't have email contact with these past clients Sad Writing is so much less awkward! No, I have to cold call ghosts of my pasts to ask them a personal favor embarrassed

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:34 am
You could write to them...or leave a message, saying, "Please don't feel pressured, I am hoping a few of my past clients will be willing to write something for me." Making it non-pressured might make you feel less uncomfortable, - but also get fewer results!

Or you could have some friends & relations write fake ones! Lots of people do that....

seeker

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:59 am
Hm, writing could get ignored pretty easily but maybe it's worth a try. I do have mailing addresses for most of these people. I'd include a SASE. Thanks for the idea. feels a bit like wimping out but maybe it could even be more effective than a quickly forgotten phone call...

fly on the wall

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:05 am
I actually do this for my clients (as part of a marketing package)
I call their old ghosts and ask for testimonials. Usually they're very nice- I take it down quickly - don't expect anyone to write and send it to you. Occasionally someone actually doesn't want to, or they want to be anonymous,..

It may be easier if you also ask their advice about related topics- ppl like humility.
like- I'm taking a survey and I wanted to know if you found x helpful,...and then, "can I use you as a reference? "

In the future if s/o says s/t nice about your service-ask "do you mind if I quote you in marketing materials?"

kb

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:42 am
Depending what you do, mailing a request on a piece of your new stationary or a card of some sort may actually reinforce the idea that you're professional now! So doesn't have to be viewed as a cop out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics