Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
BEDBUGS at work!

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:04 am
I work in a state office building but am not a state employee. A few my co-workers have found bedbugs in their cubicles in the same room I work in. While I sit 30' +/- away from the known infected area, I am always over in their area sitting and working with them and could have carried some over to my area- or home!

I have not found any evidence of bedbugs in my cubicle or at home and I am too covered in mosquito bites from spending every Sunday outside to know if any of them are actually bedbug bites. Still, I am worried I may have brought some over. Evidently, there are already some dead ones in one co-workers cubicle, so they've been here for a while.

The building management, like most state run buildings, are acting slower than molasses. We don't know why they haven't gotten it sprayed yet. The problem was discovered last week but the exterminator wouldn't spray over the holiday weekend. They are 'trying to figure it out'.

I can't take the day off, since I am not a state employee so I don't get sick or vacation time.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in a work environment and also tell me my fears are unfounded?

proudema

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:44 am
I have no words of encouragement. I'm sorry. I had bedbugs in my home and it was literally a nightmare. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's easy for me to say, but if I were you, I would refuse to come into work until the problem was taken care of. It's like a plague. Believe me you do not want bedbugs anywhere near you.

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:52 am
We had this at my job a few years ago, too. (It was a City of New York building.)

If you are in NYC, call 311 and the Dept of Labor hotlines just to ask what do do. They'll send out an inspector and then they'll deal with it.

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
We had this at my job a few years ago, too. (It was a City of New York building.)

If you are in NYC, call 311 and the Dept of Labor hotlines just to ask what do do. They'll send out an inspector and then they'll deal with it.

Unfortunately, I am not in NYC

Lady Bug

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 12:01 pm
Firstly, you can buy some bedbug spray in the hardware store and spray around your cubicle until the exterminator comes. Then, get matress covers for your beds. This will protect your mattress, as well as make it easier to spot any bedbugs if you do get it, which is very likely.

ROFL

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:46 pm
I went to a concert in Lincoln center right after they had bed bugs. I took big plastic bags and covered the chairs with the bags after the performance I just left them there. But if I were you I would cover your chair everyday in a fresh plastic bag, I would not bring any coats pocketbooks or anything that can transfer bedbugs in hidden areas. When you get home take shoes off outside the door and check all areas to make sure no buggies follow you. strip at the door putting clothes in plastic bag and straight into washing machine and go take a hot shower.
Good luck.

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:56 pm
Can someone please post what a bed bug looks like. We have different types of bugs in my house was wondering
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics