Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
FT Working Moms - how much does excl breastfeeding cost you?

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 9:19 am
Saving money over formula is not why I pump and I would want to EBF even if it was more expensive. But you hear all the time that nursing is "free" and that has not been true at all for me as a FT working mom with long hours. The pump was fully covered by insurance, but I've still bought:

Extra set of parts to keep at work so I don't have to carry back & forth

Freezer bags

Cooler for transporting to/from work

2 hands free pump bras

Manual pump for circumstances where can't use electric pump

Extra membranes

Labels for bottles (plain postal labels, not overpriced baby labels)

Nursing bras

Pads to contain leaking

New regular bras to wear to work in my new giant size

Microwave sterilizer bags

And that's just off the top of my head. If I'm motivated enough, I may edit this OP to add more things.

Now I realize that some of these things could technically be done without, but given the demands of my job, I need to time save everywhere possible.

For the working moms who EBF, how much would you estimate it costs you?

STovah

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 10:59 am
Aside from the pump which I bought for one of my older kids (I also received a pump through insurance but I don't like that one much), I purchased the following:
Nursing pads
1 box of freezer bags (I only use when I have no bottle covers handy)
Extra package of membranes

I'm not really bothered by bringing the pump attachments to and from work and I don't use a cooler to transport the milk back and forth. The milk can stay unrefrigerated for some time without a problem. I just carry the milk and pump pieces in a shopping bag or tote. The time saver for me is that my housekeeper/nanny washes the pieces when I get home before she leaves if she has time. I pump at my desk and manage to get work done without a hands-free getup.

The nursing bras I wear whether at work or not are just regular bras with the straps converted. Not sure why you need regular ones for work and separate nursing bras.

Overall, I doubt I've spent more than $125 nursing/pumping for my soon to be 1 year old.

Marion

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:05 am
I don't consider those nursing expenses I consider those work expenses. I don't buy freezer bags; I use the Playtex nurser system so I need those bags anyway. (Not drop ins, the classic bags.) I bought my pump(s) with children #1 and #2, so that didn't cost anything after that. I use cloth breast pads, and 3 out of 4 packs (6/pack) were a gift. I never bothered with the cooler. I had my manual pump at home and my double electric at work; I'd bring it home once a week for a more thorough clean. (Disclaimer: after DS#1 was about 6 months old I stopped sterilizing. That was around the time he started eating dirt out of the planters.) I wore nursing bras to work, so no duplication there.

Really it doesn't cost me all that much.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:07 am
Formula is definitely more.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:14 am
OP

$125 is very nice. Almost free.

Id prefer to keep focus off of nitpicking whether I personally "need" all the things I buy, and I have already said that they're not all needs, strictly speaking. Just trust that, given my body, job, commute, and other circumstances they all contribute meaningfully towards making EBF feasible and less annoying for me. But if other people's circumstances make some of these things completely superfluous, that's great.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:22 am
OP

I am TOTALLY getting cloth pads.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:27 am
If you're trying to save time, cloth pads are probably not for you. Unless you buy a huge stock of them, it's more of a hassle to keep track of when you're running low and making sure to wash them. I mean, I think they're great, but based on what you've posted, maybe not for you.

SplitPea

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:29 am
It seems yoy bought many things out of ease. Why do you need two sets of pump parts? (Even a stay at home mom will want one set) - and hospitals will give you a free setup you just need to ask. Medela ones fit the advent pumps.

Why do you need two hands free pumping bras? One is more than enough.

nursing bras even a stay at home mom buys and honestly after birth most moms need new bras anyway nursing or not.

You only need the bags when you are out of reusable bottles Smile

No need for a cooler. A old kids lunch box will do just fine. And most hospitals give away "nursing kits" with small cooking bags from the formula companies.

Also hospitals will give you a hand pump free. Just ask next time!

Also labels. There is something called a Chinese marker. It will write on the bottles and wipe off.

Nursing pads I use cloth and wash daily with kids clothing.
------

As a stay at home mom I have bought MOST of the same stuff you have! I just don't buy doubles.

Last edited by SplitPea on Fri, May 30 2014, 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:30 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
If you're trying to save time, cloth pads are probably not for you. Unless you buy a huge stock of them, it's more of a hassle to keep track of when you're running low and making sure to wash them. I mean, I think they're great, but based on what you've posted, maybe not for you.
. Oops embarrassed too late. darn you Amazon Prime for being so convenient. You're probably right. They will just end up like my socks, randomly stuffed into crevices around the house and under furniture.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:31 am
Pump is many times free from insurance. I didn't need spare parts. Bottles are the same as formula feeding, no extra cost there. You can store in ziploc bags if you want too. I bought cloth pads, but even if I was formula feeding, I would need them after birth, so I don't count that as a cost. So basically nothing.

questioner

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Saving money over formula is not why I pump and I would want to EBF even if it was more expensive. But you hear all the time that nursing is "free" and that has not been true at all for me as a FT working mom with long hours. The pump was fully covered by insurance, but I've still bought:

Extra set of parts to keep at work so I don't have to carry back & forth

Freezer bags

Cooler for transporting to/from work

2 hands free pump bras

Manual pump for circumstances where can't use electric pump

Extra membranes

Labels for bottles (plain postal labels, not overpriced baby labels)

Nursing bras

Pads to contain leaking

New regular bras to wear to work in my new giant size

Microwave sterilizer bags

And that's just off the top of my head. If I'm motivated enough, I may edit this OP to add more things.

Now I realize that some of these things could technically be done without, but given the demands of my job, I need to time save everywhere possible.

For the working moms who EBF, how much would you estimate it costs you?

It's too late by now, but my insurance covered replacement parts and extra parts, and even allows 2 pumps per calendar year. I don't know if this is typical or not, but it's worth calling your insurance company and asking.

All breastfeeding supplies are tax-deductible. If you have a Health Flexible Savings account you should be able to use it to buy the milk bags (maybe pads? not sure? I'd ask about nursing bras, but I doubt that would be covered). Otherwise, it counts as medical expenses that are tax-deductible when they are over 7.5%? of your income.

lfab

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:54 am
Buying the pump was only an expense with my first. After that I only needed to purchase nursing pads and storage bags. To save money on the storage bags I only use them to freeze my milk from Friday over the weekends or if I pump more than I need. Otherwise I just use the milk from one day for the next days feedings. Never bought the sterilizer bags just placed parts in a pot of boiling water when I felt they needed a deep clean. In total probably around $100 dollars per child I nursed (but I only nursed between 6-8 months so calculate a little more if nursing/pumping longer). So while not free, pretty close to it considering the cost of formula.

mandr

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:03 pm
-First pump: free from insurance
-Second pump to keep at home: $45 on ebay
-Milk storage bags: 300 for $45 - still on same package for ages
-Pumping bras: $90
-Extra pump parts: Got free from pump company because my machine wasn't working so well and they told me to try with new parts so they sent me them.
-Manual pump: $25
-Cooler bag: free from hospital - promo from Enfamil (I gave the formula away to someone who uses it).

I did not buy special pumping bras, no pads for me (sister gave me a few once but I never bought more). No sterilizing bags.

So total cost is about $200. A special present for my baby Smile He is worth it.

proudema

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:17 pm
I nursed while working FT and I have to say all I bought was a pump. Cost me a couple hundred dollars, it's came with plenty of bottles, extra membranes and a cooler with ice packs. The only thing I had to keep buying was batteries for the battery pack. I didn't always have access to an outlet. It's much cheaper then formula feeding, financially anyway. Emotionally and physically nursing costs a lot more Very Happy

imamom7

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:37 pm
I sympathize with the op- I'm a therapist so pumping costs me a session as we treat on the half hour so I have to drop one patient-it for sure costs more than formula for me

chatz

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:57 pm
I can't believe no one mentioned extra food and chocolate for the hormonal mom! Especially between the hours of 1 - 6 am! Twisted Evil

That being said, when I nursed and pumped, I brought: nursing pads, nursing bras, milk bags, extra bottles. The pump was free. I also brought a cheap hand pump for times when I needed to pump a little bit and didn't have patience to set up the whole shabang. I had a fridge at work. It's been awhile, but maybe $250?

I actually have a lot less equipment with formula feeding. 2-3 bottles for twins and that's it.

busydev

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 11:59 pm
I dont find it cost me that much. got 1 free pump with my first. bought a few packs of gerber bottles (9 for $10) for storage and a couple playtex ventaire for feedings. got a hands free pumping bra. nursing bras I would have needed anyway. ditto nursing pads. tho after the first few weeks I wear them more as nipple shields/just in case.
I bought a few replacement parts and another pack of bottles with my second.
oh and a couple ice packs.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:00 am
imamom7 wrote:
I sympathize with the op- I'm a therapist so pumping costs me a session as we treat on the half hour so I have to drop one patient-it for sure costs more than formula for me

Yup. For me, the biggest expense is the loss of billable hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics