Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ateres Tzvi - ACADEMIC LEVEL
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 4:08 pm
Does anyone have first hand information about the ACADEMIC LEVEL of Ateres Tzvi in Monsey?
I am very interested in finding out what the level of learning is. I have done my research about "who fits in" (which seems to be most of what gets discussed on these posts in regards to schools.)
I would like to know what happens within the walls of the school in terms of faculty, policies, and learning.
Are the graduating boys ready for a high-level high school, with the ability to pass the NY State Regents, and possibly go on to college?
Thank you for your input.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone have first hand information about the ACADEMIC LEVEL of Ateres Tzvi in Monsey?
I am very interested in finding out what the level of learning is. I have done my research about "who fits in" (which seems to be most of what gets discussed on these posts in regards to schools.)
I would like to know what happens within the walls of the school in terms of faculty, policies, and learning.
Are the graduating boys ready for a high-level high school, with the ability to pass the NY State Regents, and possibly go on to college?
Thank you for your input.

From what I can see from my son's friends not at all.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:56 pm
my ds was in the yeshiva until first grade. There was no secular education until first grade. There is a wonderful women that runs the secular department. It seems to me that the school doeant provide her with the necessary support to make the english department something to value.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:55 pm
My neighbor's kids are in that cheder.
Probably similar to Bobov cheder education-wise.
It's not enough to be able to graduate high school or be prepared for college.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:01 pm
OP here. Thanks for all responses.
Interesting....They claim that the students take the NY State standard tests, and that they are prepared for regents.
The principal as much as said that the curriculum is on par with YSV and better than Darchei Noam.
Does anyone have details on this? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks for all responses.
Interesting....They claim that the students take the NY State standard tests, and that they are prepared for regents.
The principal as much as said that the curriculum is on par with YSV and better than Darchei Noam.

Which principle? I cant see Mrs. Indig making such a claim. I pulled my DS out after Pre1A and put him into YSV for 1st grade. We had alot of work to make up since he didnt know how to write or read.

Every school that accepts government funding must give the kids the standardized tests. I am not sure if the results are public knowledge, but if it is maybe someone on IMAMOTHER can help you out.

When we went to the school interview we were told that after graduation the boys go to all different yeshivas. From Noviminsk to real chasidish ones. I personally think that high school prepares you for college.

My experience in the yeshivas was actually great. We like that the school was small and warm. There is no perfect school, but we were willing to look away from certain things. Unfortunately in the end the school was not a great match for my DS.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:56 pm
OP here. I spoke with Rabbi Greenfeld, who was introduced as the principal. He referred to Mrs. Indig as the curriculum advisor. Rabbi Greenfeld was the one who made those claims.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I spoke with Rabbi Greenfeld, who was introduced as the principal. He referred to Mrs. Indig as the curriculum advisor. Rabbi Greenfeld was the one who made those claims.

As the curriculum adviser Mrs Indig makes all decisions for the secular department curriculum. She chooses the text books and help the teachers plan lessons.

I would talk to her if the decision to send to the school will be based only on the secular education.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
on par with YSV and better than Darchei Noam.

Since when is YSV BETTER than Darchei Noam?

And I would be more concerned about the corporal punishment than the level of secular learning (which is of course not high priority). Make sure you are ready to follow ALL their rules, including regarding your own clothing, behavior, etc. or there could be repercussions on your child.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:33 pm
One thing missed is that YSV has the ability to provide any therapy or remedial help needed through the school district of East Ramapo. Ateres Tzvi and Darchei Noam are in Ramapo Central and receiving any help from that district, even if eligible, is not so simple.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:09 am
Ateres Tzvi is NOT like YSV or Darchei Noam. They're a reg. good chassidish cheder only their tuition price is the same as the aforementioned schools.
Rabbi Greenfeld is the (new) yiddish principal for the lower grades.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
Since when is YSV BETTER than Darchei Noam?

And I would be more concerned about the corporal punishment than the level of secular learning (which is of course not high priority). Make sure you are ready to follow ALL their rules, including regarding your own clothing, behavior, etc. or there could be repercussions on your child.

YSV is considered a much better school than Darchei Noam.

morahaviva

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 9:34 am
My husband teaches in several high schools in Monsey, and says that the kids from YSV come in on a much lower level than the ones from Darchei Noam. Darchei Noam has a stronger secular department, is more serious about science, etc..

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:05 pm
can anyone compare ateres tzvi and bais dovid as far as the learning goes?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:11 pm
Is Ateres Tzvi under the auspices of Rabbi Rottenberg from Forshay?

[I'm not the OP]

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
can anyone compare ateres tzvi and bais dovid as far as the learning goes?

bais dovid's secular education is a joke. They don't start english until I think 3rd grade. Any parent that cares about their kids secular education provides their DS with tutors, and/or teach their kids the abc's and how to read by themselves.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
Is Ateres Tzvi under the auspices of Rabbi Rottenberg from Forshay?

[I'm not the OP]

Yes

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:53 pm
morahaviva wrote:
My husband teaches in several high schools in Monsey, and says that the kids from YSV come in on a much lower level than the ones from Darchei Noam. Darchei Noam has a stronger secular department, is more serious about science, etc..

It is a different crowd that sends there. The more serious families don't consider that school. It is better than Ashar which they wouldn't consider either.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
It is a different crowd that sends there. The more serious families don't consider that school. It is better than Ashar which they wouldn't consider either.

Um... "More serious" about what?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 12:33 am
Ateres Zvi better than ASHAR ?!?!? (Neither is YSV or Darchei Noam) In what? In secular subjects? At belittling their importance maybe. Better at corporal punishment? Better at teaching that derech eretz is only for Rabbonim?
PUHLEEESE.
If you want to believe it to justify yourself, or to convince yourself, fine. But dont come out with such comments and expect anyone who really wants the truth to believe it.
Yes, it is certainly a more right wing school. Yes, the limudei kodesh are stronger. BUT THATS IT!
From someone who taught in 2 of the 3 schools (other than Aterez Zvi), trust me on this one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics