Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
ISO warm,caring, BY type seminary in Israel....Help!!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:00 pm
Hi!
My DD is from a Brooklyn Bais Yakov. She is what they would call BJJ material, however she is not interested in that type of seminary. She wants a Seminary that teaches Hashkafa, rather than learning all the time. She is a very sensitive type of girl, prone to home sickness, but wants to give this a shot for a once in a lifetime opportunity. She wants, as do we , a staff that is caring, kind, and warm to the girls. That every Shabbos and Yom Tov, she doesn't have to worry from one Shabbos to the next about where she will be for Shabbos as every Shabbos is an off Shabbos. She doesn't want to be a number as if they are doing her the biggest favor by accepting her (which we know they are!). Do any seminaries like this exist? TY

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:02 pm
Many years ago I remember that Me'ohr was hashkafa lead learning (rather then text based learning).
And its a warm school.
I think they are on the Neve campus which may mean they have a better shabbos and yom tov setup (but I'm not sure).

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:12 pm
Binas.
How helpful are your school principals?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:25 pm
I'm 54 . I want to go to a place like you described
Then I want a kind caring affectionate husband who makes a living and cleans up after himself

Appearance and intimacy is optional

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Binas.
How helpful are your school principals?

Please be careful regarding Binas as it is one of the Seminaries headed by Elimelech Meisels who is accused of s-xual abuse against his own seminary students.

emhabanim

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:27 pm
Machon Raaya

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
Please be careful regarding Binas as it is one of the Seminaries headed by Elimelech Meisels who is accused of s-xual abuse against his own seminary students.

Yah I was nervous about mentioning it. It really fit the bill when a family member went. Sure, I'd be careful but I think that by next year these seminaries might be viable again. People will have to do their homework.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:29 pm
My DD is in Binas now. We did alot of research and are very comfortable with her there. The (current)staff is amazing. That said, it's a lot more work than DD thought it would be. Very warm and nice and she loves it, but more academic than she expected. How about Ateres?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:50 pm
Keser Chaya - it is a warm, caring environment. They place the girls for Shabbos if they need it. THe em habayit has girls over often also so girls feel at home there and form a kesher with her. The school sent out a list of all of the key people in the seminary and their phone numbers so you have someone to contact if you have questions or concerns.

It is a sister school to Binas (it's a little less academic, more hashkafa). Do your homework but this school fits your criteria.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Many years ago I remember that Me'ohr was hashkafa lead learning (rather then text based learning).
And its a warm school.
I think they are on the Neve campus which may mean they have a better shabbos and yom tov setup (but I'm not sure).

Meohr has never been on Neve Campus just to clear that up.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:27 pm
Thanks. I thought it moved there very recently. But I guess I mixed it up with another.
I was in a seminary on the Neve campus and I loved that they supplied food almost all the time, and organized meals second day of yom tov so I think of it as a good place to be based.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:33 pm
Bnos chava is warm and caring and its on the neve campus. I heard it caters to a rich crowed. I don't know if it is a problem for you. Machon Raaya is warm but a bit less yeshivish. How much to the right do you want the seminary to be?

momesq

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:46 pm
Anyone know anything about Ateres or Darchai bina?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:15 am
Machon raya does sound like a good fit, it may be a bit more academic though than what you describe but there are a choice of elective classes so she can choose classes that are better suited to her. But the warmth is there, as is the shabbos placing and being able to stay in. They get a mix of NY and out of town.

I went to Darchei Binah, and am sort of still in touch... what did you want to know?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:51 am
momesq wrote:
Anyone know anything about Ateres or Darchai bina?

Ateres is more BY than Darchei Bina.
Ateres is a bais yakov seminary, more out of town though.
I know many many who went to Ateres and they loved it. The staff there is extremely warm and very straight, no shtick. I know them personally and have hosted there girls often. I was always impressed with them. They have 3 tracks so the first is more academic. They always make optional ins or place girls.
Their aim bayits are very warm and always there for the girls as well as having 2 life coaches on staff for guidance and teachers and principals who are available to the girls.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
Keser Chaya - it is a warm, caring environment. They place the girls for Shabbos if they need it. THe em habayit has girls over often also so girls feel at home there and form a kesher with her. The school sent out a list of all of the key people in the seminary and their phone numbers so you have someone to contact if you have questions or concerns.

It is a sister school to Binas (it's a little less academic, more hashkafa). Do your homework but this school fits your criteria.

Again, be careful!!! This is also an institution run by Elimelech Meisels who is accused of s-xual abuse against the students over a few years time.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:03 am
Bnos Chava is much more text based learning then hashkafa based learning.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:19 am
My DD is in Keser Chay which was owned by Meisels.

I spent the whole summer researching the situation and decided in the end to send my DD. (There were no incidents in that school but there were in other of the schools)

Keser Chaya is as you described the type of school your DD would like.

In the beginning of the school year the girls were given classes in safety so the girls should know how to protect themselves. The school is not hiding what happened and the students are well aware of it.

I don't know if in the future I will send other daughters there. My daughter there loves it and is having the time of her life (we speak everyday).

You should also look into Lahav which is for a half a year and I think it is hashkafa oriented as well.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:01 pm
if you look into Lahav, as it's a newer place, talk to parents and girls who are there now.

ettilou

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:35 am
Bumping.....any more ideas??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children