Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Keeping an 11 year old occupied on a Shabbos

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 11:40 am
The child that I work with in school is coming to my house for Shabbos in two weeks time. He is from a non Frum background and I want to give him a really good Shabbos, basically a Shabbos that he will remember for EVER. With this in mind and also keeping in mind that this child uses his TV, gamboy, etc... to keep him occupied how do I go about keeping him occupied? Any suggestions?

Last edited by rainbow baby on Fri, May 18 2007, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 11:43 am
Oh yes one other point, Shabbos does not go out untill 10:42 that week, now you can see why I need suggestions on how to keep him occupied. His Mum has just told me he goes to bed around 9- 9:30 at weekends.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 2:24 pm
I would say try to set up a play date with a neighborhood kid (unless you have a kid close in age). Have some board games, good books, etc, available.

(PS I was wondering what an "olf" was for a minute till I figured out what you meatn!)

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 2:31 pm
Thanks I've changed it, it took me a few minutes to figure out what you where talking about.
Ok I'll think of who I can find for him to play with. I have three boys the oldest is 7 so we will see how it goes.

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 5:59 pm
Could you invite two boys from the class together? I wouldn't set up the play date with a frum child without explaining to the parents and getting their permission. They might not like it.

What about a visit to the park? A tour around your neighbourhood? (You teach children who are not local, right?) If he doesn't have younger siblings he might find it quite a novelty to read stories to your children. Buy or borrow a few age-appropriate board games or card games which you can play with him, preferably which your children can join in with your help.

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:45 pm
I just thought that I should let you all know how it went. Well BH it went really well. The kid had a great time and learnt alot from it. My kids loved having him around and BH nothing was really said, e.g. television, etc..... If anything was mentioned we would either quickly but nicely change the subject or if it was at the Shabbos table we started a song. He enjoyed shul and there was a kiddish which he loved, he enjoyed playing with the other children. We played loads of board games and BH the weather was fantastic so they could all play outside all afternoon. Around 5ish we kind of got bored with the board games and BH for my neighbour and her trampaline that was the savier. The kids went next door with us and we sat chatting and the kids played on and off the trampaline. So basically it went really well. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children