Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do I get those yellow stains out?

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 10:58 pm
I just had my second girl, my older one is 6 and I went to take out the summer baby clothing and they are all yellow even though I washed everything before packing them up Sad
Does anyone know of anything to get them clean or do I have to throw it all out and go shopping again? I am too tired to shop so please please give me some ideas..

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 10:59 pm
Bleach I'm a big believer in it. And I haven't ruined anything from it yet!

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 11:03 pm
What do you mean? Do I just add bleach to the washing machine with the detergent? How much? Thanks.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 11:53 pm
If they aren't white, hold the bleach!!!!!

It will fade everything.

Try an overnight soak in hot (or warm if you are worried about colors) and several scoops of oxyclean.

My baby clothing always has those stains after being put away too.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 11:54 pm
PS And mazal tov Wink

Tefila

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 12:11 am
Mazel Tov too Smile

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 2:40 pm
Mazal Tov!
im wondering what you store your baby clothing in- im getting a little anxious now about all our clothing we have sitting in storage...

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 3:26 pm
Thanks everyone for your tips. I have to go and look for oxyclean - It sounds like it is some kind of detergent.
I keep my clothing in large rubbermaid containers: They are blue and say 'Roughneck' on the lid. I don't know what caused the stains, I did have some new clothing in there and they didn't stain.

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 3:37 pm
it is a detergent

micki

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 5:04 pm
I store them the same way and mine aslos came out yellow. when I put it away it did not have stains, but after sitting for 5 years they did.

everywhere the baby spit up once they were there.
it looks awful.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 6:33 pm
It's a detergent booster, that 'oxydizes' stains.

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 7:16 pm
yellow stains are not caused by the way you store things. They are stains that are there but invisible to the eye. After a period of time they show up as yellow stains.
Nature Bright from Shaklee is a great product (not available in stores) to get rid of these stains.

supermom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2005, 8:07 am
but then how is it possible that the whole garments as some said turned all yellow?

motheroftwo

Post Fri, Jun 10 2005, 11:29 am
I was under the impression they meant yellow stains.
I'm curious to know though b/c I've never had that happen where the whole thing turned yellow.

chavamom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2005, 3:55 pm
Yes, yellow stains that 'develop' over time in storage.

supermom

Post Sat, Jun 11 2005, 1:54 pm
mommy912 mentioned that they were all yellow. what did you do at the end?

chen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 1:12 pm
supermom wrote:
but then how is it possible that the whole garments as some said turned all yellow?

Same reason old books, old plastic and old wedding gowns turn yellow--natural oxidation which eventually happens to nearly all organic materials over time. It is exactly like the cut surface of a potato turning brown. It happens quickly on a potato because the potato contains enzymes that speed up the process. Individual stains are places where something spilled --e.g. juice or soda--that oxidizes more quickly than the fabric itself. Heat also speeds up the process, so if the clothes are stored in a warm place the stains will blossom that much more quickly.

Bleaches work by reversing the oxidation process. They do not actually remove the spilled material, so the stains may reappear, either over time or when exposed to heat, e.g. in a hot dryer or when ironed. You can go back-and-forth with this oxidation/reduction (technical term for "deoxidizing") a number of times.

motheroftwo, you've probably never had anything turn yellow all over because your stuff just isn't old enough! Ask your mother or grandmother.

cindy324

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 6:31 pm
Freilich had the right idea with the bleach, but try clorox2 , it's a bleach for colors. It got out a lot of tough stains by me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry