Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Coming in from Israel. Give me simcha advice

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 11:04 pm
HI Y'all
and hi to anybody who recognizes me Wave Wave
I am coming in from Israel between purim and pesach for a wedding in NY.
I have a gazillion questions.
Ultimately I am a non conformist and will wear things that I like even if they are not in fashion. But I don't want to be downright weird and out of place so I would like to know how things are done and whats "IN". and then I can make an educated Decision of my own.
what kind of gowns- color/material/style are worn and pre pesach weddings in NY?
what kind of outfits are worn to weekday sheva brachos (I'm a SIL of the bride)?
what kind of outfits are worn to shabbos sheva brachos.
can I wear a long dress for shabbos sheva brachos (its a cross between a maxi dress and a simple gown)?
Is this time of year sweater time, or summer dress? winter colors? or summer colors?
pictures and links will be great! I am thin and average height.
also I have an almost 1 year old baby.
do I get a gown for her too? how about for sheva brachos? shabbos??

aussie2

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:16 am
Don't think I can answer all you questions..
But- for sure get your baby a gown or s/t nice.. (possibly even a nice 2 piece w/ headband etc.. can't rem if you specified boy/girl.. if its a boy nice vest outfit..
Also depends if they are planning on having all the kids matching..

I have seen diff things by wedding.. some ppl are doing 2 piece gowns now.. while others wearing chiffon straight gowns.. just a bit flairy etc (meaning no puffy gowns)

Shabbos sheva brachos.. I would say basically dressy shabbos outfit. maybe s/t you would wear to friends wedding but a bit simpler (depends on the family.. some would wear dress while others just a nice flairy skirt w/ patterned top. or the like can do s/t w/ a bit of sequins.. I'm not quite the fashinista ..

Regular sheva brachos I have found that ppl toned down.. basically nice weekday or simple shabbos (bec of the styles they can kind of overlap.. the way ppl put together tops and skirts..

best of luck!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 5:48 am
bump. this probably got overlooked cuz I posted during israel action hours

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 5:55 am
It all depends with what crowd you'll be... I'm not fashionista, but abt baby make sure to have proper arrangements or you'll have to spend entire night caring for a baby in unknown surroundings...

mommyofd1

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 6:33 pm
where are you going? new York fashions are different then LA styles

Roots

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 12:18 am
I noticed that in israel they dress way simpler for weddings than in the us. in a israeli american wedding we had the whole american side was with chiffon taffeta etc gowns and the other side was more plain dresses - now idk of that is everywhere but in ny dress up more fancy than in israel. you can always find something from a gmach there or even here: http://kosherconsignments.com/......aspx I saw this add on imamother and they have nice gowns
shabbat 7 brachot you can wear a dress or nice suit.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 1:25 am
Yes, NY weddings tend to be more formal and dressed up than EY weddings.

As for what specifically is "in" among the wedding guests: I think it totally depends on what sort of crowd is attending the wedding. Are you planning on doing a quick shop in the US, or back home?

Department stores have a category called "wedding guest dresses" in their on-line catalogs. You can browse to get an idea (although there is also quite a range of styles/levels of formality):
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/we.....esses
http://www1.macys.com/shop/wom.....=5449

Sanguine

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 4:28 am
I posted this on that other thread (the "shallow Question" one), but she was only from OOT - this fits someone from Israel more so I'm posting it for you
Quote:
Coming from Israel going to a simcha in NY, I discussed with a friend here who was just in NY for a wedding, what to wear to not look like the poor Israeli relatives. She said - Forget it!! You'll buy what you think is the most amazing dress and you won't even come close.

They're right - Buy something great for your baby (go to a Gamach in NY) and hold her up in front of you Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 4:32 am
amother wrote:
HI Y'all
and hi to anybody who recognizes me Wave Wave
I am coming in from Israel between purim and pesach for a wedding in NY.
Why are you amother? Afraid your house will get robbed when you're in chu"l? Afraid we'll ask you to bring something back for us??

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 4:49 am
If somebody here knows me. the details will give me away
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics