Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Wedding gift for older couple

amother

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 6:25 am
DH has a non-Frum cousin who is probably in his 40s and is getting married for the second time. The bride I think is in her middle 30s and this might be her first marriage. They both have been living intheir own apartments and have probably have tons of stuff. my MIL thinks it would be nice to get them a Jewish something but I can't imagine that they will use it or appreciate it, decorative item would have to match their house and taste and they have 2 full kitchens that they must already be combining. Any suggestions?

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 6:48 am
I know it is somewhat late but maybe not.

You could get them a leatherbound kiddush and candle lighting (I don't know what it's called ) booklet? I have them for teffilat hashla, candle lighting, rosh hashana seder.

A nice silver mezuzah case? Silver/wooden challah board with a challah cover with their family name on it?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 8:15 am
What about a lovely white tablecloth with a Jewish pattern on it for Shabbos/Yomim Tovim

chen

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 4:18 pm
it depends on how not frum is 'not frum". If they observe absolutely nothing, you want to go easy on the religious articles. I'd go for a framed Birchas habayis in English or with English translation (it's very pareve, doesn't even mention g-d's name) or a chanuka menoroh. the shabbos/yomtov tablecloth idea is a good one, too.

If they're the teeniest little bit observant, more specialized Judaica items like a seder plate or a mezuzoh would do. I'd hold off on the challoh accessories unless I believed they occasionally make a shabbos or yomtov dinner.

Although I am not fond of gift certificates as a rule, this is one case in which it may be worthwhile to get together with a few relatives and get them a gift certificate to a good judaica store, preferably one that sells online or through a catalog if it's not in their hometown. That way they will get something jewish, to their taste, that they will either use or at least enjoy looking at.

theweddingplaner

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 4:10 pm
what about the spice and sprite cook book it is really nice one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics