Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Do you listen to music during Sefirah?
1  2  Next

Do you listen to music during Sefirah?
Yes - only acapella  
 41%  [ 39 ]
Yes - as long as its not live music  
 38%  [ 36 ]
No music during Sefirah  
 20%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 94

blueberries

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:36 am
We hold that only acapella music is allowed. I was just wondering because some hold only live music is not allowed.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:15 pm
You don't have an option for other.

We don't listen to music in general. I did once ask a shaila about playing music meant for children (particularly to keep them calm in the car). Our rav told us it wasn't a problem because we weren't listening for our own enjoyment and that most parents can't stand kiddie music anyway. Very Happy

morningsickness

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:27 pm
DH told me that the issur is only for "mecholot" music- music that makes you want to dance.. Hence, I listen to any slow type song I want.

Helig.daughter

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:31 pm
You forgot an option for no music all year. According to reb Moshe music is only mutar by weddings or seudas mitzva or chinuch.

Funny how everyone knows his kulas and no one follows his chumrahs

blushy

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:35 pm
Dh holds we can listen when we're traveling, and it will help the driver stay awake during a long drive. Also for doing exercise (which I never do lately.) Otherwise we don't.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:07 pm
I listen to acapella music that is very slow, mellow, sounds like just voices. I stopped listening to acapella that sounds amazingly similar to music with instruments. Its amazing what these singers can do but it felt inappropriate to me.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:09 pm
No. But I wish I could Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:11 pm
I'm fine with no music at all during Sefirah, but my special needs kiddo MUST have her music in order to self soothe.

DH, who is usually super machmir, says that as long as she needs it, it's fine. He doesn't even mind if I sing along in the background, because I'm not the one who chose the music, and I'm not playing it for my own benefit.

(She's singing "Let it Go" for the 20th time right now. Rolling Eyes Frankly, I'd prefer silence. )

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:23 pm
Music is my parnassa, so, as per the answer I have gotten from my own posek, and the poskim of the schools I teach in, I continue to use it as I need to in preparing, practicing, and teaching. I do not play for enjoyment during sefira or the 3 weeks. I also introduce my younger students to the tuning fork and the ways to make music without instruments during this time.

I can't imagine anyone living a life without music altogether. For me, it would be like living a life without human touch. A significant piece of me would shrivel up and die.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:44 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
You don't have an option for other.

We don't listen to music in general. I did once ask a shaila about playing music meant for children (particularly to keep them calm in the car). Our rav told us it wasn't a problem because we weren't listening for our own enjoyment and that most parents can't stand kiddie music anyway. Very Happy

You don't listen to music in general for religious reasons? May I ask what they are?

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:47 pm
I listen to a capella music, and will also listen to appropriate music on Yom Hashoah and Yom Hazikaron (including live) since it's the opposite of the music that's banned during sefirah.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:12 pm
Helig.daughter wrote:
You forgot an option for no music all year. According to reb Moshe music is only mutar by weddings or seudas mitzva or chinuch.

Funny how everyone knows his kulas and no one follows his chumrahs
why would music not be muttar at all?

Helig.daughter

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
why would music not be muttar at all?

Zecher L Churban ...

see kitzur shulchan aruch

www.yonahnewman.org

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:18 pm
Helig.daughter wrote:
Zecher L Churban ...

see kitzur shulchan aruch

www.yonahnewman.org
ok. but you also said that people rely on his kulot and not hischumrot. But it could also be that not everyone holds this way or according to this rav.
Personally, I never learned such a thing. Ever.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 7:39 pm
MamaBear wrote:
You don't listen to music in general for religious reasons? May I ask what they are?

I meant during sefira.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:28 pm
I'm pretty sure my grandfather holds of never listening to music because zecher l'churban. Also, he doesn't allow any photos of people on display (because of avodah zara? not sure.) He also holds of cutting off the nose or ear of a baby doll (kid's toy) because of avodah zara. Just giving those other two examples for context to explain the type of person IME who actually holds by the "no music ever except weddings" chumra.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:29 pm
I would have checked off other.

We hold that only acapela is allowed but if you are depressed you can listen to music if it's not live.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 9:17 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I'm pretty sure my grandfather holds of never listening to music because zecher l'churban. Also, he doesn't allow any photos of people on display (because of avodah zara? not sure.) He also holds of cutting off the nose or ear of a baby doll (kid's toy) because of avodah zara. Just giving those other two examples for context to explain the type of person IME who actually holds by the "no music ever except weddings" chumra.

I've heard of the other ones, but not the music one. I know a convert who went way frum and got rid of all of her family photos, even the really rare ones of her ancestors. I thought it was sad. (No, she didn't save them to a photo album, she told me. Sad )

I also know lots of people who cut the nose off of their styrofoam sheitel heads. DD manages to play with mine and ruin the faces anyway, so no problems there!

I also know people who firmly sew doll clothes onto the dolls (who are meant to change wardrobes) so that the dolls can never be "naked". I have to admit, seeing naked Barbie dolls does kinda creep me out, but DD loves to dress them up. I just wish she keep them clothed when she's not playing with them. Go ahead, call me crazy.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:12 am
naked barbies in a little girl's toy box I think I can handle. naked life-size mannequins with "anatomical detailing", especially the impossibly voluptuous, provocatively posed ones in the pritzus clothing stores in my neighborhood, are another story. Bad enough when wearing what passes for clothing by them, but when not...oy.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:13 am
Do cellphone alarms and ringtones count?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days