Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does this sound positive or probably not?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 8:19 pm
So I have been out of the work force for many years. There is a nonprofit organization nearby and today I went to see the director, out of the blue. (Obviously I was cleared by the secretary first.)
I told the director that I haven't worked in years, and I don't even have a resume, but I have a good work ethic and a lot of enthusiasm. I asked him if maybe he has an entry-level position for me, for minimal pay. He looked thoughtful and said I should call him next week.
So two questions:
1) Do you think I went about this in the right way?
2) How should I interpret his response? Was that his way of dismissing me? Or was he serious about me calling him back?

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 8:40 pm
It's hard to say too much without having been there.

But in general, I think that someone saying, "call me next week" is a very good sign. If he weren't at all interested, he would probably just thank you for stopping by, and merely say that nothing is available at the moment, but he'll keep you in mind.

If you want to show you are serious, take a little time to learn more about the nitty gritty of the organization, and put together a resume and cover letter that explain why your life experience in the years out of the work force have given you valuable experience that will make you an asset to the organization.

In other words, do something that demonstrates how hard a worker you can be.

The advantage is that if nothing comes of this, you'll still have the resume for other places.

My advice is to email or write a thank you for his taking the time to meet with you, and saying that you will follow up next Monday. If you can include a resume, and make the thanks the opening part of a cover letter, that's even better.

By all means, do call. It might be a yes, and if not, rest assured that you did the right thing in following up.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 8:59 pm
I think it is great you put yourself out there like that, he was probably impressed. Definitely follow up in a week with a call, then an email (if no reply within a few days) as why you would be a great fit. Keep us updated!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 9:05 pm
Thank you all! I definitely will!

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 9:10 pm
I agree with imasinger.

First send a thank you letter as soon as possible that indicates why you would be helpful to the organization. Be specific in terms of your knowledge of how that specific organization functions and what you will be able to do for them.

In general, when looking for a job, you should go in knowing as much as possible about the organization and fine tune your responses to specifically what you can do for them.

Even if you have been out of work for awhile, you should bring up those skills which would make you a valuable employee. Beyond the obvious like computer, communication etc., have you volunteered in the past years and used organizational skills for those endeavors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics