Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you wanna be when you grow up?
1  2  3  4  Next

fbc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:38 pm
Or, at least, do you have a dream job, if it's not the one you're at now? Assuming schooling and tuition and anything else were non issues, what would that job be that you'd just love to have?? Totally just a fun thread, so start dreaming!!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:42 pm
My dream is to run a kosher bed and breakfast, somewhere kind of remote and beautiful, maybe on a farm.

DH isn't remotely interested. Sad

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:45 pm
My dreeeeeeam is to open a respite home for special needs children.

fbc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:54 pm
I like both of those ideas! My dreams are to become a lactation consultant, party planner, makeup artist and life coach. But I'm actually considering a couple of those ideas, just waiting till we have some mula so I can join some programs.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 3:37 pm
Vice President of the United States. All the perks, no responsibility. 😉

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 3:53 pm
A mommy Sad

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 3:53 pm
My dream is to be the best expert of something. I have gone through tens of ideas of what that something could be (original dream was doctor, but then I realized my dislike for school would be a big glitch), but whatever it is I want to be THE one. LOL I don't even want to think about what you could interpret about my psyche from that. Anyway, I'm still working on it but I spend most of my time being humbled by how much everyone else seems to know.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 4:14 pm
Run a performing arts program (summer camp immersion programs, plus year-round classes), and direct/choreograph performances.

Make movies and/or music videos -- not star in them, but just make everybody in them happy and proud and look awesome and inspiring.

Be an incredible science teacher and inspire more frum girls to LOVE science.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:03 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Run a performing arts program (summer camp immersion programs, plus year-round classes), and direct/choreograph performances.

Make movies and/or music videos -- not star in them, but just make everybody in them happy and proud and look awesome and inspiring.

Whoa, can we collab? I write bits and pieces of screenplays in my head all the time but I have never had the time or patience to write a full one. I'd also love to have a music school and give more girls the chance to develop their musical skills professionally.

That, and write several award-winning novels and have more time to paint and get my work showcased in some prestigious galleries.

Alas, my dead-end job leaves me no strength to pursue my creative dreams Sad.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:05 pm
I would love to be an architect. Instead, I'm an engineer.

fbc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:12 pm
Totally forgot about my gown designing dream!!! I have a bajillion gorgeous designs in my head but don't know how to draw them, only imagine them!!

champion

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:27 pm
An Olympics athlete
This is really an interesting thread. Fir a while I have been wondering if there is anybody else here on imamother that like me has made certain desiciond because we have been raised to live a certain lifestyle.(and I am happy with them) But would make completely different choices if were part of a different society.
I also always wanted to an actor.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:29 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I would love to be an architect. Instead, I'm an engineer.
I want to be an architect too. Instead I am teaching. I don't see how it's realistic for me to begin my schooling to be an architect when I have three kids at home with another one on the way.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:34 pm
I wanna be a therapist (not for the money hehe) and I wanna write a book.
I also love cooking and makeup so in my spare time I'll be a chef and mua.
Dreams are fun! Right now I have a stinky computer job Smile

Teomima

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:44 pm
Art teacher. It took me over thirty years to finally figure that out. Now I'm just trying to sort out how to make that a reality.

fmt4

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:52 pm
champion wrote:
An Olympics athlete
This is really an interesting thread. Fir a while I have been wondering if there is anybody else here on imamother that like me has made certain desiciond because we have been raised to live a certain lifestyle.(and I am happy with them) But would make completely different choices if were part of a different society.
I also always wanted to an actor.

This makes me sad sometimes. My son is always telling me the things he wants to be when he grows up- an astronaut or a professional baseball player etc and I get a twinge of sadness knowing that he probably won't be able to be those things.... Of course I want him to be a frum Jew and that's the most important but it's hard to explain to kids why they need to limit their dreams.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:16 pm
fmt4 wrote:
This makes me sad sometimes. My son is always telling me the things he wants to be when he grows up- an astronaut or a professional baseball player etc and I get a twinge of sadness knowing that he probably won't be able to be those things.... Of course I want him to be a frum Jew and that's the most important but it's hard to explain to kids why they need to limit their dreams.

I totally disagree. Have you never heard of "a man's reach should exceed his grasp"? Don't crush his dreams. YOU may think his dreams are impossible, but if he is sufficiently determined he may make them a reality--or technology may make them a reality. You don't know what may be right around the corner. Would you expect a frum woman to be able to make a living as a performing artist? Neither would I, but there are a few frum women who sing, dance or play musical instruments for women-only events and seem to be having the time of their lives. There are frum people in some very unusual occupations who are not compromising their frumkeit. They are without exception creative thinkers and willing to endure hardship, inconvenience, and usually some measure of isolation to do what they love. They are people who don't assume they can't do something just because nobody frum ever did it before. Someone is always the first frum person to do something, just as someone is always the first Jew, or first woman, or first physically challenged person to do something

Dreaming is what children are supposed to do. Eventually their fantasies contract in the face of reality, but your job is expand your ds horizons, not shrink them. Let him realize on his own that he won't become a professional ball player--because he's simply not a good enough player for that, or because he's not willing to put in the effort it takes to become that good. Very few people are, after all. Very few people become astronauts or professional airline pilots, either. Let him discover that he can't be an astronaut because he wears glasses or gets dizzy at higher elevations. But please don't tell him he can't be an astronaut because NASA rations aren't kosher. If he's good enough, they'll arrange for kosher rations.

Unless his dream is to become Kohen Gadol and your family are not Kohanim, in which case you should let him down gently.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:23 pm
[quote="zaq"]I totally disagree. Have you never heard of "a man's reach should exceed his grasp"? Don't crush his dreams. YOU may think his dreams are impossible, but if he is sufficiently determined he may make them a reality--or technology may make them a reality. You don't know what may be right around the corner. Would you expect a frum woman to be able to make a living as a performing artist? Neither would I, but there are a few frum women who sing, dance or play musical instruments for women-only events and seem to be having the time of their lives. There are frum people in some very unusual occupations who are not compromising their frumkeit. They are without exception creative thinkers and willing to endure hardship, inconvenience, and usually some measure of isolation to do what they love. They are people who don't assume they can't do something just because nobody frum ever did it before. Someone is always the first frum person to do something, just as someone is always the first Jew, or first woman, or first physically challenged person to do something

Dreaming is what children are supposed to do. Eventually their fantasies contract in the face of reality, but your job is expand your ds horizons, not shrink them. Let him realize on his own that he won't become a professional ball player--because he's simply not a good enough player for that, or because he's not willing to put in the effort it takes to become that good. Very few people are, after all. Very few people become astronauts or professional airline pilots, either. Let him discover that he can't be an astronaut because he wears glasses or gets dizzy at higher elevations. But please don't tell him he can't be an astronaut because NASA rations aren't kosher. If he's good enough, they'll arrange for kosher rations.

Unless his dream is to become Kohen Gadol and your family are not Kohanim, in which case you should let him down gently.[/quote]

Hmm. My son came home saying that when Moshiach comes the kehinah will be returned to the bechorim. Since no one knows for sure, I'm letting him hold on to his dreams.

(Anon because I've shared this with many people IRL.)

morah

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:30 pm
I want to be a college professor one day. I did seriously consider it in college, but when I realized what you have to go through for the inkling of a chance of of tenure, I realized it wasn't realistic for a married, frum woman.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:55 pm
A triathlete. Or competitive swimmer at international level. Sadly I don't have the skill, stamina, time or dress code.

Or a ballerina in a world class company. Same reasons apply.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics