Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you wanna be when you grow up?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:20 pm
I would love to write an amazing frum novel, one that I would actually want to read. I used to think I would be a writer, but I really don't have what it takes.

Otherwise, I think a librarian, but not in a Jewish library, I would have a very hard time recommending any Jewish books. I would also love to be a travel agent, but I know it's hard to make money as a travel agent these days.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:25 pm
I love being a mommy so much, I wouldn't give it up for anything, but...

A surgeon

A ballerina

mommyla

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:34 pm
I also dream of writing a book, but there's no way it's going to be a frum book. Too many limitations. I believe that that's why so many frum novels have such awful plots - because there are only so many topics that one can write about without getting lynched.

One day I'll do it.

I've always wanted to go to the moon, but I don't have a strong enough science background to actually become an astronaut. I'll wait until space travel is available to the common folk (and cheaper, and safer Very Happy).

momofqts

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:42 pm
Child psychologist. Interesting thread.

Optione

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:14 pm
I've really always wanted to be an astronaut; it's a childhood dream. I've also wanted to become a personal trainer. Problem with that it that first I have to get in better shape myself.

iluvy

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:38 pm
I'm a professor, I know a bunch of other frum female professors, including at least three just in my field who aren't 15 years older than you (assuming you're not a teenager Smile )

This is my dream job b"H, but I would also really love to write some novels. When I have tenure!

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:40 pm
I have no idea.

Am I the only one here who has/had no ambitions, talents or calling?
Nothing ever spoke to me and I never knew what I wanted to be. I just did what seemed practical at that point and I'm not happy with my career choice. But it seems like it would be so nice to have a dream of what I want to do/be...Alas I think I'm just too lazy to want to do anything.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:23 am
Always wanted to be a doctor. Actually seriously considered it a few years ago. I finished my Bachelors degree and started my prerequisites. I have the GPA, I love school and have great test taking skills. I also have good "diagnostic instincts".
Many people including college professors have said that I'd make a great doctor.

Unfortunately I also was gifted by G-d with a medical condition that means that I probably don't have the physical energy to make it through the rigors of medical school. It took a lot of maturity for me to accept this but I recently came to the realization that I need to give up on my dream.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:06 am
morah wrote:
I want to be a college professor one day. I did seriously consider it in college, but when I realized what you have to go through for the inkling of a chance of of tenure, I realized it wasn't realistic for a married, frum woman.

My favorite professor in college was a frum, married woman. She had a Psy.D so she was officially considered a "lecturer" and an amazing one at that. She grew up frum (Bais Yaakov type) married a frum man at 19, had her first child (she has four chidren) at 20, became a bubby at 40, and still managed to be one of the most popular professors at a secular college. I believe she is tenured now. There were other frum, married female professors teaching at the school as well. Don't let religion keep you from your dreams!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:10 am
I always wanted to be a cancer researcher but my science grades were never good enough.
I also always wanted to be an author. That one I am working on. Slowly, but working on it Smile

luppamom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 5:33 am
I would love to be a midwife.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
I want to be an architect too. Instead I am teaching. I don't see how it's realistic for me to begin my schooling to be an architect when I have three kids at home with another one on the way.

It's also a really hard profession to earn a living in, which is one of the reasons I chose engineering instead.

I love helping people with space planning. My friend let me help her with her plans to build a new house. She was like "Are you sure I'm not bothering you?" and I said "Are you sure I'm not bothering YOU?" LOL

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 7:42 am
Morah, a friend of mine (I think I'm about 5 years older than you) is a college professor. It doesn't seem crazy, but she's not yet on the tenure track.

Another (non-religious) friend of mine is a college professor and her hours are crazy. She does a ton of research though.

Shoelover

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 8:45 am
Hmmmmm I would love to be a fetal surgeon, chef, or ballerina. Thank god I'm a stay at home mom and I wouldn't switch it for anything! Maybe when I'm finished having kids and they're all grown up!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 8:55 am
I always dreamed of being a news broadcaster-anchor woman. I know I'd be great at it but realistically it probably is only a dream.

boymom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 11:33 am
such a cute thread!

I have so many dreams !

1- surgeon - but no patience for medical school. I love bio but hate studying.
2- sonographer- fascinating, I love watching my own sonograms being done. I think I might pursue this one day . I think the schooling is more doable than being a doctor.
3- have a nice big orphanage for girls that are either orphans or can't live at home. it would be right near my own house and I would give the girls the most amazing experience they can possibly have. (No Miss Grimshaw or all those wicked ladies you read about that ran orphanages, tortured the poor souls and kept the $$ for themselves. )
need lots of money to run an orphanage so I don't think it will happen.
4- kallah teacher. because I am upset at the one I used. maybe one day , when im older.
5- be the owner and CEO of a big (of course successful) business. think it would be cool to be chassidish lady running the show, conducting major meetings, business deals and just being the big boss. but will never happen to me.
6- graphic arists - might happen
7 - make up - might happen too

I think I need to live 300 years to do all that I want to do. but Im lazy and need more money to pay for all the courses and schooling.
oh! and I would only do one at a time.
right now I teach, which I am b'h good at and its fulfilling. but sometimes I wish for a change.

fbc

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 12:25 pm
I was just thinking...I read an article this morning on yeshiva world about a mikvah being discovered in EY that dates back to bayis shaini. Not necessarily my dream job, but it would b so cool to go to EY and do some digging and discovering of my own!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 12:45 pm
All the time and money wouldn't allow me to become something I always dream of - actress. Not a career a Jewish woman can pursue to its highest degree. Sometimes I wonder what I need to do with my talents that are useless in the Jewish world. I never went to acting school but I have it in my blood so I know if I do go to school, I can be really good.

So with that put aside Sad ...

I would love to be a Kiruv professional.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 6:51 pm
fbc wrote:
I was just thinking...I read an article this morning on yeshiva world about a mikvah being discovered in EY that dates back to bayis shaini. Not necessarily my dream job, but it would b so cool to go to EY and do some digging and discovering of my own!

you may not make any earth-shattering discoveries but you CAN join organized digs for a couple of days or weeks next time you visit the Holy Land. any discoveries wouldn't be named after you but you would get a taste of the life.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 7:54 pm
Zaq, what do you want to be when you grow up? Did you already fulfill your dreams? It does look like you are ready to help others with theirs!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics