Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Giyores' 'birthday' gift?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:41 pm
What would any of you suggest as a nice gift for a convert's spiritual birthday (the day she converted? ) She is a good friend who has really come a long way in her life to be where she is now. She is also the mother of young children. I want to find something meaningful but inexpensive.

Ideas?

Lani22

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:49 pm
How about a leather book of Tehilim with her name inscribed on it?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:55 pm
Perhaps one of those leather-bound booklets with a tefila in it - like one for lighting neros or taking challah.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:56 pm
one disclaimer...she doesnt read Hebrew yet fluently, so I dont want to give her something like a siddur unless it has english translation.
Good idea though!

BlumaG

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 1:34 pm
maybe a silvere peice of jewelry with her hebrew name

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 1:36 pm
I like the idea of the silver necklace with Heb. name. That's really nice.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 3:02 pm
Ok, I am a convert.

Here is my opinion: because my husband and myself were not raised in a religious jewish family, and we didn't go to jewish schools, etc., we didn't have many connections in the orthodox world, and our wedding was really small. We are married over 5 1/2 years and our household doesn't have nice basic judaica things like a pretty kiddush cup, a challah board/knife (dedicated solely for cutting challah), a challah cover, a shabbat candelabra.

Find out if her household lacks any judaic basics, and I am sure she would appreciate such a gift!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 7:55 pm
I'm also a geyores and I think the previous amother's idea is very good. My husband and I also lack some basics in judaica, especially shabbosdik things, a nice pushka, etc.

hila

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 12:55 am
We have a dear adopted giyoret, and had her visiting all through the process. She invited me to be at the mikva when she converted. It was an amazing spiritual experience.

Anyway I gave her a small pair of pretty candlesticks - which she loved, and used them teh next day for shabbat.

Other presents were books, a frying pan, and also a few basic jewish things. She already had a siddur with English.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 7:06 am
I am a giores too. I like the suggestions others have made, they all sound like nice ideas. It is really sweet of you to want to acknowledge the day.

My personal opinion is, if you want to go the Judaica route, a gift certificate is better. people have bought me things I just didn't care for yet felt obligated to keep. Let her have the enjoyment of making her own selection. even if the $ amount is small, she can get st small or add some of her own $ and be able to afford st bigger, but eithe rway it will be st she really likes.

I like books, I always think an artscroll/feldheim gift cert is nice. or you can go online and get a used book from those publishers like on amazon etc. from private sellers, prices are cheap and many are in great condition but of course then there are no royalties for author & publisher so I don't know if you'd be comfortable.

please excuse typing and grammar as I am nursing right now Confused

btw, to the other posters who still don't have basic judaica after years of marriage etc.--I know money is tight (trust me, I KNOW!!), but it's worth it trying to save a little to get something nice. both for yourself and for chinuch purposes. It adds to the kedusha of Shabbos and makes an imprint on the kids

actually I am thinking now that since she has young kids and is probably busy in the kitchen a lot, it's nice to have music to listen to, a good tape or cd altho of course the 3 weeks are coming up so maybe not, but a good tape can infuse your dishwashing w real simcha and ppl hesitate to buy them as it seems frivolous so they're nice gifts

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:32 am
Another giyores here...It's sweet that you want to recognize the day, and clear that you are well intentioned, but are you sure that she wants this reminder of the fact that she converted? Personally I don't like anybody ever even mentioning it, much less making a big deal out of it.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 7:57 am
amother wrote:
Another giyores here...It's sweet that you want to recognize the day, and clear that you are well intentioned, but are you sure that she wants this reminder of the fact that she converted? Personally I don't like anybody ever even mentioning it, much less making a big deal out of it.

OP here... I was one of the pple who helped with her conversion-learning with her,going to the mikvah, etc so I know firsthand what she's been through. It's not like just a casual friendship. It goes much deeper than that. If we weren't so close, I wouldnt be commemorating it.
also, it's only been a few years since the conversion.
She told me that her DH celebrated it with a gift, flowers and cake and all...
It IS her new birthday, as opposed to her secular bday. Why shouldnt it be a special day?

Thanks all for your responses! I ended up with a gift cert. to a Judaica store. I appreciate hearing from all of you Very Happy .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics