Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Ushpizin present

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:58 am
Anyone ever heard of this? What is it for and where does it come from? Thanks!

Stars

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:05 am
Heck , no. We do a special dessert.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:06 am
Stars wrote:
Heck , no. We do a special dessert.

But what is it?? Dessert for what?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:09 am
Who gives the present? You or the ushpiz?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
But what is it?? Dessert for what?

To honor the person who is carrying that name?

I don't know.

Mostly for oneg hachag I think

Leahh

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:07 pm
Personally I think it's not nice to those children that weren't 'chosen' to have an ushpizin name.
You can. Tell a kid "you'll have a party on your birthday but today is avrahams birthday so its his party". You can't tell shmuel it will be his ushpizin another day. It won't.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:24 pm
Leahh wrote:
Personally I think it's not nice to those children that weren't 'chosen' to have an ushpizin name.
You can. Tell a kid "you'll have a party on your birthday but today is avrahams birthday so its his party". You can't tell shmuel it will be his ushpizin another day. It won't.

So it's for people who have the same name? They throw a party? Get a gift?

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:35 pm
There are people who throw a party for family or friends, or give lechaim in shul on the day of the ushpizin whose name they share. There are other people who will make a special dessert on the day of the ushpizin of any family member who has the same name as that ushpizin.
There are also those that manage to link every name or almost every name to the ushpizin. For example, shalom could ve on the day if aharon because he was "ohev shalom v'rodef shalom"... They use gematria, meaning of names, and many other hints to give everyone a turn.
By us it is very different than birthday parties. The person with the ushpizin is not center of attention, doesn't get gifts nor is the cake placed in front of him to cut first... It is just an extra way of having simchas yom tov, with everyone having a special treat on the day that there is a family name in common with the ushpizin. I disagree with the person who said its unfair to those that dont have an ushpizin name. I never saw anyone being jealous, no one got anything special more than anyone else.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:39 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
There are people who throw a party for family or friends, or give lechaim in shul on the day of the ushpizin whose name they share. There are other people who will make a special dessert on the day of the ushpizin of any family member who has the same name as that ushpizin.
There are also those that manage to link every name or almost every name to the ushpizin. For example, shalom could ve on the day if aharon because he was "ohev shalom v'rodef shalom"... They use gematria, meaning of names, and many other hints to give everyone a turn.
By us it is very different than birthday parties. The person with the ushpizin is not center of attention, doesn't get gifts nor is the cake placed in front of him to cut first... It is just an extra way of having simchas yom tov, with everyone having a special treat on the day that there is a family name in common with the ushpizin. I disagree with the person who said its unfair to those that dont have an ushpizin name. I never saw anyone being jealous, no one got anything special more than anyone else.

Thank you! I had never heard of this before and could not get a clear answer from anyone else!

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:44 pm
Chassidish rebbe's who have the name of an ushpizin will make a big special Tish the night of their ushpizin.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:56 pm
Wait this is real?
I thought my husband was kidding when he told me about this.

My parents have a l'chaim for any night a family member has an ushpizin name but that is about it.
I did see a lot of cakes and fancy cookies for ushpizin - but in my opinion its just another money maker Smile

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 2:16 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Wait this is real?
I thought my husband was kidding when he told me about this.

My parents have a l'chaim for any night a family member has an ushpizin name but that is about it.
I did see a lot of cakes and fancy cookies for ushpizin - but in my opinion its just another money maker Smile

Never heard of a present for ushpizin, but a nice dessert (mostly homemade so no money maker there) or lechaim is very common in my circles.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 10:14 am
I only ever heard of this among online American chassidim.
We do nothing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics