Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Budget for rapidly growing child's clothes/shoes for a year

Racheli

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:42 pm
I'm trying to figure out what is a "normal" amount of money to spend on clothes and shoes for a growing teenager for a year. Just a regular year, not a year with any bar or bat mitzvah clothes. School clothes, summer clothes, Shabbat clothes, althletic clothes, Shabbat shoes, sneakers, winter jacket. What is normal, given that teenagers pretty much need new everything every year or so. When I try to add it up, it comes to way more than $1000. Does that sound right??

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:50 pm
Yes it does.

lfab

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:57 pm
I think it depends a lot on what type of stores you shop in. Are you going to mostly go to frum stores in the middle of flatbush where every shirt will cost $50? Are you going to be shopping at higher end department stores (think Nordstrom) or more reasonably priced stores (like Macy's etc). Will you shop around for sales, use coupons, and generally shop at discount type stores (marshall's, tjmaxx, or even old navy, etc.). Also, is this for a boy or a girl? I think girls need more of a variety so it will be more money. How much of each item are you willing to buy, just the bare minimum or several "extra"? 10-12 weekday outfits will obviously cost more than buying 3 skirts and 5 tops. So many factors it's hard to say what's "normal".

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:04 pm
What is "normal" is what you can comfortably spend. People will say you are overspending (my child has 3 outfits and that's it! Why waste money, teach priorities and budgeting, Why need more!) or underspending (this is self esteem). What message do you want to send? What are you comfortable with money wise, hashkafa wise, socially?? (If you have 12 pairs of shoes you can't ask your daughter to have 2 total).

If this is a teenager, there is probably a uniform so take that into account when buying weekday clothes. How many shoes does she need? 1 school, 1 sneaker, 1 shabbos. Get things that are "mix and match" as well as multipurpose- skirts that depending on the top can be shabbos or weekday. Shop sales and discount places- not brand names. Your money will stretch further.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:44 pm
I started guesstimating how much items cost:

4 shabbos shirts (for yomim tovim or 9 days when cannot do laundry) - $20 each = $80 * 2 = 160
3 pairs shabbos pants - $20 - 30 (with alterations) = 90 * 2 = 180
6 weekday shirts (polo or colored button down, TCP) - $8 each = 48 * 2 seasons = 96
6 weekday pants = $10 each = 60 * 2 = 120
1 sweathshirt = $20
1 Winter Jacket $50
2 pairs sneakers = 100
1 pair shabbos shoes = 60
1 pair boots = 35
2 pullover sweaters = $15 each = 30
1 bathings suit = $15
underwear and undershirts and socks = $40
4 PJs = $50

When I first saw the number $1000 it sounded high, but with just figuring out basics at cheap to reasonable prices it is close that. And that is without figuring in ties, blazers, suits, and other items.
I don't always buy every item new each season (like weekday pants can work for both, but they get worn out and torn) and a lot we wear from year to year or do hand me downs - like boots and winter coats. But it doesn't always work - my 2 oldest boys are the same sizes so there are not hand me downs right now.

Racheli

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:52 pm
I'm glad to see that most of you are coming up with approximately the same numbers. I was looking at Old Navy for a lot of the prices.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 2:02 pm
sky wrote:

4 shabbos shirts (for yomim tovim or 9 days when cannot do laundry) - $20 each = $80 * 2 = 160
6 weekday shirts (polo or colored button down, TCP) - $8 each = 48 * 2 seasons = 96
1 sweathshirt = $20
1 Winter Jacket $50
2 pairs sneakers = 100
1 pair boots = 35
1 bathings suit = $15
4 PJs = $50

When I first saw the number $1000 it sounded high, but with just figuring out basics at cheap to reasonable prices it is close that. And that is without figuring in ties, blazers, suits, and other items.
I don't always buy every item new each season (like weekday pants can work for both, but they get worn out and torn) and a lot we wear from year to year or do hand me downs - like boots and winter coats. But it doesn't always work - my 2 oldest boys are the same sizes so there are not hand me downs right now.

These prices are at the very very low end for a teen. Teens care much more about what they wear than younger ones where you can away with just about anything.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 2:17 pm
Correct. This is for elementary age boys.
I would think high school boys wouldn't be much more.
You would need school shoes, more button down shirts, minyan jacket.

I would imagine high school girls would be much more.

chanab

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:05 pm
Those amounts for a teen are very on the low end. A teen is usually adult sizes. weekday pants $10? I wish.....
and when they are in a yeshiva dorm and can do limited laundry oy vey

sky

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:51 pm
Your right, but do teenage boys get their pants dirty after a single wearing? I would hope not.
My DH 's pants are more like $20 - but he doesn't own 6 pairs.

I'm a big talker though, I don't have any teenagers yet, we will have to revisit it then.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:21 pm
sky wrote:

1 sweathshirt = $20
1 Winter Jacket $50
2 pairs sneakers = 100
1 pair boots = 35
1 bathings suit = $15
4 PJs = $50

How do you manage with only one bathing suit? What do they use when the bathing suit is in the wash?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:22 pm
sky wrote:
Your right, but do teenage boys get their pants dirty after a single wearing? I would hope not.
My DH 's pants are more like $20 - but he doesn't own 6 pairs.

I'm a big talker though, I don't have any teenagers yet, we will have to revisit it then.

And where do you buy your husband pants for $20?

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:30 pm
$20 is a bit optimistic, but lands end chino pants are nice --they might list for something in the $55 range, but if you are willing to wait for sales/coupons, $30 is a realistic goal.
They hem to the 1/4 inch for free

sky

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:49 am
$20 is on the low end. I shop sales. Kohls sometimes goes down very low, and macys.

today on Kohls: 22.49: http://www.kohls.com/product/p.....Black
with 25% off coupon DECSAVE
there are a few styles at this price.

Macys has the same prices with a coupon:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....R=BAG

(maybe its because my husband will wear Docker pants during the week?)

Last edited by sky on Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total

sky

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:53 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
How do you manage with only one bathing suit? What do they use when the bathing suit is in the wash?

The one from the year before always seems to work if the newest one doesn't. We've definitely done that.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:09 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
$20 is a bit optimistic, but lands end chino pants are nice --they might list for something in the $55 range, but if you are willing to wait for sales/coupons, $30 is a realistic goal.
They hem to the 1/4 inch for free

Chinos I can understand, I just bought my husband four pairs for $21 each at old navy on Black Friday. I thought she was talking about dress pants, which usually coats me around $100 a pair.

salt

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:23 am
Unless your teenager is really super fast growing, I don't find I need to re-fill ENTIRE wardrobe every single year.
If bought on the large side these things usually last at least 2 years, if not 3:

coat
pyjamas
loose fitting sweaters/sweatshirts/jackets
elasticated waist skirts

Racheli

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:01 pm
So what do you all think is a more appropriate number? My teenage boys (at this stage) do grow out of almost all clothes in a year (they grow about 3 inches a year right now). What about for teenage girls?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:02 pm
sky wrote:
The one from the year before always seems to work if the newest one doesn't. We've definitely done that.

I also use bathing suits two years in a row. I thought you were managing with just one bathing suit.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:17 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
Chinos I can understand, I just bought my husband four pairs for $21 each at old navy on Black Friday. I thought she was talking about dress pants, which usually coats me around $100 a pair.

Dress pants for $100 a pair????
My husband just bought 6 pairs of really nice Perry Ellis slim fit dress pants for under 20$ a pair. Theres stackable codes and was 10% ebates. It was 6 pairs for under 100! He always shops like that... and he looks very good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics