Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sensory issues - tights
1  2  Next

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 12:20 pm
My 6 yo dd hates wearing tights because the seam by the toe bothers her. She prefers socks, because the seam on socks is above the toes instead of at the tips or under. The issue is not the knee vs. full leg covering. Anyone have any ideas how I can help her? Or does she just have to get used to it? (When she starts Kita Alef in Sept. iy"H, she will have to wear tights all the time.)

madys

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 12:24 pm
my 8 yr old daughter is the same way!! She hates it when the seam is at the tips of her toes.

I buy her the tights that are knitted (kind of like socks that go all the way up)

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 12:34 pm
I honestly have a similar issue myself. the best way to deal with it is to just keep experimenting with different types/brands until she finds one that is comfortable or without seams in the places that bother her.
or, can she wear leggings with socks on top?

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 1:00 pm
I have this problem with my DD who's 3. I started a post http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ights on that. I ended up spending a lot of $$ in BP on quality cotton ones for the summer, that have a seamless toe. Heavier cotton blends for winter, they have them much cheaper from US companies ($3, $4 on sale).

mom23

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 1:54 pm
Sorry - I wish I had great advice, but in my experience with sensory issues with my daughter - there were no quick fixes to get her used to things that she couldn't stand. When a child with SID says something bothers them it REALLY bothers them. (Kinda like someone scratching a chalkboard bothers me.) With the appropriate interventions they can become desensitised to some of their hyper (or hypo) feelings.

If she truly does not like the feeling of tights, but has to wear them, you may have to try experimenting with sizes, fabrics and brands and let your daughter tell you what feels good. As a last resort you may have to ask the school for special permission to wear socks until you are able to get her to wear tights comfortably.

I have been down a long, rough road dealing with SID and I would be happy to tell you about some of the interventions that worked for me. PM me if you'd like.[/quote]

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 2:07 pm
thanks for all the responses! poelmamash, I checked out your link - s/o suggested wearing tights inside out - I think I'll try that first. I have to check that it doesn't look too weird with her open-toe sandals, but I can't see why it should be a problem in the winter!

dd doesn't have SID - I would just call her on the more sensitive end of the normal spectrum. Also the more complaining end. So s/t if I am adamant, she gets over things. So it's often a tough call if I should be more understanding/helpful/adamant about a particular issue (depending how important the issue is and how practical it is to help her). In all areas - not just sensory ones.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 2:35 pm
Ima'la wrote:
I would just call her on the more sensitive end of the normal spectrum. Also the more complaining end. So s/t if I am adamant, she gets over things. So it's often a tough call if I should be more understanding/helpful/adamant about a particular issue (depending how important the issue is and how practical it is to help her). In all areas - not just sensory ones.

Same here. My daughter doesn't show any other SID behaviors except this one, go figure... I do put my foot down in a certain areas, but I figured something as sensitive as tznius should NOT become a battle.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 2:59 pm
my middle dd had the same issue the seam drove her mad ... but they have lots of tights without that seam ... and although they are more expensive they are also better quality ...

ChavieK

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:05 pm
At least mine is a boy with this same sock issue. He wore Hanes socks for a long time until they decided to write Hanes on the bottom, now he can't wear them anymore.As for dress sock, only solid black. I like the patterns but he can feel the little threads.

TammyTammy

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:08 pm
ChavieK wrote:
At least mine is a boy with this same sock issue. He wore Hanes socks for a long time until they decided to write Hanes on the bottom, now he can't wear them anymore.

Why? Does he take off his shoes at school? (And even if he does, why is there a rule [I'm assuming there is based on your post] against wearing socks if the company's name is on them?)

Tammy

ChavieK

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:49 pm
No, sorry I didn't explain.He can feel the words on the bottom of his feet.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 4:10 am
On Shabbos I let her wear her Shabbos tights inside out and b"H, no complaints! Let's hope it continues! Thanks for the idea!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 7:56 pm
I was wondering if you have an update?

What works for my son is special seamless socks made for diabetics, they have no seam! But for the girls, when she allows me to, I use a special roll-on glue safe for skin designed to keep patches on the foot, etc. just a bit of glue and the tights doesn’t move around too much. Cotton tights annoys her just as much as nylon.

Link: http://www.shopwiki.com/_It-St.....ottle

poelmamosh

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 9:44 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
I was wondering if you have an update?

What works for my son is special seamless socks made for diabetics, they have no seam! But for the girls, when she allows me to, I use a special roll-on glue safe for skin designed to keep patches on the foot, etc. just a bit of glue and the tights doesn’t move around too much. Cotton tights annoys her just as much as nylon.

Link: http://www.shopwiki.com/_It-St.....ottle

Lol, I remember this thread...BH, my older DD has completely grown out of it. But her little sister, with a tendency towards ingrown toenails is going through this now. Tic-tac-toe makes seamless tights, you know.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 10:00 pm
Sadly, my DD has issues with the seam in the crotch area as well...

RedRuby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 10:53 pm
What about leggings, with socks on top? (for winter weather)

The seams are less uncomfortable bec. they don't fit so tightly.

Gymboree has really comfy and cute ones. (Get them on sale.)

That's what worked for my daughter.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 10:57 pm
Yeah... the school would never allow that...

micki

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 11:23 pm
maybe something in this thread can help-
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....nsory

to floow up- we went thru the whole thing and while it helped a bit,a few techniqies were given, it has not resolved the issues completey.
but if they do bother her she knows twaht to do.

Marion

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 1:25 am
I'm sorry Shaklee...did you just say the SCHOOL would not allow it? Are they actually checking how high up the leg the kids' socks go????? Here I've seen thigh-highs...which would solve the crotch seam problem.

sped

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 2:42 am
Thigh - his, IME, are even worse than tights. I suffered through htis whole thing too. I found tha the band of the thigh-his was just so uncomfortable, almost painful. I find that twhen they fit perfectly - not too small, not too big, the tights are easier to wear.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children