Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you dislike most about your child's education?

Holy Sparks

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 2:38 pm
I'm working on a grant to improve Jewish education and need your help, please. Is there anything in traditional Torah studies classroom learning that isn't working for your child? What or Why? Please don't name any specific schools or teachers. I'm looking for methods and practices that are not working for your child. TIA.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 3:58 pm
That I have to teach Ashkenazi prononciation and reading myself

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 4:16 pm
parsha! my kindergarten daughter doesn't like just sitting and listening to the parsha. Right now she is also learning halacha- the lamed tet melachos but she's doing it in a hands on way so she likes it, but parsha even with projects involves too much sitting and listening for her liking. Too the point that if I notice that she's being very pleasant and ask her about it she'll say- I didn't have parsha today shock It's a stress for her and her emotional ability to handle stuff goes down afterwards. Granted she has sensory issues and is getting OT but I'm sure she's not the only one.

animeme

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 4:54 pm
Better education for gifted kids. There's often resource room or pull puts, often supplied by the board of ed, but kids who need accelerated education get stuck. They get bored and frustrated.

This is doable through single teacher differentiation, but teachers often need to be trained how to do it. Don't just give extra work! Or there can be pull outs.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 5:11 pm
I completely agree with animeme- my daughter was bored last year because she already knew most of her letters in hebrew and english. It was hard not to feel like last year was a waste of a year Sad we switched schools after that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics