Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can I afford to visit my grandfather?

Machel

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 6:44 pm
My grandfather live in the Bahamas and he is 92 and not doing so well. As a child we would visit him once or twice a year and speak often so even though I don't see him regularly I feel like we are pretty close.

In the past few years I have only been able to get there once a year, the last time being this time last year. Every time it feels like it could be the last time.

I want to go visit this year, but realistically it would be stretching our financials really thin. I went on a big trip this past summer and we have simchas we need to travel to next summer, plus we are saving for a house and a family and I just started a new job so it would mean taking off work unpaid.

On the other hand though, its my grandfather and if I have the opportunity to see him shouldn't I take it. I worry that I will regret it if gd forbid something happens.

He is mostly deaf and has 0 knowledge of technology so phone and skype aren't real options anymore. Any words of advice?

ROFL

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:13 pm
Can you afford not to see him ? Get yourself cheap tickets and go.

Machel

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:16 pm
It would cost about 1000/person to go (maybe 800), with flight and hotel and everything

boysrus

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:17 pm
can you afford not to....

I have been there done that, if I were you I would make it work. You might regret it otherwise if you dont get another opportunity...

MamaBear

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:20 pm
Go by yourself

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:38 pm
How would you feel if you never saw him again because you didn't take to trip?

I can't put myself into other oerson's shoes but for me, spending money to see a grandfather is a higher priority than spending money for a simcha

grace413

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:26 pm
Go. This is a good use of your money, even if you have to tighten your belt. You don't have to take the whole family.

You won't regret the trip.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:44 pm
You can't afford it.

But please go anyway.

Because one day you may have more money than you know what to do with...but no longer have the chance to visit him.

dilego

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 1:39 am
Go by yourself you might regret it its a really goood investement

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 4:47 am
I was in a similar situation. One grandfather I didn't go in the end and he passed away while I was still debating in my head whether I could make the trip. Then my other grandfather got sick a few months later and I wasn't going to make that mistake again. I scraped together the money and went by myself, left Dh with the kids 3 days. My grandfather passed away 6 weeks later and I'm so glad that I got to see him.

SRS

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 7:02 am
Sounds like a matter of delaying other goals, not going into debt that will sink you. I'd just start looking for the least inexpensive ticket.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 7:11 am
Besides for the visit - do you send letters - is his eyesight also poor?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics