Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Maaser for shul membership

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 10:58 pm
I have a friend who is single, lives in Brooklyn, goes to Touro part-time and works 40 hours a week to support herself. She technically has some money accumulated for maaser, but she is currently taking out loans to pay her college tuition and is barely making it enough to go out for an occasional slice of pizza. Her parents do not live in NY and she is financially independent. I know that some posts mentioned that people pay for tuition out of maaser, but could she do the same with shul membership?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:28 am
I do. DH asked and at least our shul it goes towards something "tzeddakah"- paying for the shul to keep their lights on definitely counts. We were even told sponsoring kiddush since they will have one anyway is "countable". My shul also has it's own tzeddaka fund this $$may go to but most Shuls do. Ask her LOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics