Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bachelors of Talmudic Law

Sarale Licht1

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 2:58 pm
I was told by my son's Rosh Yeshiva that if he learns in the yeshiva for 4 years, he can get this BTL-Bachelors of Talmudic Law. He said there are graduate programs that will accept this. Does anybody know about what type of Masters programs will accept this, excluding law school. (We don't think law school is a good idea.)

mirror

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 3:15 pm
Once he gets his bachelor's degree he can no longer get financial aid if he wants to get a few credits in another major such as psychology. Tell your son to hold off getting his degree even if he has enough credits so he can look around into different Master's degree programs and see if there are any prerequisites he needs to take undergrad.

This way he can still qualify for financial aid for the prerequisites. I think he can get an MBA with just a bachelor's in talmudic law but it's a worthless degree unless he has a job waiting for him.

samantha87

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 3:20 pm
I don't know, beyond law school and some sketchy education programs. But noisy graduate schools have prerequisite requirements which yeshiva doesn't fulfill. Also, to ease his way into grad school he would be well served taking some basic college classes like composition and statistics, so as not to sound like an "am ha'aretz."

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 3:42 pm
I know someone who did this and became an actuary. Once he decided that's what he wanted to be, He went to a local college and took all of the math courses one needs and then started taking exams.

My DH has an extremely obscure bachelors (Hebrew Lang and lit) but he liked healthcare so took all the prerequisites for med school.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 1:04 pm
My husband was planning on getting a BTL but found out that it's become not so accepted anymore.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 7:56 pm
It's fine as long as he gets his prerequisites from a decent school with a good GPA for those courses. He will likely need basics like english, math etc.... (basically first year college stuff) in addition to specific requirements for the masters degree he wants to go for. Again, he should ideally work to get A's in those courses to prove he will be a good student.

I have a family member who got excellent MCAT scores and is now attending a prestigious medical school. His Bachelors was in talmudic law but he took his medical school prerequisites at NYU. He got excellent grades. His BTL actually made him "stand out from the crowd" he wasn't just some kid who had followed the traditional school route but an interesting candidate. I'm sure that without the excellent GPA and MCAT scores that wouldn't have been enough but the combination of factors got him in.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:38 pm
this is the kind of thing that is probably recommended to many but is actually a good idea for very few. I'm with samantha87 on this. Plus the financial aid aspect as mirror touched on.

Consider also that if he does end up choosing a career track that this route was counterproductive for, he may end up with a big chip on his shoulder against the yeshiva rebbeim who pushed him that way. I have seen more than one person get pretty messed up by this kind of thing - falling hard when they realize at 25 or so that their "yeshiva degree" concept actually led hem away from the possibility of a fulfilling career.

Could work for some, all I'm saying is tread with caution and plan for the longer term future.

Lady Bug

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:44 pm
The best idea is probably to contact the masters programs he is interested in and find out if they will accept the BTL. Then you go into this knowing where it will take you.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 9:45 pm
My husband has a BTL and went to PCS's Masters Program to become an accountant. It's a private frum program with a reputable degree from Fairleigh Dickinson.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics