Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kids kicked off school bus in NYC what do you...
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:14 pm
Does anyone know about a form 1054 ??? that a bus driver can fill out to kick a kid off the NYC school bus???
The principal told me that the bus driver was mad about my daughter's bad behavior on the school bus so he wants to fill out a 1054 form which can prevent my daughter from taking the NYC school bus.
Does anyone know about this? I am trying to figure out why the school would not defend my daughter (as she does behave but a lot of girls are bad and the driver is picking on my daughter!!)??
I am trying to figure out if I can appeal this especially since my daughter has an IESP which is a private school IEP and the discipline rules are more lenient for those students.

Anyone with any idea of whom I could contact to help prevent this and to maybe even put a complaint about this bus driver??? well, I dont know if school will give me the bus driver's info.??

Thank you.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:52 pm
I don't know about 1054s but that sounds like a tough situation!

Did you speak with your daughter? No matter how many others misbehaved, she still cannot misbehave. Can she write an apology note to the bus driver and maybe get an extended probation until she proves she can behave?

And if there is a widespread behavior problem on the bus, there must be a bus moniter aboard who should put a stop to it. Kicking one girl off does not sound like it will resolve the whole issue unless she is the instigator.

Good luck!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:55 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I don't know about 1054s but that sounds like a tough situation!

Did you speak with your daughter? No matter how many others misbehaved, she still cannot misbehave. Can she write an apology note to the bus driver and maybe get an extended probation until she proves she can behave?

And if there is a widespread behavior problem on the bus, there must be a bus moniter aboard who should put a stop to it. Kicking one girl off does not sound like it will resolve the whole issue unless she is the instigator.

Good luck!

Bus monitors are illegal with kids older than a certain age.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:58 pm
there is no money for bus monitors--there are bus monitors for a lot of public school buses but yeshivas have no money for them!!! --in the summer the camp had a bus monitor and it was great!!

My daughter said that she did not do anything wrong---I don't allow her to misbehave on the bus--but she is young and if other kids are misbehaving , sometimes kids follow thinking it is free for all" for everyone---

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:05 pm
Is the bus part of contract bus service funded by the city? If so, then to my knowledge service should be governed by the chancellor's regulations. I have never heard of this form 1054, but even if a form existed to remove a student from bus service, according to the regulations there is a disciplinary ladder that precedes removal. And from the information you're presenting, it doesn't appear that this progressive intervention has been adhered to. Furthermore, according the the regs, a student cannot be removed from bus service for more than 5 days.

Here is the link to the specific chancellor's reg referred to school transportation, and the part referring to procedures regarding misbehavior is on page 22.

http://docs.nycenet.edu/docush.....1.pdf

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:10 pm
School buses are horrible. My children have come home with scratches and black and blue marks a couple of times. You have 2,3 wild kids on a bus and they instigate fights and make everybody wild when ever they're in the mood.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:44 pm
Your school should be dealing with bus issues and should not be leaving it up to the bus driver.

I have encouraged my DS's school to investigate when they called me to tell me he is a bully on the bus. I told then to ask kids on the bus that werent involved in any fighting. Based on their research the kid complaining was the bully, my ds tried to stop it and the bully wasnt happy. I was also told that some buses have video cameras that the school can review.

Had my ds been named as a bully I was willing to take him off the bus for a bit. I also have to constantly remind my kids how to behave on the bus regardless of other kids. My DS yeshiva has a staff member that deals with all bus issues and the kids are encouraged to talk to him about it. Its not perfect, but atleast they are trying.

Kugglegirl

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:40 am
If your daughter would qualify for an IEP, try to see if you can get a 504 written up for her. A 504 covers access and accommodations and 504 enforcement is covered under ADA legislation, which applies to all public access settings, not just public school like IEP's which are under IDEA.

I am not the world's expert on 504's, so please consult Dr. Google & your local school district.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 1:02 am
It depends on what really happened if you can fight it. Was there any other adult on the bus that you can ask for the story? I would guess that the bus driver is very desperate and there was really bad behavior going on for him to try and ban her.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 10:35 am
1) try to talk to the bus driver
2) pm me, I have a contact for you at the OPT that you can call to see if he can help you (frum guy)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 6:06 pm
this is THE OP--thanks to all of you who wrote back--I will look into a 504 being written --also to the one who wrote about a ladder....I also assumed that but it seems that unfortunately the school is BACKING THE DRIVER ON THIS AND NOT ME!! I am trying to figure out my rights without asking the school--I don't know why the school is on the driver's side!! and to those of you who wrote about looking into the incident--this is not about the incident --this is not about what happened --this is about picking my child out from all the wild bus kids!!

how do I pm you ??I would like the number to contact the guy at the OPT--

regarding talking to the bus driver--this is out of the question--he is the one who picked on my child and started this to begin with!!
thank you all!!

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 6:19 pm
AFAIK a bus driver has the right to suspend a child from the bus.
When we signed up for bus service, it was made clear to each parent that if the child misbehaves, they can be kicked off the bus.

das

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 8:47 pm
Even if all the kids were wild, he has a right to pick one wild kid and discipline her. Your best bet is to grovel at his feet and beg for forgiveness, along with a nice gift. Then make sure your dd behaves.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:07 pm
Clearly your daughter behaved badly- probably along with other children but she is taking the fall.
You have two choices.
Make this a teachable moment and drive your daughter to and from school letting her know how inconvenient this is to the entire family.

Pick her up l(a little) ater than the other children so she is forced to sit alone in the office while she waits for you.

Let her feel the consequences of her behavior.

It will be pretty dark by the time you come get her.

Make an appointment to meet with the driver and plead for a suspension instead of expulsion.
Let him KNOW you are working with him and your child is learning a lesson.
After a week let her speak with the bus driver (and you) and let her explain that she has learned a hard lesson and can she please get back on the bus.

Make sure she sits directly behind the driver for the remainder of the school year.

I am so sick of parents not letting kids learn from their mistakes.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:21 pm
There seems to be more going on than you either know or are telling.

is it possible that your daughter was the ringleader and egged others on?

What was the behavior that caused the bus driver to take such drastic measures and have the school support that action. I would think the bus driver would tolerate a high level of mischief and would have no particular vendetta against your daughter.

If you come at this with an attitude of your daughter being the victim, you are not helping your daughter grow and it is also possible that you won't achieve your other goal of having her reinstated on the bus.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:35 pm
cnc, I am not sure where you live--but I know that in NYC the DOE pays for my children to take the bus and if a driver will kick a child off, there must be documentation..... such that I would know more about what happened--you are wrong-I dont know all the laws but I do know the DOE is stricter now such that it is harder to kick a child off!! so cnc, which regulation are you quoting that a driver can kick a child off just ...

amarante and aquamarine, you are both judging and assuming that I am a bad mom and that my child behaved badly--I never wrote that my child behaved badly, so why are you assuming that?? Also, one of you said to pick the child up late--I would not be able to pick up late because that is not fair to the administrators.... who expect parents to be ON TIME!!

das, while you are correct--at the same time, it is DISCRIMINATION if only one child is kicked off when most of the children are misbehaving. My child was not misbehaving---but it is normal among children that when some RINGLEADERS BADLY BEHAVED CHILDREN MISBEHAVE, many other children join in and misbehave especially when there is no adult/no teacher...to control everyone!! However, the school and bus driver must punish everyone the same and can't discriminate!!

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
cnc, I am not sure where you live--but I know that in NYC the DOE pays for my children to take the bus and if a driver will kick a child off, there must be documentation..... such that I would know more about what happened--you are wrong-I dont know all the laws but I do know the DOE is stricter now such that it is harder to kick a child off!! so cnc, which regulation are you quoting that a driver can kick a child off just ...

amarante and aquamarine, you are both judging and assuming that I am a bad mom and that my child behaved badly--I never wrote that my child behaved badly, so why are you assuming that?? Also, one of you said to pick the child up late--I would not be able to pick up late because that is not fair to the administrators.... who expect parents to be ON TIME!!

das, while you are correct--at the same time, it is DISCRIMINATION if only one child is kicked off when most of the children are misbehaving. My child was not misbehaving---but it is normal among children that when some RINGLEADERS BADLY BEHAVED CHILDREN MISBEHAVE, many other children join in and misbehave especially when there is no adult/no teacher...to control everyone!! However, the school and bus driver must punish everyone the same and can't discriminate!!

I am referring to varsity bus in NY, which is paid for by the DOE (or more likely-the Department of Pupil Transportation). I am not quoting any specific regulation. On the school bus info packet there is a very clear letter stating that the first time a child misbehaves, they will get a warning and the second incident gets them suspended from the bus.

I honestly think that your best bet is to stop being so defensive, have a talk with your child and make her apologize to the bus driver.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:58 pm
BTW, Nicole81 these regulations are dated 2000 (16 years ago).
Have they been updated since, because this was the first year that I received the letter stating that children can be suspended from the bus.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 10:48 pm
cnc wrote:
BTW, Nicole81 these regulations are dated 2000 (16 years ago).
Have they been updated since, because this was the first year that I received the letter stating that children can be suspended from the bus.

The regulation I linked is the most recent version. Other regulations have been updated more recently, but regarding pupil transportation, these still stand as is and constitute law.

As quoted in the regulation a bus driver can exclude a student from the bus for 5 days, and this is only after other measures have been taken. One exception for public schools in the citywide discipline and intervention code is if the behavior constituted a substantial risk or injury, for example, throwing something at the bus driver or hurting another child, the the child can be excluded without the progressive measure being taken. But again, this exclusion is governed by the chancellor's reg and cannot last more than 5 days.

Of course it's in the OP's best interest to work with the school and try to have a conference with them and the driver and to give the child a consequence for their behavior. But if she's asking what the law is and what the bus driver can or cannot do, that's the info I gave her.

I also wanted to add that regarding an IEP, a student can be suspended within the public school no matter what their background. And if a student has an IEP and is suspended for more than 10 aggregate days in a 40 day period, only at that point do we conduct a review (MDR) to determine if the behavior causing their suspension is a manifestation of their disability. I can tell you that in all my years working as a dean and administrator within the DOE, I have never once come across a case where the suspension was denied as a result of the MDR. So I don't think having an IESP would help protect your child from a suspension from bus service. If you want absolute answers though, I doubt anyone on here can give them to you. Call OPT and find out what your rights are.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:45 am
You dont know how to PM? Do nyou see the word PM underneath my name?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics