Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kids kicked off school bus in NYC what do you...
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 2:06 pm
You have to call up the department of pupil transportation and be ready to give your child's osis #. There is a process like nicole says. You call them up and ask them what you can do. google the number.

Yael

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 2:24 pm
I received an email asking me to post the following post on behalf of someone who is following the thread but is not eligible to join Imamother.
------------------------
The mother in this post needs a special needs advocate NOW
Please alert her that a child with an IEP cannot be kicked off of a school bus if it is the child's only means of transportation to school. Kicking a child with an IEP off of the bus prevents them from accessing their right to FAPE (Free and Appropriate Public Education) as guaranteed by PL 94-142. Please encourage this mother to call the Principal and ask for an emergency IEP meeting. During the meeting, she needs to ask for special transportation due to the fact that the regular education busing process is no longer meeting her child's needs and is, in fact, preventing her child from accessing the general curriculum. Encourage her to make the school add a BIP (Behavior Improvement Plan) for the child focusing on transitioning to and from school including busing which will further protect the child.

Without knowing which district exactly, I can only tell you the federal education protections that this child deserves. I'm sure there are state and local guidelines in place as well. The person that went on and on about 504 plans...has no clue. You cannot have a 504 plan and an IEP.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics