Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What are NY people doing about weddings tonight?

Mevater

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:01 am
I don't see cars moving. How are NY people getting anywhere?

Last edited by Mevater on Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:09 am
I assume by "people" you mean "people who live on or who have to travel to/from the East Coast of the US."

Perhaps weddings are being rescheduled?

gittelchana

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:31 am
DrMom wrote:
I assume by "people" you mean "people who live on or who have to travel to/from the East Coast of the US."

Perhaps weddings are being rescheduled?

Not all people live on the east coast of the US??? shock shock shock Scratching Head What Dont know

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:27 pm
Probably better to schedule weddings not in winter in NY...

pause

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:30 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Probably better to schedule weddings not in winter in NY...
So black out January through March???

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:37 pm
If it's to get very stressed and hysteric, yes. But again I don't get NY weather OR NY weather culture.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:39 pm
Weddings are probably proceeding as usual.
Turnout will be small, with close friends and family.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:47 pm
pause wrote:
So black out January through March???

Yes, plus sefirah, the three weeks, the Yamim Nora'im and days in between, and all chagim and fast days generally. Also, please be considerate of people who don't want to stay home the entire Memorial Weekend, July 4th Weekend or Labor Day Weekend to attend your wedding. Also, don't do it in the birthday month of either the bride or groom because then they'll get stiffed on birthday/anniversary presents. Kthanks.

Mevater

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 1:01 pm
All jokes aside, this is an only twice in recorded history amount of snow.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 3:12 pm
In NY, public transportation if streets are not cleared.

In NJ, streets are clear and traffic is moving.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:52 pm
My dh went to work today in manhttan using the subways! ( I know ur asking abt weddings) and yes we got married in mid December in ny quite few years ago and Bh was no snow but I remember it being freezing as New York winters tend to b!

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:21 pm
My first wedding was the day after a blizzard. Not as big as this one, but still pretty terrible. Relatives from Westchester and Rockland Counties never did make it to Brooklyn that evening, but for the most part our closest friends and relatives were there. And we definitely appreciated the leftover food from the no-shows that we gorged on at our hotel after starving all night!

treestump

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:32 am
Life just went on almost as usual for lots of people in NY.

DH went to work, most if not all schools are being open tomorrow, the stores were open today, and most people were considerate enough to shovel so you can walk smoothly wherever you want to go.

(It's actually my first winter in NY for a long time and I'm amazed at the calm, second-nature way with which all my neighbors dealt with all the snow!)

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:36 am
treestump wrote:
Life just went on almost as usual for lots of people in NY.

DH went to work, most if not all schools are being open tomorrow, the stores were open today, and most people were considerate enough to shovel so you can walk smoothly wherever you want to go.

(It's actually my first winter in NY for a long time and I'm amazed at the calm, second-nature way with which all my neighbors dealt with all the snow!)

As opposed to Lakewood, where the entire town (and it seems the entire state of NJ as well) becomes paralyzed for days after each snowstorm.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:59 am
those who are close will find their way & by close I mean the distance of their body vs heart

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 1:17 am
Ruchel wrote:
If it's to get very stressed and hysteric, yes. But again I don't get NY weather OR NY weather culture.
Ruchel, usually the weather is not THIS bad. Yes, it snows in the winter in america in many places, but the blizzards are not usually this crippling.

(and what does NY weather culture mean?)

pause

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:25 pm
groisamomma wrote:
As opposed to Lakewood, where the entire town (and it seems the entire state of NJ as well) becomes paralyzed for days after each snowstorm.

I really don't get it. For heaven's sakes, NJ is not South Carolina! Why can't they get themselves together???

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 1:46 pm
One of my kids said to me yesterday, that she feels bad for people who have to get to a wedding. My other DD said, if we had close family getting married with a blizzard on the horizon, we'd go to the locality before the blizzard.

I agreed with her. If I had a relative getting married last night, I'd probably have gone in for Shabbos already to be closer to the location.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 2:19 pm
One of my relatives last year got married the night of the mega blizzard that never happened. Wedding was called for earlier, it was gorgeous, so many people made an effort to be there (and got stuck in town due to the state of emergency rather then the weather, so many people to put up for accommodations last minute)

Only issue chassan and Kallah couldn't get anywhere after the wedding ended because the state of emergency. We found them a really nice furnished apartment to stay in last minute and the host was really nice and took care of them.

Turned out well in the end. (Especially because the weather behaved in the end).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics