Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O I'm sure my 14 year old son doesn't know about relatio

vicki

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:35 pm
So I have always believed that "the buck stops with me" with regards to educating my children. In terms of most school subjects, I happily let teachers teach even though if I feel my child should learn something somewhat different I expect to cover it myself. (of course if that happens too much, I would change their school)

But in terms of $exuality, manners, bullying I would never prefer my kids pick this up somewhere else. As a matter of fact I feel the need to educate BEFORE they learn something I don't like so that they can know the way "we" hold.

I see others feel differently - let school educate, let friends educate.
I am curious as to other opinions.

observer

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:36 pm
I would definitely want my children to hear it from me.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:39 pm
observer wrote:
I would definitely want my children to hear it from me.

Same here. I'm also very open to questions about things DD may have heard outside the home. You'd be surprised (well, some of you would) at how young kids are exposed to stuff these days. From other kids in shul even! shock

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:40 pm
Depends who's teaching it at school. My mother was best friends with the school nurse, so I assume she was fine with her friend (who had a lesson plan and experience) teaching me in school.

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:46 pm
I would want my kids to learn from me in a healthy way without any garbage or inaccuracies.
Additionally, I would make sure my kids feel comfortable enough to approach me with their questions, rather than from their friends..

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:53 pm
vicki wrote:
So I have always believed that "the buck stops with me" with regards to educating my children. In terms of most school subjects, I happily let teachers teach even though if I feel my child should learn something somewhat different I expect to cover it myself. (of course if that happens too much, I would change their school)

But in terms of $exuality, manners, bullying I would never prefer my kids pick this up somewhere else. As a matter of fact I feel the need to educate BEFORE they learn something I don't like so that they can know the way "we" hold.

I see others feel differently - let school educate, let friends educate.
I am curious as to other opinions.

I'm just curious how this is a "spinoff"??? It seems to address the very issue in the other thread.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:56 pm
vicki wrote:

I agree that it's our responsibility to educate our children, but I don't think it is the biggest deal if a kid hears first from somewhere else. Some kids are informed by their friends very young.

As a side note, anyone else hate the term relations? It makes me cringe every time

vicki

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
I'm just curious how this is a "spinoff"??? It seems to address the very issue in the other thread.

As I wrote, I am curious about people's opinions about all out-of-school and some in-school topics as well.
I see with manners, also, some parents hesitate to get involved in fighting, bullying, etc. saying "boys will be boys", etc.
The spitting thread also got me thinking. When it seems the Mom wasn't on top of this and let the OP deal with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics