Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you think that 4 inches below your knee is halacha?
1  2  3  Next

Do you think that 4 inches below your knee is a halacha nowadays?
Yes  
 6%  [ 12 ]
No  
 39%  [ 70 ]
What?  
 7%  [ 13 ]
I think it's a recommendation, not halacha  
 45%  [ 81 ]
Other (please specify in post)  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 179

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 12:35 am
This came up at work, and I was surprised at the amount of opinions on this topic.

I'm curious to hear what you think.

Do you consider the 4 inches below your knee rule to be a psak halacha?

Do you think rabbanim today can determine a new halacha?

ETA:

Please explain your answer.

Whenever possible, please write sources.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 12:50 am
How can you sit without knees on display if it barley covers when standing ?

busydev

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 12:58 am
No it is not halacha, its a guideline. Halacha is to cover the shok. Which my rav holds to include the knee. So I must cover the knee. Most of my skirts are actually more then 4 inches below.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 3:25 am
The halacha is that Ervah should be covered at all times. The 4 inches for the skirts is just so to ensure it remains covered when sitting, walking, going up steps ect...

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:08 am
No,they don't even teach that in the BY highschools in Jerusalem. Your knee must be covered at all times and you should look respectable.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:17 am
Iymnok wrote:
No,they don't even teach that in the BY highschools in Jerusalem. Your knee must be covered at all times and you should look respectable.

When I was in HS they taught it as Halacha. They said that the rabbanim paskened it's not tznius. It turned me off against tznius in a big way. I wanted to know who are these rabbanim who are looking at women's legs to determine the cutoff point of what's tznius. Anyway they don't teach it that way anymore because they see it backfired.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:21 am
4 inches davka? No. 4 inches would barely cover anything on a tall lady and would completely swamp a little girl. But there does need to be enough covered below the knee so that it's covered in all positions.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:21 am
amother wrote:
How can you sit without knees on display if it barley covers when standing ?

Tablecloths at simchas, desks at work

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:05 am
I was visiting Lakewood and took my daughter shopping. They had these 4 inch ruler things with a rubber band. The package said to put the band just under your knee and the skirt MUST match up to the ruler. It was cool! It reminded me of the rulers that Moshe gave to the women at har sinai to measure their skirts. Wait.... Ummm.....

animeme

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:17 am
amother wrote:

Can someone please explain why one would rely on something like this to keep their knees covered? What happens if you want to sit down for a minute in the lobby, or at shul, or on a couch? Why have to repeatedly tug at one's skirt to cover the knees?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:27 am
amother wrote:

They have tablecloths at the park? On the bus? At restaurants?

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:34 am
I was taught that knees need to be covered even while sitting and 4 inches ensures that they are. I never actually measured any of my skirts (and I'm pretty sure that they're less than 4 inches ) but I do make sure that knees are covered while in a sitting position when purchasing a new skirt.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:49 am
It's a recommendation, to aid in keeping the halacha, which is that the knee be covered at all times and activities.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:51 am
No, because the latest Halacha dictates that skirts be 6-7 inches below the knee. Four inches is now for the rebels...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:01 am
Maya wrote:
No, because the latest Halacha dictates that skirts be 6-7 inches below the knee. Four inches is now for the rebels...

I'm not sure if you're serious and referring to Chassidic circles. Mama Bear once explained how the hemlines are adjusted periodically to be b'shita not necessarily with the times.

I'm with all those who don't rely on tablecloths, their pashminas, etc. but make sure that they're covered regardless. A very wise mechaneches told me years ago to make sure my kids sit down, comfortably, not primly, in whatever we buy. (Of course, once they're doing their own shopping I can only hope they make good decisions. But my money won't go for too short skirts.)

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:27 am
My knees are covered even when sitting and my skirts are abt 2 inches below the knee.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:30 am
Maya wrote:

For the rebels and the shorties... LOL

I can never win...with 6 or 7 inches I would almost be sweeping the floors.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:56 am
Iymnok wrote:

not sure which beis yaacok in jm you went to.
But the one I went to def. held 4 inches was a Halacha. And when I was in 10th grade the Rabbanim came out with a new psak that all skirts must be duty length (Emtza), basically the middle of the calf. They gave out this pamflet that had all the new rules printed on it.
(those rules also nixed lycra shells. and longer than shoulder length sheitels)
I don't believe any of the above are halacha.
I make sure I am wearing a skirt that covers my knees at all times.
With straight skirts thats a bit longer, And with flary its a bit shorter.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 9:05 am
I'm with those that say it depends how tall you are. Yes, I happen to wear "duty length" skirts, and am only 5', but my daughter is 4'9". You can't blame a teenager for not wanting to wear a skirt waaaay below her knees, almost to her ankles Wink. And yes, she is tznius and her knees are completely covered at all times.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 9:05 am
I think it is a guideline to make it possible to keep halacha. Without it, it's very hard to keep the halacha properly.

For example:

We keep Kosher and therefore "we must never ever ever eat milk and meat together...."(thank you Uncle Moishy). How do we enforce this and make it possible? By having 2 sets of dishes, silverware, pots. Does it say anywhere in the Torah that you have to have different pots for milk and meat? Nope! But, this is how we keep halacha.

Same with Tznius. In order to help us keep the halacha, they gave us a guideline. I'm tall, and 4 inches doesn't really do it on me, but it is a guideline and just because they gave us a guideline, doesn't mean we can turn our brains off. The halacha is cover your knee in all positions. For some reason people couldn't figure out how to do this, so they were given a guideline. It isn't a new halacha - but it is how to keep this halacha in all positions. They did the work for us.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics