Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Move 8 months pregnant or with newborn
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:09 pm
I live currently live in Brooklyn with no family nearby. I work full time and my dh is not working. Bh he found a job in the oot city that I am from and my parents still live. His job starts 9/1. I am IYH due in August. I am very unsure how to time this move. I have two kids aged 3 and 1 so they are not really a factor in the timing. I can move at the end of June and then we will be just burning through savings until my husband starts his job in September. I am not sure I will have an apartment in our new city until 9/1 so we will end up in my parents basement for 2 months which is not so ideal. On the flip side I will have help with my kids when I have the baby and im sure the actual move is a million times easier pregnant than with a newborn. If I move after I have the baby we will be better off financially and I won't be stuck in my parents basement but I will have to move with a newborn and I will have zero help at all when I IYH have the baby. What would u recommend? Did anyone move 8 months preg or with a newborn? Please share your experience. This move is a big move. It is from Brooklyn to the midwest.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:14 pm
Why will you be better off financially if you move later? Because you will keep on working? Won't you have to pay rent whereas you won't in your parents basement. Trying to understand

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:19 pm
I will be better off financially because I will keep working. If I end up in my parents basement for a month or two yes I save on rent but I am still better off working and paying rent than not working and not paying rent.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:34 pm
I moved 8 months pregnant once upon a time. It was fine, no big deal.

I currently have a newborn and I can't imagine moving. I can barely put myself together to pick the other kids up from school, and she's a month old already. It's easy to forget how difficult the newborn phase is, and how impossible everything becomes, until you're back in the hell of it again.

I recommend moving before the baby arrives.

Shuly

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:52 pm
I moved 2 weeks before my baby was born and it was so smart. I never could have managed moving with a newborn.
We weren't fully unpacked before the baby was born, but at least the clothing and my kitchen were unpacked before the baby was born.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:
I moved 8 months pregnant once upon a time. It was fine, no big deal.

I currently have a newborn and I can't imagine moving. I can barely put myself together to pick the other kids up from school, and she's a month old already. It's easy to forget how difficult the newborn phase is, and how impossible everything becomes, until you're back in the hell of it again.

I recommend moving before the baby arrives.

same here

I only moved neighborhoods when I was pregnant, but I had a choice between pregnant or baby and I decided pregnant. My issues were also the weather, which I opted for warmer weather.

ectomorph

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:06 pm
I moved pregnant and with baby. Pregnant was much easier.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:06 pm
What about moving after you have the baby and hiring a moving company to pack you? Figure out how much that costs and if it's cheaper to do that and get paid for work. My family member moved with a newborn and toddler and that's what she did. They paid a lot but she said it was totally worth it for hers she also hired an organizer to tell the movers where to put everything in the new apartment.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:13 pm
It depends on your pregnancies and if your baby tends to be better behaved or not. I cannot move from the couch when pregnant. No way I'd be able to move house.

With a 4 week old now I feel way better than I did in the last 2 months of my pregnancy. The only problem is that the baby takes up a lot of time. I would hire a mother's helper or babysitter to take the baby a few hours in the two weeks leading up to the move so that you can pack uninterrupted. You can also start packing now to ease the stress later on.

queenert

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:26 pm
I also recommend moving pregnant rather than with a newborn but Azure is right - it depends on you.
One thing I do have to add is that you might want to factor in your other kids. Both moves and new babies are difficult adjustments. Depending on your kids, you may want to lump the difficulties together or have them adjust to the new home and get them settled before you introduce a new family member.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:32 pm
I also think moving while pregnant is not so bad and easier than with a new baby. I also think moving into your parents basement for a month or two could be a win win if they'll help you with your kids and new baby.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:54 pm
Before making your decision check with your health insurance. I know someone who moved to NY from Lakewood in her 8th month and came back to NJ to deliver her baby because she was having trouble with getting on to another insurance.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
Before making your decision check with your health insurance. I know someone who moved to NY from Lakewood in her 8th month and came back to NJ to deliver her baby because she was having trouble with getting on to another insurance.

Right that's a good point. You'd also have to make sure a good ob would take you as a patient at that point in your pregnancy.

SacN

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:12 pm
I made aliyah 8 months pregnant, and I have a friend who gave birth around the same time I did and pushed off her aliyah until after her baby was 9 months old.

I would 100% do it again the way I did it. We actually made a lot of friends right away, between a bris, shalom zachor, people sending us meals. We also pushed up the move and managed in two fewer months of income, which was hard, but I'm glad we did it this way.

I could never move with a baby.

pmom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 4:00 pm
with baby is much easier in my opinion.
FYI my mother went into labor in 7th months right after we moved (bh I have a sweet little sister). my sister-in-law had a miscarriage while moving.
the stress is really high. I would recommend waiting and hiring a mothers helper for 2 days.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:18 pm
I moved with a newborn straight from the hospital. It was awful. I moved from all my friends, I was alone with a newborn. I couldn't help move because I just gave birth and having a new baby and a house all is disarray was challenging emotionally. Do it now so you have enough time to make the house ready and meet people and settle things down.

IMO moving with a new baby is too much newness. Do it before hand.

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:23 pm
Eight months pregnant. It's much harder with a newborn.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:27 pm
Like the others did, I'd recommend moving while pregnant instead of with a newborn.

ETA: Can you move 3 weeks before your due date? Pack now and move just before so you can work now but still arrive in the Midwest in time to deliver there and have help from family with the birth.

If you have to move with a newborn because of finances and logistics, make sure everything is packed and ready to go in the meantime. Live off of 1 weeks worth of clothes for each member of the family and use paper goods. Almost everything else packed up in boxes like storage.

mamamia1

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:47 pm
Just to add : Everyone has great advice and you have to take it all in and decide what works best for you , your personality and your family.

Everyone is different! For some a move to parents basement is impossible to others it's fine.
Only you can decide what'll work for you and with all the great perspectives here you can make an informed decision!!
Hatzlacha

bookworm10

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:37 pm
I moved pregnant. I cannot imagine moving with a newborn- I think that would be much more difficult.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating