Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How often do you go on vacation without your kids
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

how often do you go on vacation without kids
once a year  
 29%  [ 38 ]
twice a year  
 9%  [ 12 ]
once in 2 years  
 8%  [ 11 ]
once in 3 years or more  
 52%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 128

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 3:57 pm
Never. Been married 8 years, 2 kids so far.

I don't live close enough to family that my kids are so at home with them that they would feel comfortable being left with anyone besides me or my husband. Even when we visit family for an extended yomtov or week in the summer, my husband and I don't get a night off because my kids freak out about being left at Bubby's house.

I miss my family.
I wish my kids had more contact with their grandparents.
I think my marriage could use some DH-and-me-only time.

Whatever...

slushiemom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 3:59 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Never. Been married 8 years, 2 kids so far.

I don't live close enough to family that my kids are so at home with them that they would feel comfortable being left with anyone besides me or my husband. Even when we visit family for an extended yomtov or week in the summer, my husband and I don't get a night off because my kids freak out about being left at Bubby's house.

I miss my family.
I wish my kids had more contact with their grandparents.
I think my marriage could use some DH-and-me-only time.

Whatever...

You wouldn't get a babysitter for just one night? It's ok for kids to understand that once in awhile their parents need time alone...

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 3:59 pm
We dont but I am also at the stage where my kids go to sleep pretty early so I do have a fair amount of quiet time to myself.

I call legal holidays my mini vacation days. Memorial day, I got to hang out with the baby and DH, had a coffee and relaxed while my older child was in school. I try to do that every time I have a day off and he does not.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:02 pm
slushiemom wrote:
You wouldn't get a babysitter for just one night? It's ok for kids to understand that once in awhile their parents need time alone...

We occasionally get babysitters for date nights (3-4 hours out), but overnights/sleepovers are tougher. We've tried it and it ended disastrously Sad

Also, in 8 years, we've never done a "just for fun" vacation, even with the kids. We have such limited vacation time and no budget, so any trips are to visit family. Kids are young enough that day trips are sufficient.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:11 pm
For anyone who has legal holidays off but their children do not, I think its a nice way to have a personal day alone or with your spouse. I try very hard not to cook, clean or be productive. It really helps my mental health. I look forward to those 6 days a year!

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:13 pm
Never been on vacation at all, not even when I was single, not even before I had children, unless visiting my inlaws is considered a vacation.
what would we even do on vacation?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:15 pm
mha3484 wrote:
For anyone who has legal holidays off but their children do not, I think its a nice way to have a personal day alone or with your spouse. I try very hard not to cook, clean or be productive. It really helps my mental health. I look forward to those 6 days a year!

I loved that time when I had that as well...both me and my DH looked forward to spending the quiet time together. We usually went out to eat for lunch on a day like that and took a little trip somewhere. (I no longer have off on those days Crying )

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:19 pm
I am lucky, due to my work it would look bad for me to work on legal holidays. People dont take kindly to being called by a recruiter on memorial day or july 4th etc.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:20 pm
I did it once with my husband I had a work event which was an overnight and it was only 1 kid I left at the time.
We're planning to go away but I don't have great childcare arrangements which is the hardest part.
If I did have good childcare arrangements I would do it at least once a year.
We both work extremely hard and don't spend a lot of time together so even just an overnight would do a lot for both of us.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:29 pm
Dh and I have never gone on vacation. Not with the kids, not with out the kids. Never. We've been married 10 years, a second marriage for both of us, so there were kids already in the picture. Its complicated, but parents arent willing to babysit overnight and there are little ones still too young to leave with an overnight sitter. Also, there isnt a single penny to spare on even one overnight.

When you have kids already, things change.

busymother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:29 pm
I wish!! My kids are not flexible at all in that way! Maybe when they grow up a bit... Dh and I are always talking about how we can get a local hotel room and just have a date night together there, without spending the night... Maybe...one day...

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:34 pm
We try it every few years but never enjoy it as much as we think we will. We love going away with the kids, sharing in their excitement. When we leave them we worry about them. Maybe when they're older...

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:50 pm
vacation, whats a vacation?

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 4:52 pm
Ive been by my self to israel with out my kids, with one kid, with dh. Been to london by myself, with 2 kids and with all kids. been to the US with dh and twins.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:21 pm
We have no kids and go on one big trip a year and a few small ones each year. I hope that we will vacation with and without our kids once we have them. But who knows?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:22 pm
busymother wrote:
I wish!! My kids are not flexible at all in that way! Maybe when they grow up a bit... Dh and I are always talking about how we can get a local hotel room and just have a date night together there, without spending the night... Maybe...one day...

Ditto. "Never" should have been one of the poll options.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:25 pm
I wish! But we have got no one to watch the kids .

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:51 pm
Once, when I was pregnant. A few other times with one kid. We can find people to watch our older kids but a toddler or baby is too much for most people.

But, a few of those times have been work related trips for my husband. So not really a fully carefree vacation

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 6:11 pm
I voted once a year but if we happen to have a baby at the time then we take him/her along. Older than a year I leave with a babysitter.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:31 pm
A few times a year for 1-3 nights. However all our children are adults or teenager.

If not for price line we most probably wouldn't be able to do it.
DH says its cheaper than therapy.

When they were young we went once every year or two for two nights and took the baby along.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics