Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How often do you go on vacation without your kids
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

how often do you go on vacation without kids
once a year  
 29%  [ 38 ]
twice a year  
 9%  [ 12 ]
once in 2 years  
 8%  [ 11 ]
once in 3 years or more  
 52%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 128

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:34 pm
went once almost two years after we were married parents watched ds who was almost one. besides that when he stayed with me in the hospital when I had my kids.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:51 pm
When my kids were little? Never. My vacation waa the 24 hr stay in the hospital when I had a baby.Now that they are older teens and I have an older daughter to leave in charge we try to go away for a night or two once or twice a year. Also helps that I have sons who dorm so right away it's less kids to leave.
Anon because of my kids ages.

squirrel

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:54 pm
Married 10 yrs and we are dying to get away but the kids are young and dont have where to leave them I feel its unfair to overburden family just because I need a vacation.
We had our honeymoon getaways before the kids came and we do a winter and summer vacation with the family.
This sounds crazy but our vacation is when I give birth. My births are all planned so I schedule them to be on thurdsay/friday and we spend a nice quiet, peaceful shabbos in the hospital.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:57 pm
We go away for 2-3 nights without kids about once every 2 years. I don't like to leave a baby that gets up at night and it wouldn't be a vacation for me to go away with a baby otherwise it would likely be yearly. I am lucky that we live near family and my kids love going to them.
My parents pretty much did the same growing up and I have fun memories from the sleepovers we had when they were away.

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 11:05 pm
Um, never? It looks like there are a lot of us in that category. The last time we went away, just the two of us, was almost 7 years ago, and it's never going to happen again. The time before that was 11 years ago, for our first anniversary.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 11:46 pm
In seven years of marriage I have never gone on vacation with my husband without the kids. One time, ONE, we went boating and out to dinner and left the kids with my parents. That was this year and it lasted about four hours.

SRS

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 12:34 am
We once went to a wedding and left the children with my sister. We got home around 2AM and at 6AM I went over to her home to pick the kids up before rush hour so I would not have to sit in traffic on the way there for 3 hours for a reasonably short drive. Does that count?

Three times I have went out of town overnight without the kids for something (reunion of sorts, business trip, shiva house). I think my husband was out for a week once for a business trip. I have more nights out of the house because I have been in the hospital for kids and for a emergency visit.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 1:17 am
Don't mean this in a mean way but I feel sad that so many women here have never gone on vacation without their kids. Am I just imposing my feelings on others or is it sad for you?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:24 am
Once since my oldest was born nearly 5 yrs ago. And we didn't plan to. We were gonna be going camping for 2 days and a night with our then 10 mo child but that morning my mother said why don't you leave the baby with me. So we were gone less then 24 hours in the end. I think less then 20. (I had a decent freezer stash and pumped a few times while we were gone so feeding worked out. my mother woke up at night to feed.) It was nice to be away but no luxurious accommodations-tent under the stars and blow up mattress. Best I'd hope for is 2 nights away with no nursing kids. But not happening just yet. (So once in the 5 years since we had kids)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:27 am
I was one of those that would have written never for the first 15 years of my marriage

then we did it once and we realized how good it is for the marriage

I try to do it once a year if I can

rachelle613

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:32 am
Never been away without my kids, and never plan to. Tichellady- I don't feel sad at all about it! My kids are my family! Why would I want to leave them? It's more for the kids really, they're little and they'll have a hard time with it. I can't go away knowing my kids are upset. Plus, how could I expect someone else to deal with them waking up in the night/having accidents/tantrums etc? I honestly don't think it's fair, no much how much of an 'easy' child they are...

slushiemom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:01 am
rachelle613 wrote:
Never been away without my kids, and never plan to. Tichellady- I don't feel sad at all about it! My kids are my family! Why would I want to leave them? It's more for the kids really, they're little and they'll have a hard time with it. I can't go away knowing my kids are upset. Plus, how could I expect someone else to deal with them waking up in the night/having accidents/tantrums etc? I honestly don't think it's fair, no much how much of an 'easy' child they are...

your family is more than just your kids though, you don't realize how incredibly important it is to give your relationship with your husband that kind of time and focus once in awhile, until you actually do it...

as for having someone else deal with them, I agree it's a factor, but when we plan to go away we budget in the babysitter. Once I'm paying someone, I feel no guilt if they deal with cranky kids Tongue Out it's part of the job description!

We definitely didn't do this as often when the kids were really little, but now they're bigger and it's much easier. they're 9,8,3 and all in school full day so all it is for the babysitter is an afternoon/evening, and getting them to school the next day. the 8 year old puts the 3 year old to sleep, and I have all clothing and food prepared for them. it's a lot of work going away, but SO worth it.

slushiemom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:02 am
Another thing I wanted to add is that I think it's GOOD for kids to see you taking that kind of time. They'll survive, and they'll see that I prioritize time away with my husband alone once in awhile. sets a good example for when they're married! Smile

cm

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 6:46 am
tichellady wrote:
Don't mean this in a mean way but I feel sad that so many women here have never gone on vacation without their kids. Am I just imposing my feelings on others or is it sad for you?

Not sad at all. I can't fathom leaving a nursing baby behind, and if anything we are frustrated that we do not have enough time together as a family.

The OP asked about "hard working" people taking vacations. That can be interpreted many ways, but for us it means dh and I are both employed year-round, and the lion's share of our vacation time goes to Jewish holidays. In general, it is a logistical impossibility for us to be "off" at the same time. When we are able to manage a vacation, being together as a family is our highest priority.

Dh and I very occasionally leave the other behind for business meetings, family simchas or other reasons, and our child goes away without us for youth events. We enjoy these little breaks, but they are not essential for our happiness.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:14 am
My dream vacation would actually be to leave dh with the kids and travel solo Wink

Happy 2B

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:56 am
No option for never? I went to Eishes Chayil when I had a baby does that count?? Was without my hubby and I had a baby with me Smile

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:04 am
Happy 2B wrote:
No option for never? I went to Eishes Chayil when I had a baby does that count?? Was without my hubby and I had a baby with me Smile

Of course it counts.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:06 am
Another never.

My dream vacation is a cottage with a private pool so we could swim as a family.

A night away with DH would be nice, I wouldn't know what to do with the kids though.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:10 am
I am unfamiliar with this term "vacation." Is it a type of food? Silly

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:12 am
I suppose it was a month ago, when I got to sleep in till 7am! Oh man that felt amazing! Hooray
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics