Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Going up to the Catskills for first time....help me out

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 7:25 pm
OK I'll be honest I DO NOT want to go! But... I'm getting a free bungalow so I am doing it for my kids. I will be working though so I'm not sure if it will be a vacation at all. What do I pack? What do I need? I'm freaking out, I just moved from Israel less than a year ago I feel like I'm still in that temporary twilight stage. I don't need this now...hope I dont sound ungrateful

fbmommy

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 7:32 pm
Even though you're not so thrilled the kids love it!
Not sure what the bungalow has already but here's some things you might find helpful.
1. The kids need an entire pool wardrobe, 2 bathing suits per kid, 2 pool robes per girl, and one or even two pairs of crocs (cheap ones are fine) cuz they are in and out of the pool all day and the stuff doesn't always dry overnite (and they lose it..)
2. For the kitchen don't pack too much. You don't really cook too much so skip the mixer and big pots. I have a hand mixer for quick cakes. Also, skip the dishes unless you want to spend all summer long washing. I stock up on clear paper goods for Shabbos when they're on sale now for the summer.

LibiBamizrach

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 7:39 pm
I have two girls and one boy do they all need two pairs of everything? how much is the pre-bungalow shopping? I'm sooooo not a 24/7 social person. How do I keep my privacy. I will share the washer/dryer with the other family connected to our bungalow. so how many sets of clothing per kid? Thanks so much

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:34 pm
Not exactly the same situation/questions but maybe this recent thread will help a bit? A lot was discussed. Also search for other threads on the topic (search "bungalow").

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....galow

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:46 pm
Youll basically need to pack most of the things you own Wink Take only things that youre OK with having it get ruined. Light clothes will turn muddy and grass stained so keep it practical. Like I said, the nights get cold and it can get rainy so pack for nearly every weather. If you'll take enough sets of clothes you wont be washing often...The kids need some basic toys, like balls and bikes...everything and I mean EVERYTHING should be labeled. Take bug sprays and all that too...

And dont be surprised if you end up enjoying yourself Smile You might end up making some life long friends and it'll help you shift into the whole "living in America" thing.
Good Luck!
Take it easy!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:53 pm
You need linen and pillows/blankets
Some kitchenware
Shabbos stuff like knife, zemiros, becher....
Raincoats, unbrellas, crocs
6 sets of weekday clothes
2 shabbos
Few pair pjs. Even a winter pair.
Will you have phone service there?
Activities for rainy days
Some toys and books
Riding toys
If you have an infant/toddler invest in the red pushcar toy. It's great
Sweater and 1-2 fall clothes per kid. It gets cold sometimes
Decent clothes for you.....(you're in public all day every day)
Detergent for the washing machine
Food/ paper goods is cheaper in the city so stock up
Make a meat order before going out as well
Pool gear and toys
Take it easy once you're there! It's summer after all!

LibiBamizrach

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:01 pm
thank you everyone, I have this tendency to get very overwhelmed at something new. never went to the country as a kid, only when I was very little. BUT....I do remember my mom getting really stressed out...guess it runs in the genes. back to the clothing type. I like to be comfortable but I'm always dressed...always! im not comfortable being in a slinky skirt in public. is that normal in the country? this is a very chasidish place, not my type at all!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:05 pm
In most colonies they wear slinky skirts and a tee or "robe top" in very chasidish places. Some will get dressed when going off grounds. Wear what you feel comfy in. If the place is veeeerrry chasidish chances are they'll wear short slinky skirts.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:08 pm
same exact story here! besides the bad attitude Wink That's my thread linked above.

You said you'll be working a lot of the time, so I wouldn't worry that much about social life.

Things like bug spray I'm planning to buy there. Do you have a large vehicle? I don't. I'm aiming for minimalism. Two trips in my sedan, tops. So anything that could conceivably get used up in two months gets bought in the country and left there.

Also planning to use lots of disposables and buy those up there too. I don't love washing dishes and don't want to deal with packing and shlepping them either. Too bad on the environment. I've done this in the city on occasion too and it doesn't end up that expensive. I don't *waste* them, I *use* them.

If your laundry isn't pay per load and shared with 20 other families (like mine was growing up) then why worry about how many changes of clothes each person needs, you can wash as needed. Just bring everything that fits that won't be devastating if it gets trashed, plus a couple of shabbos outfits each.

I'm taking two bathing suits per child and one cover-up each. Why would they need two? Worst case scenario if one is wet/trashed and they need to go again so they'll towel off and put clothes on. I thought even one each was a convenience splurge but I'm sure it will be good to have.

on my thread someone suggested those mostly-closed waterproof sandals as default footwear, that sounded like a great idea.

Don't forget that rainy days happen - don't assume the kids will be outdoors all the time. Bring or be prepared to buy indoor things like craft supplies and games/puzzles.

I'm actually going to have to buy quite a lot of things when I get there because DH will be spending most of the summer in the city, so I need to leave the basics behind. Oh well.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:09 pm
Wear the slinky skirt. You'll get used to not feeling dressed. Otherwise your city clothes are going to get trashed.

LibiBamizrach

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:24 pm
so not my type. my neighbors dont know if I own a snood
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics