Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Time share lecture

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:50 am
I received two offers in the mail for freebies in exchange for sitting through a lecture on time shares. One was for 4 amusement park tickets + hotel room, the other was for 2 round trip tickets anywhere in the us. For the record I have no interest in purchasing a time share but I don't mind sitting through the lecture in exchange for what they're offering. I'm just wondering if you actually get the tickets in the end or if this is a scam and you find out after you go that it's only for the first 10 people or whatever. Anyone have experience?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 11:12 am
My friend just went to a resort in Virginia for 3 nights. She had to sit through a lecture one day when she was there.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 11:17 am
It depends on the company. The legit ones rarely offer plane tickets, and, if you check, the taxes (you pay) are high and flights very restricted. However, we've gotten 3 nights in St Thomas for 150 (all fees) from Marriott for 2 hours of listening and similar deals from other major hotels. We've had a room in midtown for 79. (I live OOT ), 3 nights in Orlando, a show in the Bahamas, etc. no one pressured us at all.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 11:19 am
My parents did (and do) this all the time and actually bought with Wyndham. I thought they were crazy but they are retired so frankly their vacation time is more flexible than most people's.

I personally wouldn't do it at this stage of my life

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 12:23 pm
We did this more than a couple of years back. The guy at the meeting was so nice, he asked are you guys seriously interested? If not then just enjoy your vacation I won't waste your time. But we were young and dumb and felt uncomfortable saying flat out we're not interested. So we feigned interest and sat through about 90 minutes of discussion and presentation. And then said no thanks.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 4:25 pm
Update: OP here. I went to the time share presentation. It was about 1/2 hour drive away. It was supposed to take 90 minutes but ended up taking over 2 hours. We kept telling them we have to go, we have to go because we had to be back to pick up our kids from day camp. They kept making different offers hoping we'd take them up on something. At the time I did feel bad turning them down (that's the whole point) but now that I read about how terrible time shares are I'm glad we resisted the pressure. The resort itself wasn't that impressive, if I had extra vacation money to throw around I wouldn't use it on them.

I did get the coupon in the end for the vacation package, but I have to pay a $50 registration fee and $60 in taxes. There are also restrictions on when I can use it. For sure not this summer, maybe next summer. But considering that a ticket to Hershey is $60 for adults, 4 tickets have a $240 value so not a total waste.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 7:27 am
MMmmm sounds really fishy

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 10:11 am
I guess it depends on how yu value your time. Two adults spent at least three hours each and probably a bit more when all time is calculated. That's not counting travel expenses.

For tickets to an amusement park one will probably not wind up using because of restricted dates?

If one actually wants a time share, one can buy in the aftermarket at a huge discount. But for most people, time shares are worse than worthless.

I once went to one with my father because they promised transportation to San Francisco and I had friends there. If I had been at all susceptible to any kind of sales pitch, the hard sale tactics would have worked which is what they are counting on. I can't imagine a less likely duo to pitch than my father and I. 😀😀

I did get the reward eventually which turned out to be a seat in one of those questionable buses which one hears about driving off the side of the road because the driver has 35 DUI. not to mention the idea of spending significant time with people on a bus service called White Rabbit Trips. 🙀😱

cm

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
Update: OP here. I went to the time share presentation. It was about 1/2 hour drive away. It was supposed to take 90 minutes but ended up taking over 2 hours.

I am not an expert, but my understanding is that it is ok to walk out once you have stayed the agreed-upon amount of time.

Personally, I have gone to these types of presentations when the promotion is a discounted stay at a property and the talk is given during the stay - in other words, you don't have to try to use a coupon of dubious value in the future. We got Disney tickets and low-cost overnight accommodations in Orlando once, and just had to meet with the sales rep before checking out.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 1:59 pm
I went to such a thing in Orlando,
I live in Miami
They gave us 2 nights and 2 Disney tickets for free.
I came to the meeting prepared, I let them know how much it would cost to OWN a house vs buying a time share. Owning a house that could build equity was cheaper.
We sat there for 90 minutes drinking coffee, each busy on our cell phones.
At the end of the 90 min.the person left, the "speech" lasted maybe 5 min. Because they knew I would be more interested in buying a vacation home than their time share.
If you are not interested and only going for the prize, I suggest you let them know, set a timer for them to see (yes I know it's rude) and insist on leaving ON TIME.

I got a free Disney vacation out of it.
You do have to give them a credit card before you book though.
I called my credit card AE, and let them know NOT to accept charges because it may be a fraud.
I also let them, the time share company, know that I had done this.
NO CHARGE ever appeared.

I just get lots and lots of phone calls for more vacations .

Might have been a dumb move from us , but At the time we were so desperate for a vacation, we did it.
I wouldn't do it again though.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 4:13 pm
cm wrote:
I am not an expert, but my understanding is that it is ok to walk out once you have stayed the agreed-upon amount of time.

Personally, I have gone to these types of presentations when the promotion is a discounted stay at a property and the talk is given during the stay - in other words, you don't have to try to use a coupon of dubious value in the future. We got Disney tickets and low-cost overnight accommodations in Orlando once, and just had to meet with the sales rep before checking out.

You can leave but you're basically at their mercy to get the vacation voucher which was the point of going there in the first place. If you walk out what recourse do you have?

True if you factor in the drive and the time we don't save much on the vacation itself. Otoh if not for this offer I would not be going to Hershey at all. And how often do my husband and I take a drive anywhere, just the two of us? (The drive and the tour itself were scenic, I'll grant them that.)

asmileaday

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 10:05 pm
I wouldn't do a timeshare lecture in exchange for getting vouchers at the end to use some other time. That's almost guaranteed to cause agmas nefesh with blackout dates and what not.
I'd only do it like we did before. Book a vacation at MY convenience where the overall price is discounted because we will attend the 90 min lecture while on vacation.
I think that was totally worth it. I'd do it again.

Rosemarie

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:51 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I wouldn't do a timeshare lecture in exchange for getting vouchers at the end to use some other time. That's almost guaranteed to cause agmas nefesh with blackout dates and what not.
I'd only do it like we did before. Book a vacation at MY convenience where the overall price is discounted because we will attend the 90 min lecture while on vacation.
I think that was totally worth it. I'd do it again.

Where do you find such offers? Ones that can be booked at your convenience that require the lecture while you are there, not sometime beforehand?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics