Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is a 6 month old baby included as an occupant of hotel room

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 3:06 pm
We recently went to a hotel in Lake George where we booked a room with max occupancy of 5 online. I didn't think very much of it because I never had an issued before. I thought 2 adults and 3 kids and baby would be fine. When we arrived at the hotel they asked how many kids we had and I said 4 children. They refused to give us the room because the maximum occupancy for that room was 5. I told them that the baby would be sleeping with me but they refused to give us the room. We had to get a second room.

Have any of you had any problems like this before? Were they just picking on us because we were orthodox Jews which they assume have lots of kids?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 3:27 pm
I'd say a person is a person. Sorry, I think baby counts

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 3:28 pm
Very weird. We take yearly trips sometimes 2x a year with kids. Baby was never considered an occupant.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 5:25 pm
Why wouldn't the baby count as an occupant? I'm not understanding the rationale.

Most apartments have legal limits for occupancy and they don't exclude babies in the count.

The only exclusion that would make sense is if it were based on food and therefore babies are excluded because they obviously aren't eating the meal plan.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 5:27 pm
Some hotels care and some don't. It's due to fire hazards and legal purposes.

Last edited by flowerpower on Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 7:20 pm
when we ordered on the phone they didnt count the baby (one yrs). dont now if it made a difference that we asked for a crib but a crib is free at hotels as oppose to an extra bed

you can call up the hotel and ask how much it would be based upon what you did and see if they make you take an extra room. and if not then you can write a letter to the head.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 8:25 pm
They can get in troube based on fire codes. I've found some hotels to be much stricter than others.
The ones that I sometimes find stricter are the ones that have people taking lots of advantage.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 9:10 pm
We once had this and when I said the baby would sleep on me, they let. I got no sleep, but saved alot of money

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 9:59 pm
It's for fire safety, not to pick on you.

Marion

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 8:21 am
It's not about the crib or not, it's about safety. They're allowed to put x number of people in a room...such that we were able to have two cribs in our room (us and two babies) once when we went away for the weekend (we couldn't MOVE in the room, mind you, with two cribs) but the next time we wanted to do the same thing it was us and THREE kids (two babies) and we were told no.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:56 pm
We stayed at a suites hotel in Lake George and they were super strict. It was the first and last time I ever brought a toaster on a vacation and the hotel confiscated it from my room and had me put it into my car. They said it was because of the fire code. In the end we had enough food and I never bring a toaster anymore. Regarding room occupancy, I also have 4 kids kneina hara and I always list the baby as an occupant - it's very difficult to find hotels that allow 6 in a room but when you do you usually find lots of other frum people vacationing too so that's exciting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics