Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Growing out alleriges, how long?

shlumzmum

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:50 pm
my son has alot of allergies but b"h it's not so hard anymore. when he was a year old I had to take him of wheat, it was so hard to start giving spelt and then I realized how important wheat is
he b"h outgrew this allergy after a year but he still has some allergies like milk, soy, nuts, sesame
does anyone have experience with these allergies and know if he can outgrow them??

Ima'la

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 2:36 am
I think they still have a chance until about 5.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 4:58 pm
you can ask your allergist. you have to completely avoid the allergen and it takes years, though.

anon

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 6:29 pm
With regard to milk, I believe that children are likely to outgrow the allergy unless they have anaphylactic reactions...in which case they will probably not grow out of it.

anon

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 6:31 pm
Thsi site has some info

http://www.ifr.ac.uk/protall/infosheet.htm

shlumzmum

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 7:05 pm
anon wrote:
With regard to milk, I believe that children are likely to outgrow the allergy unless they have anaphylactic reactions...in which case they will probably not grow out of it.

what are anaphylactic reactions??

Ima'la

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 4:11 am
ds "just" gets red, itchy and very uncomfortable from (even a small amount of) dairy...and is not showing any sign of outgrowing it....whereas my cousin's baby who had an anaphylactic reaction to dairy as a baby outgrew it by the time she was two. I don't think severity of reaction has anything to do with chances of outgrowing it. (Not based on only these two anecdotal examples.)

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 4:58 am
My dh was allergic to so many things as a child. He was allergic to milk and milk products into his late teens - I was the first person he had ice cream with Smile. So he did grow out of dairy, and when he was younger he was also allergic to eggs and wheat (I think) but grew out of those early. He is however still allergic to ALL nuts, peanuts, coconut, and seeds - sesame. And those he carries an epi pen for.

Anaphylactic reactions are the throat closing up, I think others as well.

Dh was in a coma in Israel several years ago b/c someone didn't wash a bowl properly.

Ima'la

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 5:10 am
mimi, dh was allergic to milk as a child and grew out of it as a teen?!?! that gives me hope for ds!!!

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 7:04 am
Yup, I don't know how common it is, as my cousin is allergic to milk and always has been. But dh was very allergic to milk and all milk products. Now, he eats all milk products but never developed a taste for milk. Same for eggs, he now can eat products with eggs (where as a child he couldn't) but he still won't eat an egg, b/c he never developed a taste for them - he thinks they're disgusting.

So g-d willing, your ds will grow out of it as well.

Ima'la

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 8:08 am
Amen!

Btw, regarding what we said above about relationship to the severity of the allergy - I feel like all the stories I've heard of people outgrowing allergies were of people who did have anaphylactic reactions. Maybe those stories are just more interesting.

anon

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 10:44 am
I got my information based on the link that I posted above. I can't speak for the reliability of that website, but you can check it out.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 10:53 am
Well dh, didn't have anaphylactic responses to dairy and eggs, he just threw up everything he ate. Nuts and seeds, he has ana. response and that he has not outgrown.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 12:16 pm
I always had anaphylactic reactions to dairy and I never grew out of the allergy.

shlumzmum

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 1:39 pm
ds doesnt get any skin reactions or throat closure. he starts wheezing and can go on for days with nebulizer treatments. he usually get steroids when the reaction is very bad. I B"H never had to get an epi-pen, only benadryl which I always carry on me.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:14 pm
I thought maybe my son could out grow his allergy to dairy but I guess it wll be in a long time. He is ana to dairy and strawberries and has an epi pen.

Classicookie

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 5:11 pm
as a kid I had a lot of food allergies and through the years I outgrow one by one by 12-13 I had no more allergies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics