Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is playdough kosher?

Yael

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 11:27 am
my kids like to put it in my pots and dishes.
is there any problem with this?

roza

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 11:39 am
I don't know about the kosher status of playdough, there are different brands and so on. In Passover book- it says it's chometz, it does not say that it's treif.
do they cook it or otherwise heat it? if everything was cold, you just wash your pots or dishes with NOT hot water and soap.

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 11:47 am
I bought my kids a set of kiddy dishes with plates/cups/silverware from the toy store - I think I paid $5.00 for a big bag - and they play with it for hours. You could try that and then you wouldn't have to worry about finding playdough in your soup.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 12:25 pm
Rozas right if it's cold it's less of a problem if one at all. If u'r really worried make u'r own, though I'm sure thats not u'r top priority now. But is really simple fun and cheap.

basmalkah

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 12:36 pm
Why don't you make your own playdough? That way you know exactly what went inside! This is a great recipe that I used in my classroom (just make sure to wear gloves when mixing it together w/ the food coloring).

Playdough added 3-12-98 Original Author Unknown
Need: 2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 cup salt, 1 1/2 - 2 cups boiling water, 3 - 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil, Food coloring

Add oil and food coloring to boiling water. Combine remaining ingredients, and mix well. As you knead it, the dough will get smoother. Store in airtight container.

chanab

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 1:13 pm
playdough would have to be made with a kosher brand of cream of tartar bc/ it is a by-product of wine.

Yael

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 1:13 pm
I did actually just buy him a set of play dishes and cookie cutters,etc. but they still insist on using a big pot for "making soup",
not as if they ask me either. Confused
I have a little pile of dishes now that need to be washed out from playdough, as if I dont have enough dishes to wash as it is!!!

queen

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 1:33 pm
Yael wrote:
as if I dont have enough dishes to wash as it is!!!

I hope you can use paper plates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
however, for some reason I don't think your kids will be tantalized by squishing the play dough into styrephome/paper goods! LOL!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions