Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Colitis in Children

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:50 am
My son has been experiencing diarrhea and stomach pain for a while now and the doctor suspects colitis. We are waiting for test results so it's still a tentative diagnosis, and we'll be seeing a gastro soon.

Anyone here have a child with colitis? Or know anything about colitis in children?

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 10:01 am
Please make sure he has a colonoscopy before diagnosis and treatment. Also, check out SCD. www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info and www.pecanbread.com It's extremely effective-speaking from experience.

yogabird

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 10:19 am
Colitis just means inflammation of the colon. Do they have a clue why his colon is inflamed? Autoimmune? Allergic? Infection?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:04 pm
Thank you for your responses. I believe it is allergic as we've been managing to keep it mostly under control by avoiding certain foods. I do wonder how he suddenly became allergic.

I'm also wondering, if he's keeping away from trigger foods, would that impact the diagnosis?

yogabird

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:15 pm
Of course. If you find out what he's allergic to and stay away, his gut should heal. Of course finding out can be tough and a lot of trial and error. It can also be intolerance-mediated, meaning not a real allergic reaction but something in the food irritating the gut in a non allergic way, think celiac or lactose intolerance.

Has he had a colonoscopy with biopsies?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:26 pm
yogabird wrote:
Of course. If you find out what he's allergic to and stay away, his gut should heal. Of course finding out can be tough and a lot of trial and error. It can also be intolerance-mediated, meaning not a real allergic reaction but something in the food irritating the gut in a non allergic way, think celiac or lactose intolerance.

Has he had a colonoscopy with biopsies?

Nothing invasive yet. Yes, I did mean an intolerance rather than an actual allergy.
If he's staying away from trigger foods, will the endoscopy or colonoscopy come up as normal?

Also, will he always need to keep away from the trigger foods even after his gut heals?

yogabird

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:30 pm
If he's still having symptoms I think it's fair to say his gut hasn't healed, but these things are far from a perfect science.

I think SCD or GAPS claims to cure intolerances. I don't have personal experience with it.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
Nothing invasive yet. Yes, I did mean an intolerance rather than an actual allergy.
If he's staying away from trigger foods, will the endoscopy or colonoscopy come up as normal?

Also, will he always need to keep away from the trigger foods even after his gut heals?

Yes if he's staying away from trigger foods the results may look normal.
When we were testing for celiac we were specifically told not to avoid gluten until after the testing or we wouldn't get the results that would be necessary for knowing how to lead life for dc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics