Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Sleeping in the Succah.
1  2  3  4  Next

Who sleeps in the Succah??
Just D.H.  
 40%  [ 8 ]
D.H. and you  
 10%  [ 2 ]
D.H. and boys  
 35%  [ 7 ]
The whole familly  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:43 am
Dh sleeps in the succah and so do my boys. My father does not. how about you? some don't for safety reasons....

amother

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:49 am
My father has his own succah off of his bedroom that he sleeps in. When we got married and my husband wanted to sleep in the succah my decided to buy another succah off of a small porch and so my husband has his own sleeping succah. Then my brother decided that he wanted to sleep in the succah too, so I couldn't sleep there. Now anyways I wouldn't sleep there bec. what will I do with my kids.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 10:06 am
succah campout ... sounds FUN !!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:16 am
I know few men who sleep in the Sukkah, French weather....

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:17 am
oh and I don't know any woman who sleeps in the sukkah

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:21 am
By us, no one. Lub. doesn't sleep in the sukkah.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:41 am
chocolate moose wrote:
By us, no one. Lub. doesn't sleep in the sukkah.

Quote:
שולחן ערוך, אורח חיים, סימן תרלט, ב
אוכלים ושותים וישנים בסוכה כל ז' בין ביום ובין בלילה אפילו שינת ארעי

Shulchan Aruch, Orach Hayyim, 639:2
One eats and drinks and sleeps in the sukka all 7 days, whether by day or night, even temporary sleep (eg a nap)

Ima'la

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:08 pm
Does anyone know of any women who sleep in the sukkah? I mean with DH (when no one else is there, obviously) - not as a feminist thing.

drumjj

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:12 pm
why the annoymous post. I also heard that lub dont sleep in the succa and its something I think from one of the past rebbes as far as I know I can get the reason and post it later.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:18 pm
lubavich probably doesnt sleep in the sukkah because it was freezing in Russia...

My dh sleeps in the succah on our porch. I built the porch specifically for this reason - otherwise he'd sleep in his father's sukkah and leave me home alone at night!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:21 pm
drumjj wrote:
why the annoymous post.

It's not anonymous. It's the heilige Bais Yosef (Rabbi Yosef Karo). He was just scared of getting bashed here.

drumjj

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:33 pm
believe me there is def a proper reason for this when my husband gets home ill ask him

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:55 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
lubavich probably doesnt sleep in the sukkah because it was freezing in Russia...

Haha. It has to do with the Shechina al pi Chassidus! Makifin debina, IIRC.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:59 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Haha. It has to do with the Shechina al pi Chassidus! Makifin debina, IIRC.

Ask any lubavitcher. WE DON'T sleep in the sukkah. Our rebbe gave spiritual reasons as too why we don't sleep in the sukkah. We also don't decorate the sukkah either. If it was just because it was cold in russia then we would do it now that we most of us live in warmer climates. Please don't make fun of our minhag.

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:15 pm
Quote:
It has to do with the Shechina al pi Chassidus! Makifin debina, IIRC.

That's right.
Ashreinu Ma Tov Chelkeinu that we have our beautiful minhagim.

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:27 pm
Belzer chassidim also don't sleep in the sukka, but my dh says it's his understanding that it was because it was so cold in "der heim".

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:28 pm
Well, I end up sleeping in the Succah if the dvar Torah during the meal is really boring Wink

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:35 pm
Quote:
Belzer chassidim also don't sleep in the sukka, but my dh says it's his understanding that it was because it was so cold in "der heim".

It was probably cold all over back then, not just in Russia, but perhaps that's why people have attached this to Lubavitch too.

Lubavitch doesn't drink one drop of water outside the sukkah, and eats there in the pouring rain. To say that we don't sleep there because it was too cold doesn't fit the picture of Lubavitch. The Rebbe asked us to be careful in our specific minhagim and said that the earlier Rebbeim were moser nefesh for our minhagim. Not something to discard so easily.

chocolate moose has it right, the rumors and accusations you hear about this towards Chabad is pure ignorance and sinas chinam.

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:38 pm
I have to say that I've been in several Chabad Houses over the course of the yearly celebrations, and nothing but NOTHING seems to cause more machlochis between Chabad and others (minhag-wise) than the issue of sleeping in the Succa... I've seen grown men yelling at each other at the top of their lungs over this (I think a bottle flew once...)

I wonder why that it is? Is it because non-Chabadniks feel they are moser nefesh to sleep in the Succa and we feel it is mesirus nefesh not to?

stem

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 3:42 pm
I read somewhere that though Chabad has a minhag not to sleep in the sukka, the Lub. Rebbe was careful to not sleep any more than short catnaps (20 minutes) the entire Sukkos in order not to transgress the halacha that you're not supposed to sleep outside the sukka.
I don't have a source for this, I just remember reading it somewhere.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics