Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Cutting hair very short

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:41 pm
I have very long, very thick hair. I love my hair and always have, and I'm sad that I have to cover it now that I'm married, but that's an issue for another time... I hardly ever wear my sheitel because it's uncomfortable to bundle up my hair underneath it. I think if I cut my hair very short then I would feel more comfortable in my sheitel. Can anyone with very short hair please tell me if this is worth it? I know it'll grow back if I can't stand it short, but I also don't want to make myself more miserable about this while I wait... If I wear a non-slip headband (wig grip) would that be enough instead of a ponytail if my hair is too short for a pony? Or do you recommend keeping it long enough to put in a pony? Thanks.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:47 pm
I find a wigrip is just fine for wearing a wig over short hair.

You may need to tighten the cap a little if it is sized to cover a lot of hair. Wigs typically are somewhat adjustable, so this shouldn't be a problem.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:56 pm
If your sheitel isn't comfortable over your thick, long hair, perhaps the cap is too small. Maybe try on a sheitel with a bigger cap to see if it fits better.

That being said, I cut my hair very very short after a few years of marriage and don't regret it. It's much more comfortable for me. And cooler. I really like the look. Added bonus, mikvah preps is easier. But while I liked my long hair, I didn't love it.

I don't use a wig grip.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:10 pm
I don't think it's the cap that's the problem. I don't like the clunky feel of ponytails underneath and not being able to sit back in the car (or wherever) because of the bumps. If I just lay the sheitel over my hair (with my hair down) without putting it up, then it's comfortable and feels lighter and freer. That's why I want to try short hair.

When I was single I kept my hair very long, and I had a cute cut to it, and I blowdried it. Now it's all one length and I definitely don't blow dry it, ever. It kind of feels like what's the point of keeping it long when I never do anything with it, the only one who sees it it my husband and he doesn't care about the length. Also having more of it (hair) is just more of it to hide, more of it to manage, wash, etc. It's a lot of work for not a lot of benefit at this point. I don't even think it looks pretty anymore because I don't do anything with it. Sad Maybe I could get a very short haircut that's still cute? Then it would be less work to blow dry it and style it sometimes? Any ideas of short, cute styles that easily fit under a sheitel (no flyaways that won't fit under)?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:31 pm
I might in the same boat!! I was thinking abt a cut like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini.....3.jpg

But I'm not sure how that will work under a sheitel or tichel (will it make the top pop up? Will I be able to keep the hair in place with a velvet band?)

Following this thread!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:39 pm
My hair was very long before I got married. I started getting headaches and had a pony bump under my sheitel. I cut my hair and I'm quite pleased.
The front of my hair (what you would put in a half-pony) is up in a clip.
DH cuts the back of my hair using the same clippers he uses for DSs.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:25 pm
I'm actually thinking a little longer on top might be good because it will hold the comb/clips of a sheitel better. That's a cute style you linked to. I'm not sure if I'm daring enough to make it that short just yet. Good luck if you try it!

esther11

Post Sat, Dec 23 2017, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
I might in the same boat!! I was thinking abt a cut like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini.....3.jpg

But I'm not sure how that will work under a sheitel or tichel (will it make the top pop up? Will I be able to keep the hair in place with a velvet band?)

Following this thread!

Did you end up cutting your hair short? I’m considerinng cutting my wavy hair into a similar style and I was wondering if it would work under a Sheitel

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Dec 23 2017, 8:47 pm
Yes!!!

I got a really cute, short haircut that I loved! It worked great under a sheitel, tichel, or whatever else. I used a wig grip with a wig cap under everything else. I LOVE not having to use ponytails and therefore avoiding “the bump.” Now my hair grew out a bit and doesn’t fit as nicely but still works with a wig grip and cap. I would like to get it cut again. It was the first time since I got married that I actually loved my haircut and even though I was covering my hair fully, it still boosted my self image.

I definitely recommend it!

esther11

Post Sat, Dec 23 2017, 8:49 pm
Did you end up going with longer on top? That’s what I’m looking for and if it worked for you, I may just do it!

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 23 2017, 8:52 pm
My hair is very thick. Almost ridiculously so. Another problem I had is that when my hair was longer, I would shed a lot and it made getting hair off my back for Mikvah nearly impossible. Based on both those things, I buzz my hair regularly. The first time I cut my hair, I didn’t realize that my hair actually grows up, so I have to keep it fairly short if I want my snoods and tichels to look normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics