Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What was this thing that helped the most w/ dsylexia?

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 11:28 pm
If you have a child or know a child w/ dyslexia please share the program or learning method that was most effective in promoting fluent reading and legible handwriting. Thanks!!!

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 11:39 pm
A Wilson-certified tutor, twice a week min. Ideally if at least once a week in school. Hatzlocha!

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
A Wilson-certified tutor, twice a week min. Ideally if at least once a week in school. Hatzlocha!

My child is getting Wilson tutoring in a group setting (2-3 people in a group) 4 days a wk. Do you think that would be effective since it's not 1 on 1?

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
My child is getting Wilson tutoring in a group setting (2-3 people in a group) 4 days a wk. Do you think that would be effective since it's not 1 on 1?

I can only speak from my own experience, which was 1:1.

To answer your question as to whether Wilson can still be effective if not 1:1, I'd ask:

How long has he been getting the Wilson group tutoring?

Do you see improvement in your child's reading? Is the improvement measurable? The tutor is supposed to constantly monitor progress, evaluate, do tests, and should be able to tell you what new progress has been made from week to week.

What has his overall improvement been since he started the tutoring?

How much longer, according to the therapist, does he need of tutoring until he'll be on grade level? (With ds it was 10 months, or one school year.)

Hth.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:19 am
A group of 2-3 using Wilson should be very effective, if the kids are on about the same wavelength and the teacher knows what s/he's doing. It's a very structured program so unless there's a specific difficulty that comes up, Wilson is considered a great method for group remediation.

The questions posed by Orange amother above are a good way to judge how it's going.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 4:03 am
I've seen studies done with tinted glasses that were amazing. They do wonders for kids with Autism, too. It helps the brain focus and filter out things that are distracting, like flickering flourescent lights.

You need to find an opthamologist who specializes, and insurance won't cover it, but the results have been very promising.

I guess you'd have to do a Google search to find someone in your area. I don't know how many doctors there are who do this. The study I saw was done in the UK.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:18 am
My daughter went to BY Ohr Halimud - school for girls with dyslexia that uses Orton Guillingham approach. B'H it took her 4 years, but she is now back to regular BY and reads!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics