Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Jobs Associated with Dishonesty
1  2  3  Next

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:49 am
I'm asking out of curiosity. In a number of threads posters wrote about certain fields of work that are more difficult to remain on the straight and narrow. I can't figure out what those are as I always (naively) assumed that it's up to the individual person's level of ethics and morals. Which jobs could "make" someone less honest?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:51 am
Where I live, Nursing Homes and Home Health Agencies are full of fraud and dishonesty. Jewish owned or not.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:53 am
When you ask what someone does for a living and the answer isn't crystal clear - as in, owns a widget factory, works for ABC Corp as VP of marketing, etc.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:54 am
Used car sales.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
When you ask what someone does for a living and the answer isn't crystal clear - as in, owns a widget factory, works for ABC Corp as VP of marketing, etc.

Why does this mean they're dishonest?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:55 am
I don't think this is going to be a constructive thread. And in deference to the wonderful lawyers I'm related to, I will not pass on the line that 98% of lawyers give the rest a bad name Twisted Evil

My immediate reaction to the thread title, which I will post here instead of the dedicated thread: Anything for someone who's devious enough.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:57 am
Anyone who works for Vandelay Industries Tongue Out

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:03 am
amother wrote:

That's an individual.

Posters were talking about specific fields, not one specific person's job title. That's what I'm wondering about.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Why does this mean they're dishonest?

It doesn't necessarily mean they are dishonest, but dishonest people are usually hard to pin down.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:21 am
The at home daycare/play group set up often tempts people to not report. Im on a fb group with them - its a teacher network page - and its shocking what they admit to doing. One friend in the group recently bought a home. She is on wic and takes tomchei shabbos - then she has no issue selling the food on fb. Why take it at all? I asked her! She laughed and said "who cares? They dont ask you to proove your income".

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:23 am
Binary options...

sleepybeauty

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:37 pm
Jobs in the government

simcha2

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
The at home daycare/play group set up often tempts people to not report. Im on a fb group with them - its a teacher network page - and its shocking what they admit to doing. One friend in the group recently bought a home. She is on wic and takes tomchei shabbos - then she has no issue selling the food on fb. Why take it at all? I asked her! She laughed and said "who cares? They dont ask you to proove your income".

That may be one of the worst things I have read on ima. I hope you don't eat in her home. If you can't trust someone bein adam l'adam how can you trust them bein adam l'makom?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:45 pm
Too many ppl live in a naive little bubble.
It's happening
It's happening everywhere.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:

I hope you are aware that tjos person is sick. A person with a healthy conscious will be embarrassed to take and sell. Come on!! And sadly, people abuse the system everywhere in every system.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:06 pm
simcha2 wrote:
That may be one of the worst things I have read on ima. I hope you don't eat in her home. If you can't trust someone bein adam l'adam how can you trust them bein adam l'makom?
We actually did - we were close. I stopped whenshe started the bragging.

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:16 pm
Counter-intuitively, industries where there is more than average regulation can make it tough to remain completely honest. In fact, virtually every industry has some area where laws are routinely flouted.

When the focus turns from providing a competitive good or service to meeting a slew of regulations from various entities, it's easy to lose the spirit of the law in the letter of the law. Little by little, the goal turns from doing the job well to doing the job well enough to meet regulations.

The problem, of course, is that "regulations" are typically designed to provide a minimum standard, not a desirable one.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:36 pm
Watch what you posts this could be an undercover operation.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:

Rolling Laughter Yea all the anon posters are feds.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:

So? I'm hoping people here have nothing to worry about.
I'm guessing that smaller businesses are more at risk of illegal practices, even unintentionally. While larger businesses certainly also do engage in unethical practices, I'm thinking they generally can afford to hire attorneys to ensure they are compliant and might be less likely to do things off the books because they have more to lose. Your local mom and pop shop that's not charging tax if you pay in cash is probably less concerned about federal agencies coming after them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics