Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Jobs Associated with Dishonesty
Previous  1  2  3  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone who works for Vandelay Industries Tongue Out
Thumbs Up
I'd ad unlicensed unregulated in home businesses and subsidies of Kramerica.

yamz

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 3:39 pm
Really? There are multiple opportunites for fraud, misrepresentation, dishonesty and theft in almost every industry.
Just off the top of my head:
- auto mechanics/plumbers/electricians - overcharging for parts, making unnecessary repairs, taking advantage of peoples' combined lack of knowledge and immediate needs in these areas (you need your car or toilet fixed now, you can't really shop around for the best price)
- doctors/dentists/therapists/homeopathic doctors/chiropractors, etc. - fraudulently billing insurance companies so patients will be covered for procedures that wouldn't really be covered, taking advantage of hypochondriacs, providing unnecessary treatments
- people who deal in futures and securities, like hedge fund managers, stockbrokers, financial advisers, - you know, insider trading and all that, but also ignoring fiduciary duties. (remember Enron?)
-restaurant owners - carry on a largely cash business so that it's easy to bury profits, and create "losses"
- accountants/bookkeepers - "cooking the books"
-aestheticians/salespeople of every stripe - overcharge for goods and services, sell people goods and services they don't need by convincing them they do need the services and placing tremendous pressure on people to purchase
- OT/PT/Speech Therapists - billing for days they haven't worked, grossly exaggerating clients' deficits so they will be approved for services even though they only slight delays/disabilities/issues and shouldn't really receive services, continuing to provide services even though client won't see significant improvements with further treatment.

I haven't even scratched the surface, but I think you get my point.

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
Watch what you posts this could be an undercover operation.
Yeah, I'm really tzedaka Yankel LOL

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 3:46 pm
yamz wrote:
Really? There are multiple opportunites for fraud, misrepresentation, dishonesty and theft in almost every industry.
Just off the top of my head:
- auto mechanics/plumbers/electricians - overcharging for parts, making unnecessary repairs, taking advantage of peoples' combined lack of knowledge and immediate needs in these areas (you need your car or toilet fixed now, you can't really shop around for the best price)
- doctors/dentists/therapists/homeopathic doctors/chiropractors, etc. - fraudulently billing insurance companies so patients will be covered for procedures that wouldn't really be covered, taking advantage of hypochondriacs, providing unnecessary treatments
- people who deal in futures and securities, like hedge fund managers, stockbrokers, financial advisers, - you know, insider trading and all that, but also ignoring fiduciary duties. (remember Enron?)
-restaurant owners - carry on a largely cash business so that it's easy to bury profits, and create "losses"
- accountants/bookkeepers - "cooking the books"
-aestheticians/salespeople of every stripe - overcharge for goods and services, sell people goods and services they don't need by convincing them they do need the services and placing tremendous pressure on people to purchase
- OT/PT/Speech Therapists - billing for days they haven't worked, grossly exaggerating clients' deficits so they will be approved for services even though they only slight delays/disabilities/issues and shouldn't really receive services, continuing to provide services even though client won't see significant improvements with further treatment.

I haven't even scratched the surface, but I think you get my point.

I agree with you! Each job can be practiced honestly or dishonestly. That's why I was surprised when I saw on two different threads the idea that certain jobs are harder to remain honest than others and that people wouldn't do shidduchim with parents who are in those fields.

So you didn't answer my question...

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 4:17 pm
pause wrote:
I agree with you! Each job can be practiced honestly or dishonestly. That's why I was surprised when I saw on two different threads the idea that certain jobs are harder to remain honest than others and that people wouldn't do shidduchim with parents who are in those fields.

So you didn't answer my question...

I'm not sure what you're really asking. Do you want a list of specific jobs? As you say, dishonesty can occur in virtually any job.

What I was referring to in the previous thread on shidduchim is that some fields are far more complex than others when it comes to the halachos involved. Likewise, some fields operate on such a thin profit margin that the temptation to cheat "just a little" is stronger.

Sure, there are dishonest people in every field or profession, but I know many people who deliberately avoid certain business situations (both for themselves and their children) because they believe them to be especially hazardous to their integrity.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 5:19 pm
Fox wrote:
I'm not sure what you're really asking. Do you want a list of specific jobs? As you say, dishonesty can occur in virtually any job.

What I was referring to in the previous thread on shidduchim is that some fields are far more complex than others when it comes to the halachos involved. Likewise, some fields operate on such a thin profit margin that the temptation to cheat "just a little" is stronger.

Sure, there are dishonest people in every field or profession, but I know many people who deliberately avoid certain business situations (both for themselves and their children) because they believe them to be especially hazardous to their integrity.

That's what she's asking. What situations?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 6:04 pm
My husband turned down a job opportunity several years ago in an industry mentioned earlier in this thread because he didn't want to be put in a position that would compromise his ethics.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 6:34 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Jobs in the government

why do u say that?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 6:37 pm
OTs/PTs/SLPs in nursing homes and long term care facilities. Many facilities won't keep a therapist if their "productivity" is not good and the only way to keep the company happy is to bill fraudulently. ( that's why I quit my job soon after beginning)

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 6:53 pm
Bookkeeping. I left a job after 9 years running a bookkeeping office when my boss wanted me to keep 2 sets of books.

Maya

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:19 pm
Real estate development. It's tempting to ignore zoning laws and building code when profits from doing so could be substantially increased.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:30 pm
It looks like any job has room for dishonesty. I run my own business. I can easily report less than what I earned. Who is tracking it? I can barely keep on top of it myself.

I used to work with a guy who'd show up at work at 9 but then disappear for an hour (seems like he went to daven shacharis).

At the same job, there was chassid who was so meticulous with time that he came early and never took a 15 minute lunch break if there weren't other people covering.

I'm actually really taken aback about so many people talking about therapists who lie about their hours. Somehow to me that is so much more blatantly dishonest than a lot of these examples.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:44 pm
One of my bil went to auto mechanic school so he can open his own business some day and now is apprentice working. His boss tells customers if they pay cash he will take off the taxes charge to them. My fil says for the customer it's ok because paying the taxes is the responsibilities of the boss, but he made my bil stop apprentice there in case the business gets trouble.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:48 pm
Maya wrote:
Real estate development. It's tempting to ignore zoning laws and building code when profits from doing so could be substantially increased.

I believe a Lkwd. building inspector was arrested for fraud some time back and is now serving time. He passed substandard buildings, some were never inspected.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
One of my bil went to auto mechanic school so he can open his own business some day and now is apprentice working. His boss tells customers if they pay cash he will take off the taxes charge to them. My fil says for the customer it's ok because paying the taxes is the responsibilities of the boss, but he made my bil stop apprentice there in case the business gets trouble.

Our Indian auto-mechanic does the same. Only mentioning his nationality because the news articles all see the relevance of mentioning the "Orthodox Jewish" detail.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:
Our Indian auto-mechanic does the same. Only mentioning his nationality because the news articles all see the relevance of mentioning the "Orthodox Jewish" detail.

Absolutely.

I was in Venice and almost every tourist type of Shoppe offered discounts to those who paid in cash.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Where I live, Nursing Homes and Home Health Agencies are full of fraud and dishonesty. Jewish owned or not.

Oy vey. My husband owns nursing homes. We live in Lakewood. Does everyone think we're fraudsters? shock (We're not.)

sleepybeauty

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
why do u say that?

Bribes

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:09 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Bribes

You do realize that 99% of government jobs are just behind the scenes desk jobs. We have no actual power to do anything.

sleepybeauty

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
You do realize that 99% of government jobs are just behind the scenes desk jobs. We have no actual power to do anything.

My apologies, I'm talking about the people higher up in office. Power corrupts people.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics