Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Jobs Associated with Dishonesty
Previous  1  2  3

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:16 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Bribes

Dang, twenty six years and not a single bribe. I spent half as a union shop steward and never heard of a single bribe.

What did I miss out on?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 3:11 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Dang, twenty six years and not a single bribe. I spent half as a union shop steward and never heard of a single bribe.

What did I miss out on?

My father too. He's had his job for 25 years-ish, I wouldn't be able figure out where a bribe could fit in.
(Department of Ecology, PIO)

invisiblecircus

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 3:46 am
In terms of financial dishonesty, I guess jobs where a service or product is being sold and could potentially be sold for a lower price "off the books" without tax being declared.

Other dishonesty, many kind of sales where the salesman will tell you all kinds of stories to persuade you to buy something "I've got one of these myself") etc. We've been told all kind of lies by estate agents, some of the stories have been ridiculous ("Another couple wants to buy this apartment. They're coming in tomorrow at noon to make the offer and sign all the paperwork, but if you come at 10am, you could have all the paperwork signed before they get here!")

pause

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:26 am
Fox wrote:
I'm not sure what you're really asking. Do you want a list of specific jobs? As you say, dishonesty can occur in virtually any job.

What I was referring to in the previous thread on shidduchim is that some fields are far more complex than others when it comes to the halachos involved. Likewise, some fields operate on such a thin profit margin that the temptation to cheat "just a little" is stronger.

Sure, there are dishonest people in every field or profession, but I know many people who deliberately avoid certain business situations
(both for themselves and their children) because they believe them to be especially hazardous to their integrity.

Way to go with beating around the bush. LOL You pretty much summed up what I'm asking in three different ways.

Wanna answer or not?

pause

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:27 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My husband turned down a job opportunity several years ago in an industry mentioned earlier in this thread because he didn't want to be put in a position that would compromise his ethics.

I'm curious which one.

Fox

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 10:26 am
pause wrote:
Way to go with beating around the bush. LOL You pretty much summed up what I'm asking in three different ways.

Wanna answer or not?

Actually, no.

You're insisting on a laundry list that would border on loshon hora and could cause pain or discomfort for the many people who work in those fields and do their best to earn a kosher parnossah despite the pressures or temptations.

You've received characteristics and a handful of possible examples. I'm sure you can use those to deduce the risks of any particular field. Given the hatefulness that has quickly risen to the surface on other threads, I feel no need to pour additional gasoline on the fires.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 10:28 am
Fox wrote:
Actually, no.

You're insisting on a laundry list that would border on loshon hora and could cause pain or discomfort for the many people who work in those fields and do their best to earn a kosher parnossah despite the pressures or temptations.

You've received characteristics and a handful of possible examples. I'm sure you can use those to deduce the risks of any particular field. Given the hatefulness that has quickly risen to the surface on other threads, I feel no need to pour additional gasoline on the fires.

Applause Hooray Applause
Because liking's not enough.
Not that I think OP is malicious but ITA with Fox.

pause

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:06 am
Fox wrote:
Actually, no.

No problem. I hear you. You could have just said that in the first place.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 5:27 pm
pause wrote:
I'm curious which one.

You can remain curious Smile I don't want to CH"V cast aspersions on anyone who works in that profession. He wasn't even thinking that the job offer was from someone who would ask him to do unethical things...but you never know who you will work with down the line and if the industry is such that it's not unheard of for unethical behavior to take place, he didn't want to be put in such a position.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics