Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Saw woman take bags of clothes from donation truck

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 11:13 pm
A few days ago, I saw a woman stick a pole into the same place you put the clothing in, in a small truck parked near ocean parkway and ave n, and she took out bags of clothing. The woman didn't look Jewish.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 11:14 pm
If she's reduced to stealing used clothing, let her be.

Stars

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 11:23 pm
Poor her Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 4:49 am
Thank Hashem that you are not in her situation.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:35 am
Most clothing collections are shams and the organizations sell the clothes by the pound for pennies. So I'd be happy the clothes were going to actually be worn by someone who needs and wants them.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
Most clothing collections are shams and the organizations sell the clothes by the pound for pennies. So I'd be happy the clothes were going to actually be worn by someone who needs and wants them.

shock that must be cultural... The Jewish orgs I know give for free.

cm

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:44 am
ra_mom wrote:

I'm not familiar with this particular collection, but yes, many charities sell old clothing as a source of revenue for whatever it is that they do. Not sure how that is a "sham," unless they pretend to distribute clothing to the needy. Some organizations, such as Goodwill, operate thrift stores, but it is rare indeed for donations of (often stained, worn out) hand-me-downs to be passed directly to needy people.

Organizations that directly serve people in need would rather have cash donations that they can turn into gift cards for places like Walmart, so recipients can choose their own brand-new clothing at a low price, allowing them to maintain some dignity.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:56 pm
There are good organizations but there are those with deceptive names which actually sell the clothing or other items they collect. If you are getting stuff for free, anything you make is profit.

Also even with valid charitable organizations, there are some untrustworthy individuals who go through the donations and take anything of value - designer clothing or good children's clothing which have a good market. They undervalue it and buy it for cheap.

Regarding clothing - so long as it is in good wearable condition - I give to organizations that don't sell the items but give them directly to the people they are helping. In Los Angeles, for example, there is a woman's shelter for battered women that is privately run and the women being helped there can really use donated clothing for themselves and their children as well as items because many of them fled in the night with nothing on their back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries