Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Mommy, I don't like healthy!
1  2  Next

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:20 am
My oldest ds who is 6.5 won't eat healthy food. He tells me he doesn't like the taste. If I make something healthy he won't eat. He'd rather go to bed hungry then eat healthy. I am up in arms because my other two eat perfectly healthy and that's how I cook.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:39 am
my youngest almost 5, refuses to eat healthy also...

His older sibs love salad...etc...it's quite funny... I have found that there are things he will eat...like cut cucumbers, carrots...etc..

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 10:14 am
Is there any middle road?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:18 pm
Healthy meaning salads and all, or bio food? Bio food often tastes weird.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 5:02 pm
I think as long as the food isn't fried, lots of mayo or sugar, it shouldn't be too "healthy" for him. If veggies are his prob, I have 1 who loves fresh salad, 1 who only eats cucumbers & the 3rd won't touch any. Don't worry too much.

I read in a parents magazine that Jerry Seinfeld's wife Jessica made a cookbook showing how to stick healthy things into her kids food without them knowing. See if you can get ideas from there.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 5:05 pm
I think if you serve a variety of healthy foods but don't make a big deal of it, you'd be better off.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 5:24 pm
my mother used to add tofu to pancake mix and not tell us. you can't taste it at all. relax, and try to sneak in what you can. don't tell him to eat anything cause it's good for him, tell him it's yummy. (this won't get him to eat right away, but it'll take away the focus on healthy.) there are fun things to get him to eat, like a fruit yogurt smoothie (good breakfast, and you can add granola) or broccoli forests, potato volcanoes, just be creative. your other kids will like these too.

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:06 pm
Momof3, I read about that recipe book that Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote. The problem is ds is too smart for that trick. He will smell his food and or take a small bite to determine what it is. If he isn't sure what it is he will ask me and decide if he wants it. WHen ds was a baby he was just the opposite. He ate everything and anything in site. Now he's just the opposite. If it's not bread, pasta, cheese, or meat (which he requests often) he won't touch it! When I took him to the doctor he was in the 97th percentile for weight and height so the doctor said not to worry. The problem is that I am worried he will never form good habits because he won't touch healthy food.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:40 pm
http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/.....jhtml

I think I will get this recipe book...sounds amazing!

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:54 pm
I have a six year old who literally will not touch anything that grows (except maybe potatoes, olives and pickles), his 3 1/2 year old brother is following his example. I don't say anything to them about it!

My eldest son never ate fish, meat or vegetables, only carbos and milk products. I never made him eat anything that he didn't choose and now at 14 he eats almost anything.

You are lucky that your son tastes things before he decides whether to eat or not, I would encourage him for tasting food. Don't emphasize "healthy" or not and allow him to eat the things he likes. Proteins (cheese, meat) are very important for health and for a child's growth.

One vegetable dish that all my children enjoy is any creamed vegetable soup where the vegetables are no longer recognizable, in particular, "orange soup" (from orange squash and the like). Also, clear soup from cooked vegetables contains most of the vitamins from the vegetables.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 11:12 am
I have been thinking about this for a long time, having gone through fatter and thinner phases with my kids and myself.

LubCoralSprings, you can't change a person's taste. If he likes meat and cheese (not tog. of course), you can't really change that - you can get low fat cheese, yu can broil meats, etc - in other words, thinned down versions of old favorites.

I can tell you gthat I had a really really fat baby/toddler, so much so that I was told by the dr to get all crackers, cookies out of the house.

That child thinned down, BH...and became a teenager at the lowest percentile on the chart for her height and weight. Yours is 97 out of a 100? Mine is 1 !!! Out of 100 kids, she is the thinnest! Theoretically she could eat anything she wanted.

However, she has naturally very high cholesterol, so she has to give up saturated fat for her health - and here are plenty of alternatives - turkey hot dogs instead of beef, low fat cheese instead of regular, etc.

Remember that regular exercise is healthy and important, too, not just what you eat.

Mint Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 2:15 pm
my son 6 is a smeller also. I have found if I make things insideof a thin whole wheat dough or pasta it can pass the test. ground up chicken and brocoli can fit nicely inside a stuffed shell. also the womnton wrappers are good. I make homesons made egg rolls and fry them in pan. stuff with scrambled egg ehits and shredded carrots. these things I have found pass my sons "smell test"

lubcoralsprings

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 4:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I have been thinking about this for a long time, having gone through fatter and thinner phases with my kids and myself.

LubCoralSprings, you can't change a person's taste. If he likes meat and cheese (not tog. of course), you can't really change that - you can get low fat cheese, yu can broil meats, etc - in other words, thinned down versions of old favorites.

I can tell you gthat I had a really really fat baby/toddler, so much so that I was told by the dr to get all crackers, cookies out of the house.

That child thinned down, BH...and became a teenager at the lowest percentile on the chart for her height and weight. Yours is 97 out of a 100? Mine is 1 !!! Out of 100 kids, she is the thinnest! Theoretically she could eat anything she wanted.

However, she has naturally very high cholesterol, so she has to give up saturated fat for her health - and here are plenty of alternatives - turkey hot dogs instead of beef, low fat cheese instead of regular, etc.

Remember that regular exercise is healthy and important, too, not just what you eat.

Chocomoose, I am in no way worried about his WEIGHT!! I don't worry about the weight of my children because they are WAY TOO YOUNG FOR THAT. My primary concern is that he establish healthy eating habits!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 4:45 pm
My daughter was a baby, too fat to crawl, and the dr told us to watch her weight.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 4:48 pm
But that's not lubcoralspring's issue. Confused

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 5:30 pm
Out of 100 kids, only three are "bigger"....what's going to be her wake up call?

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 5:41 pm
life has enough of a variety of foods ... he'll eventually find stuff amicable to his palate ... kids are always more picky ...

amother

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 5:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Out of 100 kids, only three are "bigger"....what's going to be her wake up call?

I think you are misunderstanding this poster! She is talking about healthy eating habits not her child's weight. Maybe you should reread the thread so you can understand the type of advice the poster is looking for? Wink

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding this poster! She is talking about healthy eating habits not her child's weight.

If you're careful about the pennies, the dollars take care of themselves.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:56 am
I've known the OP since her son was 2. He was at that point a chubby toddler who ate so much. Now, he has grown into a nice healthy looking kid. He is the same height as my DS who is a year older, so even though he's in the 97th pecentile, he is by no means chubby or fat. I can see why Lub isn't worried about his weight, but rather with his eating habits. CM, have you seen him recently, like I have? You would see he looks just fine. Believe me, DH has overweight siblings so I would recognize if Lub's son was heading that way & I would tell her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children