Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Kosher, Vegetarian Restaurant in NYC

debsey

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:44 am
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for either completely vegetarian, or really good veggie options. Hechsher needs to be OU or Kof-K or Star-K. Location not so important, as long as it's in Manhattan.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:49 am
debsey wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for either completely vegetarian, or really good veggie options. Hechsher needs to be OU or Kof-K or Star-K. Location not so important, as long as it's in Manhattan.

Wouldn't any dairy restaurant be vegetarian (but not vegan). Try Noi Due or Va Bene.

Or if you're willing to venture into the wilds of Riverdale, and to accept a very casual atmosphere, Moss Cafe.

Anon for location.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:19 am
Here's a list of almost every kosher place in NYC, along with its hashgacha, location, etc. While there are a number of vegan options, unfortunately you'll see that almost all of them are under non-mainstream hashgachos.

http://rabbisitorsky.com/kosher1.html

debsey

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:51 am
doctorima wrote:
Here's a list of almost every kosher place in NYC, along with its hashgacha, location, etc. While there are a number of vegan options, unfortunately you'll see that almost all of them are under non-mainstream hashgachos.

http://rabbisitorsky.com/kosher1.html

Thanks. Yeah, who knew that my biggest professional challenge would be finding resteraunts to hold business lunches and dinners? I anticipated a lot of challenges, but not that.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:55 am
I'm sure that the traditional go-to business lunch places in the city such as Prime Grill, Reserve Cut, Abigael's, Prime at the Bentley, or Mike's would be happy to accommodate and work with you to provide vegan dining options. It can't be the first time this has come up. Otherwise, you can try milchig places to see what they can offer, but in general, they're not as classy - Va Bene is probably your best bet.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:27 am
debsey wrote:

Buddah Boddai! There are two: one in Queens, one in Manhattan. I no longer live in the NYC area and am salivating with sadness here that I can't go to BB.

However, I suspect you will not find their Hechsher satisfactory but I did want to recommend them. The NYC one is CupK under the supervision of Rabbi Israel Mayer Steinberg. I am not certain if this is the same Hechsher in Flushing? I can't remember the Flushing Hechsher. However, I do know that I have eaten at the Flushing one in the past and the clientele seemed to be frum. However, this was about a decade ago. If anyone knows which Hechsher the Flushing one is under, I would be interested.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:32 am
As discussed in another thread posted by OP, Rabbi Steinberg is the head of the Cup-K hashgacha. While he has Orthodox smicha, his supervision allows restaurants to be open on Shabbos and is not universally accepted, which is why OP specified here that she only wants a place with a nationally-recognized supervision.

debsey

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
Buddah Boddai! There are two: one in Queens, one in Manhattan. I no longer live in the NYC area and am salivating with sadness here that I can't go to BB.

However, I suspect you will not find their Hechsher satisfactory but I did want to recommend them. The NYC one is CupK under the supervision of Rabbi Israel Mayer Steinberg. I am not certain if this is the same Hechsher in Flushing? I can't remember the Flushing Hechsher. However, I do know that I have eaten at the Flushing one in the past and the clientele seemed to be frum. However, this was about a decade ago. If anyone knows which Hechsher the Flushing one is under, I would be interested.

The client actually suggested it, and I got really excited from their website (there was a kosher Indian restaurant near lakewood for a while and I loved the food) but the hashgacha isn't going to work for me. I think I'm going to try to sell them on an "authentic Middle Eastern experience" and maybe do one of the nicer Moroccan or Schwarma places, which tend to have a lot of veggie options.

I find that the dairy places are a bit of a disappointment because you pay a ton for not much food, and the client doesn't feel like you really went all out. I actually had one of my best client meetings in a super downscale place - Murray's Falafel (near Beth Israel) - because one of the clients had fond memories of his summer on a kibbutz and he felt that the falafel and the nana and the whole atmosphere was authentically Israeli. So I might go for that vibe instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries