Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Niagara Falls beginning of Dec.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 4:31 pm
Is this a good time to go? Is anything open? Attractions? Kosher food?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 4:56 pm
No. It will be very cold

Go in the summer

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:28 pm
We have vacation time specifically then.... and I've always wanted to go back to the falls.

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:35 pm
I think many/most of the attractions are open all the time, and they rarely turn off the Falls (although that does happen every 50 years or so). The kosher restaurant is only open during the summer. Not sure about the Chabad situation (but I think they are really geared toward Shabbos meals, if anything- not all week). You can get food in Buffalo...

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:57 pm
Most attractions are open from late May-November. It's very cold & not interesting in the winter.

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 6:08 pm
We went once around Thanksgiving time. It's not the ideal time to go, but we definitely had a nice time. Hotel rates were a lot cheaper than in the summer, and there are no lines for anything. The kosher restaurants are closed, but most if not all of the Falls-related activities (which is the real reason you're going) are still open. It can be cold though. If that's what works for your schedule, by all means go. Just have realistic expectations, and you'll have a great trip.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 6:49 pm
I live close by and have been there in the winter. It’s fairly dreary and very cold. Unless you are planning to go to the indoor water park, hold off until nicer weather IMHO.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:12 pm
We've been there in december. It goes down to below zero degrees. It's freezing!! Not an ideal temperature for a vacation, imo.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:27 am
We went about 20 years ago in early Dec. so I have no idea what things are like now. It was marvelous! I think Maid of the Mist was still open. There was also a beautiful indoor gardens that was just so lovely. And we went to the top of the tower (can't remember what the building's called). We eschewed the touristy kitsch but if you like it, like Ripley's, it's actually quite fun. There's sunrise and sunset, if you're lucky with the weather. There are restaurants (search our member Andrea Levy). So it might work.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:01 am
PinkFridge wrote:
We went about 20 years ago in early Dec. so I have no idea what things are like now. It was marvelous! I think Maid of the Mist was still open. There was also a beautiful indoor gardens that was just so lovely. And we went to the top of the tower (can't remember what the building's called). We eschewed the touristy kitsch but if you like it, like Ripley's, it's actually quite fun. There's sunrise and sunset, if you're lucky with the weather. There are restaurants (search our member Andrea Levy). So it might work.

We were also there circa that era. Maid of the Mist was closed; it closes for the season in early November. But we were lucky, and it was actually quite warm.

If you go, check out the butterfly conservatory.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:04 am
SixOfWands wrote:
We were also there circa that era. Maid of the Mist was closed; it closes for the season in early November. But we were lucky, and it was actually quite warm.

If you go, check out the butterfly conservatory.

Then maybe it was Journey to the Bottom of the Falls. I thought we did one of them.
And yes, conservatory is the word I wanted.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:22 am
When we went several years ago around Thanksgiving, Maid of the Mist was still operating. But I just checked their web page and see that they close on November 5 this year, which is disappointing, since that's definitely one of the coolest ways to experience the Falls.

DVOM

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 12:40 pm
I went once in the winter. It's not the same experience as the summer, but I thought the icy falls were so beautiful. Are you going as a family, or just with your spouse? I could see it being a very tough trip with kids, because its so cold there isn't much to do outside. But if its just you and your husband I'd say go for it!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 1:53 pm
OP here, thx for all your replies! I booked our tickets this morning! (Yes,its just me and my hubby, leaving kids at home!)

Keep sharing your ideas... what to do, where to eat... we'll probably stay near the airport in Buffalo.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 3:51 pm
You'll have a much better time if you stay at the Falls, on the Canadian side. That's where virtually all the attractions are, and with the cold weather, it will be much more convenient to be right in the heart of things. Prices will also be down since it's off-season. Also, the border crossing shouldn't be bad, but you never know, and I wouldn't want to deal with it multiple times back and forth.

Hashem91

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 4:56 pm
I went to Niagara Falls in January. Beautiful scenery! But you have to dress in very warm clothes. It's freeezing!!! And you won't be able to do that boat ride. You'll only be able to take pictures.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics