Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are you happy wearing a sheitel?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Do you want to stop wearing a sheitel?
I'd love to stop because of comfort.  
 13%  [ 41 ]
I'd love to stop because of cost.  
 1%  [ 4 ]
I'd love to stop for convenience (time to get sheitel done).  
 0%  [ 2 ]
I think it's strange to cover your hair with hair.  
 3%  [ 12 ]
I think other methods are more tzanua.  
 1%  [ 5 ]
All or several of the above  
 15%  [ 48 ]
I have never worn a sheitel.  
 10%  [ 31 ]
I have stopped wearing a sheitel  
 3%  [ 12 ]
I like wearing a sheitel.  
 49%  [ 151 ]
Total Votes : 306

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:40 pm
I have changed the subject of the post in deference to BH5745.

I hear what you're saying, T&P, but some things that society demands are for safety (red lights) or for morals (wearing clothing). Others are more in the nature of 'chok', lehavdil. They may be societal norms but there's no real logic to them.

E.g. in DL communities you can cover how you want. In other communities, you're expected to look like everyone else. There's a cartoon I must go locate.

Boca00

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
Depending on how much hair is covered.

Many Tichel wearers unfortunately have plenty of hair sticking out making it much less Tznius than a wig.

I guess it depends who your Rav is and how you define plenty.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:45 pm

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:47 pm
I don’t care about conforming to society. Wearing a sheitel is the only way I feel attractive. Tichel is strictly for exercise or bumming around the house.
I often see women in tichels who I find look both attractive and even (when done right) professional or elegant but these women are naturally very beautiful. When I see women who look more like me — not such a natural beauty — I always think to myself that they would look (and possibly feel) so much better in a sheitel and feel badly for them if they are not allowed. B”H I’m coming from a background where sheitels are strongly encouraged.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
No I don't want to stop wearing a shaitel. I love my sheitels. In fact I hope to buy another one tomorrow.

You’re hysterical! I mean the last sentence!

I also love my sheitels. As soon as I can afford a new one I’ll buy Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:51 pm
Coffee Addict wrote:
You’re hysterical! I mean the last sentence!

I also love my sheitels. As soon as I can afford a new one I’ll buy Smile

Glad I could make you laugh😀 My shaitel macher is having a sale tomorrow. $650 a wig. I hope I can find something I like.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:53 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Glad I could make you laugh😀 My shaitel macher is having a sale tomorrow. $650 a wig. I hope I can find something I like.

I hope so too! Enjoy it in good health!

BH5745

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:55 pm
That cartoon is hilarious, I admit! Will you be surprised though that I think it doesn't exactly apply to women who wear sheitels? Yes it can apply, but I submit that the overwhelming majority of sheitel wearers do so because they enjoy it, not because of peer pressure. It might not seem like it, but there are so many cuts and styles and beautiful small hats one can buy to go on top of your sheitel (if your chevra does such), that it's very hard to say one wears X because their community says so. Personally I like many women enjoy looking pulled together, and like to change up the hat on my sheitel to match my outfit. Many women feel like other head coverings either don't cover all their hair well enough, are hard to match up to their outfit or don't look as pulled together on them as a sheitel.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:57 pm
See, I would maybe think about spending $650. But then I have to get it to fit my head, add baby hairs, be nervous the cut won't be good. Plus I've got a perfectly good, well, not good, but an expensive sheitel I bought not that long ago but needs something done to it. DH just offered he will take it immediately bec I was explaining to him that I am TIRED of putting so much effort into it.

Whereas choosing a scarf from my drawer is something I enjoy.

juggling

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
Depending on how much hair is covered.

Many Tichel wearers unfortunately have plenty of hair sticking out making it much less Tznius than a wig.

I know lots of sheitel wearers who leave out plenty of hair. And lots of tichel wearers who cover everything plus. How much hair you leave out is always a matter of personal choice, regardless of type of hair covering.

jewwoman

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 5:51 pm
I like wearing a sheitel. It means that I always have a good hairday but my weekday sheitel has issues. (Theres always one Rolling Eyes) anyway I lvoe wearing scarves that I tie myself or comfy hats or just nothing(only at home). But I cant wear them in my work or much in my town out.amd.about.
The prices of sheitels are crazy and I think im never.gona be able to buy again. I just don't get how people can mark something so high. IT'S HALACHA! We women dont have a choice. We have to cover our hair and in many places you can't expect frum women to wear a hat/snood/scarf. Something needs to be done. Ladies we need to start a revolution to bring the prices of sheitels down again to manageable prices. Who is with me? Confused

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 5:58 pm
Well, you see if more women would do what they want, which in some cases would be not to wear a sheitel, maybe the ones who are doing the marking up on sheitels would realize that we won't agree to be forced to pay any price at all.

And the more people who come out and wear what they like, what looks good on them, whether hat or scarf etc, the more others will have the courage to do so as well.

Just call me Raizel Parks.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:05 pm
Like wearing a sheitel and would do it even if not as it's our hashkafa that it's the vastly preferable way Kisui Rosh.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:36 pm
I don't always wear a sheitl, because I am not sure I can/want to make that commitment. B"H, I am in a position to make my own choice. But, we go to a Lubavitch shul, and by there a sheitl is a MUST, so there is a little pressure. I must admit that a sheitl DOES cover my hair better than a tichel or hat (I don't understand how to do better without shaving my head!) My dh is very against wearing sheitls. For me, it's a LOT prettier, but comfort is an issue, since I get migraines. So, I wear a sheitl for Shabbos, Yom Tov, and Simchas, and for other special occasions, or sometimes for fun. Otherwise, a hat or tichel while constantly tucking hairs in.

I have a few sheitls, ranging in price from $40 to $160. I can't at this point imagine spending $500 and up for fake hair.

animeme

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:42 pm
I voted "I'd love to stop because of comfort", but that's hair covering in general, and my discomfort easily bows to halachah.

In the house, a tichel is more comfy and goes on and off easier, so I wear that. Outside at work, shul, etc, I wear a sheitel and prefer it to a tichel because of how I look and because I like the feel of having hair. I really like the look of the fancy Wrapunzel type tichels, but find them more uncomfortable than sheitels, so I prefer a sheitel. Plus, it can be nice not to stand out. (Am not in E"Y.)

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:43 pm

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:29 pm
imasoftov, can you please explain? I must be slow tonight.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
imasoftov, can you please explain? I must be slow tonight.

I don't get it either. Does she want to blow up her sheitel?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:37 pm
I love the fact that I can wear a tichel to work and feel comfortable (I work in healthcare)
I have a few sheitals that I got cheaply that I wear occasionally on shabbos or to weddings and I also think that wearing hair on top of hair is kinda bizarre
Like we cover our hair for fidelity but then put something much more stunning on top which is deceiving to fidelity...

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:41 pm
I don't wear my sheitel for "fidelity". I wear it to fulfill the mitzvah of kisui rosh in the way my rav poskens.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics