Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are you happy wearing a sheitel?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Do you want to stop wearing a sheitel?
I'd love to stop because of comfort.  
 13%  [ 41 ]
I'd love to stop because of cost.  
 1%  [ 4 ]
I'd love to stop for convenience (time to get sheitel done).  
 0%  [ 2 ]
I think it's strange to cover your hair with hair.  
 3%  [ 12 ]
I think other methods are more tzanua.  
 1%  [ 5 ]
All or several of the above  
 15%  [ 48 ]
I have never worn a sheitel.  
 10%  [ 31 ]
I have stopped wearing a sheitel  
 3%  [ 12 ]
I like wearing a sheitel.  
 49%  [ 151 ]
Total Votes : 306

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:46 pm
The only person who needs to know you're covering your hair is YOU (and maybe DH). Divorced and widowed women wear them too, so it's not intended to be a mark of "taken." (There's wedding rings for that, though I don't wear 'em.)

There is no problem in it being beautiful. It just shouldn't be provocative, same as your shirt, skirt, jewelry, shoes and stockings shouldn't be provocative.

(Of course if your Rav holds that tichels are superior, you follow your Rav's shita.)

tymama

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:58 pm
My hair isn’t that pretty but I hate wearing wigs. Makes me sweat and just uncomfortable
I don’t find tichels to be flattering . I guess I’ll have to grin and bear it

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:27 pm
The only thing that matters is how you feel.

I love my sheitels and I think they're fabulous. Much nicer than what's underneath. I have no interest in stopping to wear a wig, and I also wear tichels out and (gasp) snoods with no issue depending on my mood, the weather, and the amount of time I have in the morning.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:42 pm
Totally feel ya! My face just does not look right with a tichel for some reason, I am much less self conscious wearing a sheitel.

icebreaker wrote:
I just like wearing my sheitals. I like tichels, too, and during the summer when it’s hot, I will wear a tichel instead of a sheital. But in winter, the sheital keeps my head warm lol.

I also have a very round, chubby face and big cheeks and so wearing a tichel often makes me look like a chipmunk. Wearing a sheital in a way that slims down my face takes away that insecurity that I do look like a chipmunk.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:29 am
icebreaker wrote:
I just like wearing my sheitals. I like tichels, too, and during the summer when it’s hot, I will wear a tichel instead of a sheital. But in winter, the sheital keeps my head warm lol.

I also have a very round, chubby face and big cheeks and so wearing a tichel often makes me look like a chipmunk. Wearing a sheital in a way that slims down my face takes away that insecurity that I do look like a chipmunk.

ME TOO! I think I look like a chipmunk! I still wear hats and tichels and kercheifs, but those long face-framing layers of a sheitl make me feel more beautiful.

potatoes

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:00 am
How about the option "I believe a shaitel is the most tznius form to cover your hair, more tznius than other forms"
Because that's the catagory I fall into and all woman from my circle as well. It is the shitah we follow.
Additionally, luckily, I love my shaitel and feel pretty in it. I am happy I can be part of an open minded, genuine ,real, ultra orthodox group that believes to wear a shaitel, as I get to look pretty every day

Edited for spelling

Last edited by potatoes on Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:41 am
I love wearing my shietel.
I think my hair is covered much more with the shietel.
and I think I look way better.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:29 am
I picked the option of wanting to stop due to comfort. I find tichels and snoods so much more comfortable than a sheitel, so that's what I wear much of the time. Yes, I do look better in my sheitel, but with my (mild to moderate) sensory issues, and being prone to migraines, comfort definitely trumps fashion as far as I am concerned. If it were up to me, I would wear a long slinky skirt, comfy tshirt-like top, and snood or pre-tied every day. But, alas, I also realize that it is important to dress more formally and presentably in certain contexts such as at work, at simchas, and at programs at my children's schools. So, for those venues, I put on more formal clothing, which includes my sheitel. Of course, if my rav held against sheitels, I wouldn't wear one even in those contexts, but since that is not the case, my only reason for not wearing my sheitel would be in order to be more comfortable, and I don't believe that reason alone is justification enough for "dressing down" in certain venues.

papermageling

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:34 am
I've never owned a sheitel. I have a large head and no money, so it's not really very feasible.

That said, I expected before I got married to cover primarily with tichels and hats or whatever anyway. I'm a BT, and my mother is, for whatever reason, wary of sheitels. She sees them as oppressive somehow. Aside from that, however, both her and my many non-frum friends really just don't understand sheitels. Even a very natural one would look very different from my regular hair, and a tichel is just easier to explain.

Women in my community cover in many different ways, so it's not a big deal. In the community I lived in when I got married, women who covered did so with a sheitel, so I stuck out like a sore thumb. And got comments, mostly well intentioned. But given that a sheitel was not even financially possible, it was cover and stick out, or don't cover.

I enjoy playing with my tichels. I have them in beautiful colors and textures, and I can totally wear a sparkly purple tichel and people think it's lovely. Whereas even with my non-conformist tendencies, a sparkly purple sheitel would be a bit much for anything but Purim.

On a side note, I cover my hair completely with my tichel. I hold that two-fingers width in front is okay, but I cover it entirely and then just don't stress if things slip a bit. I have super slippery hair, even with a velvet headband. I get a lot of compliments on them, so I assume they're reasonably flattering even though I'm overweight and, uh, not conventionally attractive. But I do try to tie them so they look good with my face, and so no one is going to ask if I left my cleaning schmatta on my head.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 4:20 am
If I couldn't be fully me and beautiful (dislike plain scarves, hate big poofs) I would struggle a lot to cover with simcha.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 5:44 am
Personally I don't have the patience with head scarves - it's either sheitel or turban (I must have been Chassidish or Yerushalmi in my previous life as I love turbans. As a child I would dry my hair with a large towel wrapped as a turban). 99% of the head scarves don't cover the hair properly. I see it all the time. Never mind, let each of us use the head gear she likes. After all, it's her head, right?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 5:48 am
tymama wrote:
My hair isn’t that pretty but I hate wearing wigs. Makes me sweat and just uncomfortable
I don’t find tichels to be flattering . I guess I’ll have to grin and bear it

Ever tried a hat? Yaffa Deri (wife of Arie Deri of Shas party in Israel) always has a hat and they are very very stylish! Or in your community it won't work?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 6:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
No I don't want to stop wearing a shaitel. I love my sheitels. In fact I hope to buy another one tomorrow.

You are so funny! Good luck and have fun!!
And yes I absolutely love love wearing sheitals!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
Depending on how much hair is covered.

Many Tichel wearers unfortunately have plenty of hair sticking out making it much less Tznius than a wig.
Its perfectly fine and tzanua if you learned and hold that a certain amount of hair can be uncovered. I learned and hold that I can have a certain amount of hair uncovered, so a kerchief is perfect for me as I cover the correct amount and leave the rest out, and I am allowed to do that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:04 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Personally I don't have the patience with head scarves - it's either sheitel or turban (I must have been Chassidish or Yerushalmi in my previous life as I love turbans. As a child I would dry my hair with a large towel wrapped as a turban). 99% of the head scarves don't cover the hair properly. I see it all the time. Never mind, let each of us use the head gear she likes. After all, it's her head, right?
Not everyone learns that ones hair has to ALL be covered. I learned differently, so if you would see me on the street, you would see hair sticking out of my mitpachat, but I hold that that is fine and allowed, so it is done properly, for me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:20 am
I personally had beautiful hair before getting married (it was long and curly with a lot of volume) and thought it would be super difficult for me to cover. But I never owned or wore a wig, as I think they are not tznius. I own a lot of tichels and hats - of many sorts. If I'm already covering, I rather cover with something that will fully cover my hair according to all opinions and that everyone will know it is a covering. Also, I think tichels really bring out the beauty and glow in each woman's face, whereas when one is wearing a sheitel, the hair is more noticeable than the face.
Just my honest opinion.

eschaya

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:21 am
I love wearing my (beautiful) sheitels on occasions where I want to look dressed up and classy.
I love wearing my tichels/scarves when I want to look funky and be more comfortable at the same time.
I don't love snoods but will pull one on when time is of the essence and appearance is not important.
And I absolutely love walking around my own home with my hair uncovered and thrown into a messy bun on days that I'm home and can enjoy the sheer freedom of a bare head.

Lakol zman v'eis.

I hate the expense, time and energy necessary to keep my sheitel looking good.
I hate when my tichels slide around and I have to constantly re-adjust, and it's also frustrating when I don't get taken seriously in the professional world because I have a scarf on my head.
I hate when I get caught wearing a snood in public and feel like a bag lady.
And I hate that my hair has become so much thinner and colorless over the past many years of covering and sometimes feel ashamed of myself when I look in the mirror.

There are pros and cons to each method. And if you are covering for the sake of Heaven, then kol hakavod. Why the need to change other people?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:31 am
I found that comic extremely sad, not funny at all. It does not have to be that way, where everyone s wearing the same "uniform". I know in my community everyone wears what they feel to be correct for them. No uniform to follow at all.

Water Stones

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:43 pm
I don't like wearing a sheital, but I do it because I'm supposed to.

I love how I look and feel like when I put on a beautiful Israeli scarf sometimes at home.

bsy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:56 pm
I do not like wearing a sheital because I find them very uncomfortable. I don't love snoods either; after a while my ears and head hurt. On the other hand, I like the way I look in sheitals.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics