Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to get rid of reoccurring strep?
1  2  Next

goforit

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 7:26 am
My kids are getting back to back strep a few times. Any tips how to get rid of it for good?

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 7:40 am
You tried changing the antibiotics?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 7:45 am
Have you replaced all their toothbrushes?

BayMom

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:12 am
Some people are strep carriers and will always test positive for strep. Unless there's fever they should not be taking antibiotics.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:35 am
We couldn't break the cycle until DD got her tonsils out. She never got it again!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:36 am
BayMom wrote:
Some people are strep carriers and will always test positive for strep. Unless there's fever they should not be taking antibiotics.

We got negative cultures in between so they are not carriers.

Yes we changed tooth brush heads (they have electric ones)

Any vitamins? This is effecting there behavior and learning. They get so out of sync when they have strep. Any ideas pls

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:47 am
We tried everything. Dd was put on the strongest antibiotics for a month to get rid of it from her system. She was put on tuberculosis meds to try to eradicate it. We finally took out her tonsils 2 years ago. We should have taken them out long ago. Recovery is so much easier for a younger child. It was the pandas that got us to do it. Don't wait for pandas. It's not something you can get rid of. If the kids are getting strep at least 5-6 times a year, go see a good surgeon. And don't have them scraped off but burned off and removed in total.

creditcards

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:58 am
My mother used to get recurring strep all the time. She tried all types of antibiotics and doses. They were talking about removing her tonsils. Then one day she was hospitalized for a different reason and was given strong antibiotics by Ivy. Since then her strep is gone. For years already.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:05 am
amother wrote:
Have you replaced all their toothbrushes?

This is super important. You need to be replacing their tooth brushes on the third day after antibiotics is started.

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:49 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
This is super important. You need to be replacing their tooth brushes on the third day after antibiotics is started.

I was told after 10 days, but regardless it’s super important to change toothbrush.

BasMelech120

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:55 am
You might want to talk to your doctor about having tonsils/adenoids removed.

saboni

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:01 am
We were only able to get rid of it when the entire family took antibiotics at the same time

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:07 am
saboni wrote:
We were only able to get rid of it when the entire family took antibiotics at the same time

I was thinking this, are they passing it from one to another and back or are they all getting it at the same time?

I was just reading recently that there is a specific probiotic that is effective against recurring strep. I forgot what it's called but you should definitely look into that. It's not just any random probiotic mixture though.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:19 am
seeker wrote:
I was thinking this, are they passing it from one to another and back or are they all getting it at the same time?

I was just reading recently that there is a specific probiotic that is effective against recurring strep. I forgot what it's called but you should definitely look into that. It's not just any random probiotic mixture though.

Please can you lead me to where you heard about this?

Its 3 of us that have it now and 2 are on clydomician and one amoxicillin. Really dont want to take out there tonsils. Hashem put it there for a reason.

We are already dealing with the pandas. Sooo noo fun!
Any ideas please.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:27 am
We also stopped it by removing tonsils.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:42 am
It was a quote from a pediatrician in a recent Mishpacha Family First, maybe if you email the editors they can share it.

If you're dealing with PANDAS too I think many doctors use Zithromax to knock it out.

rgr

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
We tried everything. Dd was put on the strongest antibiotics for a month to get rid of it from her system. She was put on tuberculosis meds to try to eradicate it. We finally took out her tonsils 2 years ago. We should have taken them out long ago. Recovery is so much easier for a younger child. It was the pandas that got us to do it. Don't wait for pandas. It's not something you can get rid of. If the kids are getting strep at least 5-6 times a year, go see a good surgeon. And don't have them scraped off but burned off and removed in total.

Why do you say not to scrape them down?
My sis had that and it worked

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:51 am
rgr wrote:
Why do you say not to scrape them down?
My sis had that and it worked

Because of dd's 9 year history with strep as well as the pandas history this is what was determined with the surgeon. With scraping there is a chance it will grow back. Recovery is harder though with full removal.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:03 pm
If you are dealing with pandas having t&a removed might not necessarily help. Strep can hang out anywhere in the body and will likely just shift locations [where it will be harder to find and treat]. You essentially need to make their body inhospitable to the bacteria. There are ways to heal your kids but they are by no means quick fixes.

goforit

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
If you are dealing with pandas having t&a removed might not necessarily help. Strep can hang out anywhere in the body and will likely just shift locations [where it will be harder to find and treat]. You essentially need to make their body inhospitable to the bacteria. There are ways to heal your kids but they are by no means quick fixes.

Where should I look into it this? This is the stuff I am looking for.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics